Question

My Sonos keeps disconnecting.

• 16 October 2014
  • 66 replies

I have a sonos bridge and 2 sonos 1. Every now an then the music stops playing and when I look in the sonos app it can only find one of my players. I connect the other one and group them again. I start the music and 5 min. later the music stops again. I have tried to reboot everything - the players, the bridge, my router, my modem - everything. It is also happening with only one of the players playing. It used to work fine, but has changed to this overnight. I have tried to change my Sonos to channel 11 and router to channel 1, moved my bridge away from my router. But it din't help. What to do?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

66 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
This is happening to me now with 2 brand new play 1.  
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for that diagnostic, it looks like the players are losing connection with the router pretty regularly. Can you please restart that router to make sure there's nothing residual on the network. Unplugging it for about 15 seconds and plugging it back in will do it. When the router comes back up, your players will connect to it automatically.

Are you using a hidden SSID for your wireless network or is it broadcasted normally?
I am having very similar problems.  I have 3 sonos play5 running on wifi, one which is connected with an ethernet cable. The one in my kitchen always drops off after a period of time.  I've tried finding an optimal wifi channel with an optimizer.  and I have set my router to a set channel 1, and my sonos play5 on channel 11.  Can I please get some help with this.  diagnostics #4485889
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So you are using sonosnet. How far is the kitchen speaker from the next closest Sonos unit. Make sure the one you have wired to router is as far from router as possible.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
I was having the same problems with dropouts. I also knew that I added a few other devices that were using wifi. I decided to purchase a new high end router and that fixed the problem, either my old router was dying or it couldn't handle the load.
So you are using sonosnet. How far is the kitchen speaker from the next closest Sonos unit. Make sure the one you have wired to router is as far from router as possible.
It's about 30 feet away.  I've moved the wired sonos so that it is further away from the router.  It still wasn't working after doing this.  I tried something else.. I switched the two wireless play5's and still, the one in the kitchen that was now in my bedroom was not working.  So I tried something else.. I switched around the play5's so that the one that wasn't working is now wired.  With this new set-up I'm a still picking up the other two but the one from the kitchen, that is wired, isn't visible.. and I noticed the lights at the back on the ethernet port are not flashing and when I try to hit Play & volume at the same time it doesn't change the current white light like it did for the others... help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Something definitely wrong with that one.  Have you tried a factory reset on it and then try adding it back. https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1107/~/factory-resetting-a-sonos-component

If still nothing I would call Sonos support.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
As Chris suggested, if your player has dropped from the list and doesn't respond to the buttons being pressed (just pressing the Mute is a good test) than there might be a problem with the unit. Just rebooting it by unplugging the power for a few minutes may bring it back up. 

If this happens regularly with the unit, I'd recommend giving us a call.
Same here. Both with bridge and without... Started a few months back (after YEARS of no problems), and seem to increase in frequency... I think Sonos owe their customers to have a proper look at this!
Hi there, 

Same problem. Can you help us? 

Here's the:
Your confirmation number is: 4498442.

Thanks, Enrico
I have had my Sonos 5 and 3 and bridge since they first came out. Since the new interface it does not stay connected to wifi, its own service, nor the bridge. I even hit pause versus shutting it down and it still does not stay connected to ANYTHING (IPAD, PC, MAC, Iphone, nor Android. So very frustrating that I am considering selling it all on ebay and buying some other wireless system. This is rediculous and I am an AVID FAN of SONOS out of the gate.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you contacted Sonos to resolve your issues ?
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Have you added other devices to your network recently? Mine was doing the same thing until I changed out my router. Either my router was dying or the extra devices put too much of a strain on the network.
I'm having a similar problem--my confirmation number is 4504055
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Everyone. If you have an issue I would recommend crating a new thread describing your issue and if have done diagnostic note it there. Posting to older threads means Sonos may miss your important request. Basso there is the option of calling Sonos. Also posting to older threads doesn't describe your particular situation well so others can try and help.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Adding to this, if you have a BOOST/BRIDGE and experience dropouts/lost devices, rule out the Ethernet cable by reseating it at both ends (BRIDGE/BOOST and Router/Switch); ideally swap out the cable with a known good one. If you use the BOOST/BRIDGE as a switch, try to avoid this and don't daisy chain components. Connect the Sonos device directly to your router.
Same here. Both with bridge and without... Started a few months back (after YEARS of no problems), and seem to increase in frequency... I think Sonos owe their customers to have a proper look at this!
Same here! We are in a spa and music keeps going out all the time - and ungrouping. How can I get onto someone to help?
*sigh* so, my Play5 fell into this category as well (stops playing music after a while).

After going through the full diagnostic with the tech support (awesome service btw) it seems the device has a hardware failure (somehow they figured it was classified under power loss). The only solution is to go for a repair with hefty fees or get a new component. The component is 3 years old so guarantee is over.

Before making the choice of continuing investing in Sonos equipment or switch to something else, can the folks who have posted here maybe comment if they managed to resolve their problems? I'd be interested on knowing if this is a general trend on Sonos components or if I just happened to had bad luck.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi Felipe_2,

Welcome to the Sonos community. I am sorry to hear about your faulty Play:5. I have a house full of Sonos speakers and I live in Fort Lauderdale and we were hit by lightning the other day. The lightning killed a big palm tree in my yard and a TV, TV box, Router and the power supply to my Sonos Bridge. All the rest of my Sonos gear is fine! My gear works great 100% of the time and I am very happy with Sonos.

I suggest that you start a new thread and ask if folks are happy with their Sonos systems. I think this post was lost in all the other posts on this thread and that is why you have not heard from any other happy Sonos users.

Les
We have two Sonos Amps in the office, and one has just started dropping off, both are connected via ethernet, would it be possible to take a look at the diagnostics and let us know if its something on the network or a an issue with the hardware.

The device will flash amber if I unplug and then plug it back in but once it drops it will not flash until we turn it off and on again. The amp is connected to an external device radio via the line out.

151021-000982 i just installed at a big business and all eyes are on me to fix this problem the controller is lousing connection with the player. i cant find the problem any thing would help im looking like a dumb ass and thats not cool with the training i have. im hoping this dose not cost me my job because i realy like what i do. on top of the 6 figure pay out..... PLEASE HELP !! FYI it is hard wired and there are no other problems on the network and i have the network administrator to help and still stumped
Hi, I have Playbar, Play1 (1x) & Bridge. I use Playbar and Play1 to watch my TV. However each time i turn TV On and Off, i need to go in to my Sonos App to reconnect Play1. Can please any one tell me if this is a normal behaviour?

Also I noticed that if you have two Play1, you can hook them up to Stereo under 'Room Settings' and then' add surrounds'. Would that resolve the issue of having to reconnect the play1 as stand alone product? Thanks George
Badge
I have the same problem. My Sonos Play 5 and two Sonos play 1s, keep ungrouping. It is usually when I use my infrared foxtel remote. I just submitted a diagnosis - number is
Your confirmation number is: 5212154

Please help Sonos, as I LOVE your products. I suspect this is a software update issue. I use an android controller as well as a PC controller.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
HI Sed in Surfers Paradise,

You may want to start a new thread as you may get lost on this one.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I have the same problem. My Sonos Play 5 and two Sonos play 1s, keep ungrouping. It is usually when I use my infrared foxtel remote. I just submitted a diagnosis - number is
Your confirmation number is: 5212154

Please help Sonos, as I LOVE your products. I suspect this is a software update issue. I use an android controller as well as a PC controller.

If you're still having this problem can you try changing wireless channel on your network (on channel 6 in the report), to channel 1 and see how it works? If you find that they still ungroup, change to channel 11 and let me know if the problem persists.
I have a sonos bridge and 2 sonos 1. Every now an then the music stops playing and when I look in the sonos app it can only find one of my players. I connect the other one and group them again. I start the music and 5 min. later the music stops again. I have tried to reboot everything - the players, the bridge, my router, my modem - everything. It is also happening with only one of the players playing. It used to work fine, but has changed to this overnight. I have tried to change my Sonos to channel 11 and router to channel 1, moved my bridge away from my router. But it din't help. What to do?

Assuming you have these files downloaded onto your mac as a MP3, you must make a folder with all the music imported in. From this you will go onto Sonos preferences, music libary and then press the + to add a method for your system to find the music. Click on the folder you have just made, wait for the system to update and remove the previous one. This worked for me.
Same problem here. Almost never stays connected from day to day. Not sure what changed but its really getting annoying having to go through set-up every time I want to use the system.