My Sonos no longer sees my iPhone music library

Without explanation my iPhone music library no longer appars on the Sonos menu as an ption to play - I'm left with just radio stations etc. I recenly updated my iPhone which included a freshening up of the music app on the iPhone 6 - now no joy with SONOS - anyone help?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Hello Richard.  When you say that the iPhone music library has disappeared do you mean the "This iPhone" option has gone?  Assuming so, and assuming that you still have music on your phone (!) you might try uninstalling your iPhone Sonos Controller and then reinstalling from the App Store.  When you add your controller back into your Sonos system make sure you select "Add to Existing System" and NOT "set up new Sonos system"
Yes. Just done that. Still not here.
Is the new iPhone 'My music' not working with the Sonos?
I have exactly the same problem it's very, very annoying, I've deleted and reinstalled the app - no joy?? PLEASE HELP,
I have the same problem. Interestingly, I just purchased a new song from iTunes and that song is the only song/artist that shows up when I try to access "this iphone" in the Sonos App. All of my other music shows up in Apple's music app, but can't be seen through Sonos. I've removed the Sonos app and reinstalled, rebooted iPhone and router. Curiously, my spouse's iPhone Sonos app works just fine. (Both are iPhone 6's with latest iOS)
they are ALL downloaded on the phone??? not streamed!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
downloaded to phone via iTunes sync?
Thanks for all the comments. Sonos managed to solve my problem by taking over my iMac and re synching my iPhone using the USB lead, though I don't think even they knew how it worked. I haven't joined Apple's music streaming service as I think Apple runs enough of my life as it is! (In the same way, I've not yet joined a movie streaming service). Besides, I like finding obscure music on SoundCloud and watching movies that are only on DVD. However, I think that Sonos will have to do something to ensure that people who do use the Apple iTunes service can play their music via the wifi., without resorting to Apple TV.
Allow the Sonos app on iOS to have access to your iTunes library: settings > scroll down to Sonos > App Settings > iTunes Music (slider should be on the right hand side)
i am sure you guys have figured this out but i just spent an annoying hour trying to figure it out myself. all i had to do was go to itunes and actually download the album and then everything showed up!! not sure why they weren't downloaded to start with but there was nothing!
Still not working for me 😞 it was all working ok for the longest time, and all of a sudden can no longer play some of the songs in my queue that are from my iphone. Please help!?!
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi User87677, please remove the tracks from your queue, then re-add them from the "This iPhone" menu.
I managed to solve this problem by using the SONOS Preferences to switch the iTunes Music button off and then on again.
I had this problem today and tried all of the above. What finally worked for me was to plug my phone into the computer and sync my music again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes - meant your music was not actually on your phone previously. These days with music in the cloud its hard to tell when you have it on your device or its streaming.
Yes - meant your music was not actually on your phone previously. These days with music in the cloud its hard to tell when you have it on your device or its streaming.

Easy way to tell is if it has a picture of a phone/ipod with a tick in it next to the time of the song

That's what had me stumped for ages as it used to have a cloud next to it if it wasn't actually on your device
i am sure you guys have figured this out but i just spent an annoying hour trying to figure it out myself. all i had to do was go to itunes and actually download the album and then everything showed up!! not sure why they weren't downloaded to start with but there was nothing!
This worked for me!
So I guess I just got lucky. I also "lost access" to my music on my iPhone 6. The music is on the phone and not streamed. I bought the music thru iTunes over time and had it arranged in Playlists and have for some time played it thru Sonos successfully

The forum above was helpful as it caused me to look for settings in Sonos to find the issue.

In Sonos Settings, find App Settings, then move the bar to allow Media Library.......life is good again
Thanks mnmm. This did the trick. Very annoying that some Developer decided to make that the default setting which caused all of their customers unnecessary frustration in having to go look this up. Very grateful that I found this so quickly but feel bad for the folks that had to spend their precious time to figure this out. Thanks!
Exact same problem here. With no warning the Sonos app will no longer see the music in my iphone. Sonos Support cant figure it out. We tried everything. Im told that they'll call me back after they figure it out. They said that they'd call back in 30 minites. Its been 4 hours...
I just started using SONOS for the first time today and have this issue. The songs on my iPhone SE can be seen and played, but it does nor see the songs on a family member's 6. I tried all mentioned above, nada
I just got off the phone with support having this exact problem. Phone would not show content located in my itunes library. Turns out this particular solution was with the restrictions on the iphone in use. Go to Settings, General, Restrictions. If on, toggle restrictions to off. Once I did that and opened the sonos app again, all of my itunes downloaded music was available for playing. Hope this helps.
I had a similar problem. I spent 2 weeks trying to figure out why my Sonos App on my iphone 6S couldn't play songs that were on my iphone. They were definitely on the phone as I could play them directly through Music app on the phone. I even spent an hour with Sonos Tech support and they couldn't figure it out either. Their solution was for me to copy the songs over to my other phone (and android) and play off of that since everything would work on that phone fine. That was a bit ridiculous of a suggestion. Later, they said it was our companies MobilIron software that created a firewall preventing it, but that also was incorrect. Ultimately, I found out it was related to my "Restrictions" setting that blocked all third apps. Once I turned that off, everything worked fine. You have to go to "Settings" then "General" and then go to "Restrictions" and set that to off. You will need to remember your 4 digit PIN for you to do this. I forgot mine but after 10 tries, I finally remembered the PIN. I hope this helps someone. This is the same issue balassit mentioned. I only added this again because Sonos tech support should have really new this.
I am super annoyed right now. I spend money on things like Sonos because they are supposed to easy. I've tried the suggestions above - updating my Sonos setting, updating my IOS settings for Sonos application, etc... I have not tried re syncing my iTunes library to my computer because everything is on my phone these days, who syncs to a computer anymore? I am debating between ditching Sonos completely or whether i should go into our local audio and video store, which set up our system, and have them fix it I am sure they will do it for free because they have awesome customer service but shouldn't Sonos do something for their customers?
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
bjc, I would recommend you contact Sonos support directly for assistance. These forums may get a reply, but primarily you're being aided by other Sonos customers like yourself.

Most of this thread is fairly old (1+ year), so while something might be of benefit, your issue could also be caused by totally new changes in iOS.