Question

My Sonos keeps disconnecting.

• 16 October 2014
  • 66 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

66 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same problem here. Almost never stays connected from day to day. Not sure what changed but its really getting annoying having to go through set-up every time I want to use the system.

Hi Tpaynez,

Here's a guide to getting your controllers reconnected to your Sonos system.

Once reconnected, please send a diagnostic report in and reply with the confirmation number. I'll take a look and see what is causing your system to lose connection with your controllers.

If you are unable to get reconnected,please let me know.
Same problem here. Almost never stays connected from day to day. Not sure what changed but its really getting annoying having to go through set-up every time I want to use the system.

Hi Tpaynez,

Here's a guide to getting your controllers reconnected to your Sonos system.

Once reconnected, please send a diagnostic report in and reply with the confirmation number. I'll take a look and see what is causing your system to lose connection with your controllers.

If you are unable to get reconnected,please let me know.

Your confirmation number is: 6164775.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Tpaynez,

Your Sonos system lost communication with your router, which is why your controllers couldn't connect. It looks like the ethernet port on your BRIDGE is sometimes active, and sometimes it isn't. This may be due to a faulty ethernet cable. Please try a different ethernet cable and see if that helps.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Man, I'[m having this exact problem, too. What a pain. It started happening out of nowhere (maybe after an update), but it had been working reliably for couple years, ever since I go the sonos. Really a bummer.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Possible fix? I made a sonos playlist and received an error message that I needed to delete some playlist...couldn't create a new playlist. I proceeded to remove several playlists that I don't really use that much. Ever since them, the grouping has worked flawlessly. No more random disconnections where one sonos would get dropped from the group. I don't know if there is any under-the-covers technical reason too many [large] sonos playlist could cause the problem people are reporting here, but my "groups" are working perfectly now for 4-5 days after removing some of my playlists. Worth a shot.
alan_83,

Playlist creation and playing issues are not related.

There is a certain amount of hardware space allocated to SONOS Playlist storage. When you exceed this limit, you'll see that message when attempting to create a new or modified playlist.

Playback issues are caused by communication problems. If you experience another playback issue, submit a diagnostic and follow up with SONOS support.
I have a problem with sonos playbar+sub which keep disconnecting from the group (including two play 1)
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I have a problem with sonos playbar+sub which keep disconnecting from the group (including two play 1)
Please send a diagnostics after that happens, and reply with the confirmation number. https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142
I have a connect:amp and a connect and the connect keeps disappearing (ever since I bought it). It is hardwired to the router and I still have the problem. Diagnostic #6589966.

Thanks
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Shane, I'm afraid there's not much to see on that diagnostic as the CONNECT looks to have been dropped at the time. If it remains online long enough, please submit a diagnostic when it is visible.

It does look like there is a Netgear device acting as the STP root for the CONNECT:AMP; this may be something like a switch or some kind of extender? Please provide us details of this device and any other network devices such as extenders, access points and switches.

Try taking that Netgear out of the network and connecting both the CONNECT:AMP and CONNECT directly to your ISP's router to make a really simple setup for testing. This should work well, assuming no hardware issues such as a faulty Ethernet cable.
Thanks Tom,

New diagnostic number is 6666438.

There was a netgear product used as an extender for other products, but I've disconnected it with no improvement. It remains unplugged/disconnected.

The connect is plugged directly to the router, and the connect:AMP plugged into the Connect. There are no problems with the connect:AMP (have never been). The previous arrangement was the Connect:AMP directly to the router, with the Connect plugged into the Connect:AMP and we had the same problems.

Thanks for the help.

Hi Shane, I'm afraid there's not much to see on that diagnostic as the CONNECT looks to have been dropped at the time. If it remains online long enough, please submit a diagnostic when it is visible.

It does look like there is a Netgear device acting as the STP root for the CONNECT:AMP; this may be something like a switch or some kind of extender? Please provide us details of this device and any other network devices such as extenders, access points and switches.

Try taking that Netgear out of the network and connecting both the CONNECT:AMP and CONNECT directly to your ISP's router to make a really simple setup for testing. This should work well, assuming no hardware issues such as a faulty Ethernet cable.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
What's very unusual here is that the CONNECT:AMP continues to work, whereas the CONNECT (which is the first device in the chain) does not. Can you please wire in the CONNECT:AMP, then Factory Reset the CONNECT, before adding it back in? If the issue persists, it may be time to get in touch on the phone.

Disclaimer for our other users:
We do not recommend Factory Resetting a Sonos product unless it is explicitly stated by a Sonos employee.
The majority of (what wrongfully appear to be) Sonos-related issues are caused by your home network, which a Factory Reset does absolutely nothing to mitigate!
I have recently started having this same issue. I sent in a diagnostic today, but I forgot to note the number. Is there any way for me to retrieve it, or can it just be reviewed based on my account information?
I have just been unplugging the speaker and plugging it back in, resetting it. It is weird that after so long of working without any issues, this now starts to occur. The only new device in our house that is on the 2.4 ghz channel is an echo.
Just do another diagnostic, and write down the number, then come back here and post it. They probably get thousands a day, and I'd bet that they don't look at each one, unless prompted by posting here, or a phone call with the number.

Oh, and be sure to do the diagnostic within 10 minutes or so of the problem occurring, I'm pretty sure those log files that are kept aren't infinite in length. 🙂
Thanks. Now that I know about this issue and forum post, I will make sure to submit the diagnostic if and when it happens again.