Answered

My system starts up out of nowhere and builds to max volume

• 18 June 2021
  • 6 replies

There have been numerous posts like this.  Usually, in the middle of the night or at the most inopportune time, my system starts playing music I never listen to at loud volumes.  There is no cat.  No one has access to my system but me.  There was an alarm set at this most recent time, but I never set it.  I usually deal with this but this whole thing is getting terribly frustrating.  I’m afraid of going to bed and having this happening. 

I submitted a diagnostic: 766755487

As I said, there was an alarm set, but to my knowledge no one has ever set it.

icon

Best answer by James L. 18 June 2021, 17:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Source of the music playing? I.e in most cases that have gotten resolution and posted here in the forums, it’s been a ‘Spotify Connect’ issue, where someone had access to your system while in your LAN. If you don’t change sources after they leave to break that connection, they maintain the ability to play on your system, and most frequently don’t realize it. Since they’re intending to play locally, but aren’t hearing anything, the tendency is to turn up the speakers, not realizing it is playing on yours and not theirs. 

Hello, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I am the only person to use the system and my roommate and I are the only people using the LAN.  I do know that with 100% certainty that my roommate does not use the system as I am the only one who does.  We do however use Spotify on other devices, but again neither of us don’t listen to the music that usually gets played, and neither do the people that live adjacent. I definitely want a solution to this problem, however the one you presented doesn’t seem to solve the problem.

I’ve definitely scrolled through several discussion boards looking for a answer.  Many people have been in the same place as I with the system, and many never appeared to receive an answer or solution, beyond “someone is trying to use your system.”  With the most recent post (as much as I have discovered) dating from a couple years ago, I had hoped a solution  or reasoning might have been found by now. 

Badge +17

Hi @Jason315,

I’ve taken a look at your diagnostic and I can see which device is performing the volume control. I can’t get too specific here in a public setting, but it appears to be the iPhone used to control the system most often, and the one used to trigger the diagnostic. The speed and pattern of the volume changes would indicate to me to be presses/holding the physical volume buttons on the device itself, perhaps when trying to change the volume of some other media. The only guidance I can give for this is to ensure that Home Screen Volume Control is turned Off. You can find this under Settings → App Preferences in the Sonos S2 app.

Edit: The device starting playback is actually a different iPhone than the one controlling the volume. To clarify, the one controlling the volume is the one the diagnostic was submitted from, but the one starting the music is a different device.

Is there a way that you can email me info about the other iPhone?

Badge +17

Is there a way that you can email me info about the other iPhone?

Hi Jason,

I’ve replied to your DM.

It would be helpful, for future reference, to know what the problem was here.  Was is the cat?