Question

My Sonos keeps disconnecting.

• 16 October 2014
  • 66 replies

I have a sonos bridge and 2 sonos 1. Every now an then the music stops playing and when I look in the sonos app it can only find one of my players. I connect the other one and group them again. I start the music and 5 min. later the music stops again. I have tried to reboot everything - the players, the bridge, my router, my modem - everything. It is also happening with only one of the players playing. It used to work fine, but has changed to this overnight. I have tried to change my Sonos to channel 11 and router to channel 1, moved my bridge away from my router. But it din't help. What to do?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

66 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would submit diagnostic and call Sonos to try and find the source of the interference.
Hello!

I have the same issue since few months and I know another Sonos user having it as well.

I never had this problem before. It started, as far as I can remember it, more or less, when Sonos issued the first Beta releases of the new Sonos controller on Android.

The strength of my Wi-Fi signal is Fair.

Is there a way to diagnose the problem?

I find the strange that the problem started with the new release of the controller and few months before Sonos announced the BOOST device.

@Sonos support: was any change in the way the Sonos Wi-Fi network was once handled?
Same here. Both with bridge and without... Started a few months back (after YEARS of no problems), and seem to increase in frequency... I think Sonos owe their customers to have a proper look at this!
Thank you for your reply.

Like you, I have been using my Sonos system for years in the same configuration without problem. The Wi-Fi signal in my house is good and should be more than sufficient to handle the traffic.

I opened yesterday a new support request with Sonos to have it investigated.

My brother is using a large Sonos configuration since years and never had problem before. Like us, the problem started a few months ago.

I am pushing him to report it to Sonos and on blogs so that previous on Sonos increase to fix the problem

I am suspicious that Sonos may have, with last year versions of its software, changed the Wi-Fi management to make the problem and force its customers to drop the bridge and migrate to BOOST which they just released.

Cheers,

Serge
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Like you, I have been using my Sonos system for years in the same configuration without problem. The Wi-Fi signal in my house is good and should be more than sufficient to handle the traffic.

My brother is using a large Sonos configuration since years and never had problem before. Like us, the problem started a few months ago.

I am pushing him to report it to Sonos and on blogs so that previous on Sonos increase to fix the problem

I am suspicious that Sonos may have, with last year versions of its software, changed the Wi-Fi management to make the problem and force its customers to drop the bridge and migrate to BOOST which they just released.

Cheers,

Serge

Hi Serge,

I just looked through your incident with our Support Team and see they suggested check the BRIDGE's network connection. That'll help a lot. Also, the diagnostic showed a lot of interference hitting the BRIDGE for a while, though it cleared up about 10 minutes prior to the diagnostic.

Are you able to check what channel your router is on? I see that Sonos is on 11, and it's very possible your router is set to automatically change the channel. If so, it may have switched to that channel or a nearby one. It's best to use channels 1 and 11 for Sonos and your home router.

If you're still having trouble, I'd recommend giving us a call using reference number 141016-000859 or replying back to that email.

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Same here. Both with bridge and without... Started a few months back (after YEARS of no problems), and seem to increase in frequency... I think Sonos owe their customers to have a proper look at this!
Hi Jesper,

We'd be happy to take a look at your system if you're having trouble. Over the years more devices have been using 2.4GHz networks and just in general there's simply more interference in residential environments as new devices come into homes.

Can you submit a diagnostic from your system if you have an audio cutout or connection issue? If you can, please reply back with your confirmation number.

Thanks

Cheers,

Serge

Good morning and thank you for your message.
When you write that "the diagnostic showed a lot of interference hitting the BRIDGE for a while". What does it exactly means (e.g. many packet retransmissions)?

I will check on which channel is my router operating. I don't think it is configured to automatically change channel. The last time I checked it (few days ago), the best channel proposed by the monitoring tool I am using (Wifi Analyser on Android) was indicating the best channel to be channel 14. Could I use it for Sonos? You seem to to indicate that that channel 1 and 11 should be used only...

Kind regards,

Serge

Cheers,

Serge

Hi Ryan,
I just changed the channel on which operates my Wi-Fi to 13. Channel 14 is not useable by my router.
I wanted to change the channel on the Sonos App but I realise that only 3 channels (1, 6, 11) can be configured. Why this?
To date, the following has been done on my configuration:
1. Change Wi-Fi channel to 13 (the best in my area);
2. Change Bridge to Router Ethernet cable using a new Sonos cable;
I reported the above to Sonos Tech Support under ticket 141016-000859.
I will report to Sonos, in the coming days, whether the above changes solved the problem of the drops offs.
I alos submitted a new diagnostic with # 4107880.
Please let me know if you still see many collisions.
Best regards,
Serge
I am also having this problem.  My Sonos has been working perfectly for years.  Then, starting last week it only plays music for a few minutes before disconnecting completely.  Once this happens, the system is unreachable by any controllers.  (Sorry if my terminology is incorrect.)  To my knowledge I haven't made any changes that would affect this.  

I'm using to Play:5 connected to a BRIDGE, which is plugged into an Apple Airport Extreme router.  Here are things I've tried to fix the problem:

- Restarting the BRIDGE solves the problem, but only for a few minutes.  I've restarted the router and players as well, but that doesn't make a difference.  

- I've also changed the wireless channel from 6 to 1 as well as 11.  It seemed to be working slightly better on 1 but now it's broken again.  A wifi analyzer on my phone shows some interference on channel 11 (from my neighbors), but nothing major. The router is set on channels 3 and 7 (the latter via a powerline extender).

My diagnostic is 4196252.  I haven't tried to configure the system as wifi only (without the BRIDGE).  This is very frustrating.  Could it be hardware failing in the BRIDGE?
Here's a solution we have used (we install large SONOS systems that solves any SONOS issues -

1. Never run a SONOS piece directly off an Apple Airport.....
2. Always insert a Switch (Trendnet has a really basic switch in 5 and 8 port formats) between the Airport and the SONOS Bridge, Connect Amp, Amp, etc....
3. Connect as many SONOS pieces as you like, just never connect directly to an Airport. Connect the Airport in Parallel with the SONOS piece (i.e. both are fed from the switch)

And....bag the SONOS Controllers folks...Yes they are dedicated, but SONOS is in the Widget business and they don't make those Widgets anymore and they just DO NOT CARE.
Prescott: thanks for the reply.  However, I don't understand why plugging the Bridge into a switch and bypassing the Airport would make a difference.  It's not like I've changed anything on the Airport, nor do I have any indication it's malfunctioning.

Also, by "controller" I mean any of the following: my dedicate Sonos controller (yes, I still have one), my updated Android app, or the Sonos application on my Windows machine (which is connected directly to the Airport).
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I am also having this problem.  My Sonos has been working perfectly for years.  Then, starting last week it only plays music for a few minutes before disconnecting completely.  Once this happens, the system is unreachable by any controllers.  (Sorry if my terminology is incorrect.)  To my knowledge I haven't made any changes that would affect this.  

I'm using to Play:5 connected to a BRIDGE, which is plugged into an Apple Airport Extreme router.  Here are things I've tried to fix the problem:

- Restarting the BRIDGE solves the problem, but only for a few minutes.  I've restarted the router and players as well, but that doesn't make a difference.  

- I've also changed the wireless channel from 6 to 1 as well as 11.  It seemed to be working slightly better on 1 but now it's broken again.  A wifi analyzer on my phone shows some interference on channel 11 (from my neighbors), but nothing major. The router is set on channels 3 and 7 (the latter via a powerline extender).

My diagnostic is 4196252.  I haven't tried to configure the system as wifi only (without the BRIDGE).  This is very frustrating.  Could it be hardware failing in the BRIDGE?

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for submitting the diagnostic, unfortunately it came through corrupted, likely a result of some trouble on the network. From what you're describing, there might be an issue with the Ethernet cable between the BRIDGE and the network. I'd recommend replacing that connection. 

The channel changes are a great start, the powerline extender may be interfering a little with channel 11, but it's probably the best. Wireless channels overlap by three channels in both directions (channel 7 bleeds from about 4 to around 10). 

Can you try submitting another diagnostic and I'll see if it goes through any better?

Thanks

Hi Ryan.  My new diagnostic is 4213481.  Sorry for the delay responding--I didn't see the response.

Hi Ryan.  Any word?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi Christopher,

The wireless looks much better on this channel. That last diagnostic showed several dropped connections with the router 30 minutes prior. Have you replaced the Ethernet cable and used different ports on the router and BRIDGE?

How has the system been behaving of late? Are you having trouble currently?

Thanks

I switched cables and ports, and so far it seems to be working.  I'm a little surprised--maybe it was just changes in interference from my neighbors--but so far so good.  Thanks for the help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Great to hear Christopher. Let us know if anything further comes up. We're here to help.
This is now happening for me! ugh! so lame. diagnostics #4400398
Same issue here with play1. Diagnostic code #4410653. Running channel 11 for setup with 1 bridge and two onnect amps to some other speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for that diagnostic, it looks like when it was taken your CONNECT was dropped off the system. Is that unit the one wired to the network?

If that CONNECT is not showing again, can you press the Play/Pause button (previously the Mute) and let us know what the lights do on that unit? If they don't respond there's likely an issue with that player.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Same issue here with play1. Diagnostic code #4410653. Running channel 11 for setup with 1 bridge and two onnect amps to some other speakers.
There is some interference showing that diagnostic, but there looks to be 3 units showing up properly without too much issue. Are you having trouble with the audio dropping out on the system when playing tracks or is something else going on there?

It looks like all three are pretty close to each other and there's some spikes in interference that could be from a cordless phone base station. Is there a 2.4 GHz phone within 20 feet or so from there? Any other similarly wireless devices around?

Thanks
Connect is wired to network. It comes back online after a few minutes, and reappears in my list of rooms. If I'm not playing music from connect, everything else works fine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Your probably going to want to send them another diagnostic # now that it is back up.
Thanks Chris. Just started up a song and ran diagnostics again. #4412053
This is happening to me now with 2 brand new play 1.  Diagnostic 4417086