Answered

My Sonos Roam switches itself off after a few minutes. It has plenty of battery.

Badge

Hi, 

After a fair bit of work, I have added a Sonos Roam to an S2 system and got my compatible speakers working with S2, and integrated all speakers with Google Assistant.

All good. Now when I ask GA on Sonos Roam to play BBC Radio 6, it plays it from TuneIn.

Then after a few minutes, the Roam powers off with no input / touch from me.

When I turn it back on, S2 tells me it is at 91% battery. GA on the Roam tells me it is 87%. I.e. it has not switched off because it is out of battery.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Thanks,

David.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 28 April 2021, 20:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

David_127,
I’ve not personally seen the reported behaviour, but perhaps the next time it happens, submit a Sonos diagnostic report and post it’s generated reference back here in this thread and then chat to Sonos Support via this LINK to see if there is an issue with the WiFi signal, or the device.

Badge

Thanks. It powers off completely and has no issues with WiFi when switched back on in the same location. If it’s powered off, then I’m not sure it will provide any information in a Diagnostics report. But I'll give it a go. I suspect it’s a fault with the device.

Thanks. It powers off completely and has no issues with WiFi when switched back on in the same location. If it’s powered off, then I’m not sure it will provide any information in a Diagnostics report. But I'll give it a go. I suspect it’s a fault with the device.

It’s best to submit the diagnostic report whilst the device is connected and showing in the App.

Badge

Thanks for that - did that while on with support and they saw an issue that may indicate a problem. I did a full reset and it didn’t happen for a while. Though I’ve just gone to un-pause a radio station after about 30 minutes and it had powered down again. Fingers crossed it only happens when paused.

Thanks for that - did that while on with support and they saw an issue that may indicate a problem. I did a full reset and it didn’t happen for a while. Though I’ve just gone to un-pause a radio station after about 30 minutes and it had powered down again. Fingers crossed it only happens when paused.

If there’s no activity on the Roam, then it should fallback to sleep-mode after 30 minutes, so I guess that’s what likely happened in your case.

Badge

Good to know, it could have been in sleep mode. ’ve still seem some strange behaviour. The music cut out again, without powering off. I started playing it again, and then after 10 minutes it powered off. Then tried again and the music cut out. WiFi connection is fine, battery over 90%. Replayed music, and it powered off again after just a few minutes. May be related to whether I interact via the S2 app or Voice Assistant. Also it played for a long time when I took my phone to a different part of the house. Beginning to grasp at straws. I will monitor and try it in different environments, e.g. away from my WiFi.

Badge

Now it’s stopping after a few minutes. Grouped with a PlayBar, music on the PlayBar stops when the Portable powers off. Diagnostic report confirmation number before this happens: 423463781.

Badge

And another one, as I can’t predict when it will happen: 64449131

Badge

And here’s one after it happened again: 3216590. I played a TuneIn Radio station on Portable (Sonos Roam) joined to Living Room (Playbar) and the music stopped after 2 or 3 minutes on Living Room, and I see the Roam is powered off. So the Roam is pretty much unusable.

Badge +17

And here’s one after it happened again: 3216590. I played a TuneIn Radio station on Portable (Sonos Roam) joined to Living Room (Playbar) and the music stopped after 2 or 3 minutes on Living Room, and I see the Roam is powered off. So the Roam is pretty much unusable.

@David_127, please get in touch with our customer care team. I can confirm from the diagnostics that your Roam is definitely fully powering off and not due to low battery. I suspect something internally isn’t quite right with your unit.

Badge

And another: Roam was grouped with Study and playing a TuneIn station that was started on Study; then Roam stopped playing; Study kept playing; Roam still powered on; try to join using Play/Pause button long press - nothing happened; Roam still visible in S2 on phone, so select music - app shows it is playing, but no sound, (not muted, volume high); said “Hey Google” and asked for temperature; LED flashes like it is processing speech; no response. Diagnostic for this state: 567458701. Should I take this back and hope that it is simply faulty hardware?

Badge +17

And another: Roam was grouped with Study and playing a TuneIn station that was started on Study; then Roam stopped playing; Study kept playing; Roam still powered on; try to join using Play/Pause button long press - nothing happened; Roam still visible in S2 on phone, so select music - app shows it is playing, but no sound, (not muted, volume high); said “Hey Google” and asked for temperature; LED flashes like it is processing speech; no response. Diagnostic for this state: 567458701. Should I take this back and hope that it is simply faulty hardware?

@David_127, in the post above yours I recommended reaching out to our care team. Please do this, we’ve seen enough examples of your system on the community :slight_smile:

Badge

Just saw your response James, thanks for taking a look at the diagnostic. I had a long session with the Customer Care team a few days ago. We reset the Sonos etc. It takes a lot of time that I don’t really have at the moment. Is it possible to get some hints via this channel or email? Maybe I should request an exchange from the shop I bought it at.

Badge +17

Just saw your response James, thanks for taking a look at the diagnostic. I had a long session with the Customer Care team a few days ago. We reset the Sonos etc. It takes a lot of time that I don’t really have at the moment. Is it possible to get some hints via this channel or email? Maybe I should request an exchange from the shop I bought it at.

You can directly link this community thread to the agent you speak to - that should skip a lot of the troubleshooting though they may want to do some steps to confirm. You can also mention that I sent you over there and they can reach out to me with any questions.