Answered

My Sonos keeps cutting off songs before the end on iOS

Show first post

173 replies

I am also getting this problem. Like others, ONLY with google play. Is it possibly related to whether the stream is initiated from within the Sonos app vs starting in the Google Play app, then sending the stream over?
Same thing is happening to me. Reproducible; I can go back to that song in my Queue and it always stops half way through the song. Logged diagnostics: 369525912.

Just 'jumped to just before the halfway point and it does a hiccup at the halfway point but played on.
I have the same issue when playing from iPhone - diagnostic #1682189544
I am also getting this problem. Like others, ONLY with google play. Is it possibly related to whether the stream is initiated from within the Sonos app vs starting in the Google Play app, then sending the stream over?

Just did a little testing - If I start a google play station from within the GooglePlay App and then pass it over to my Sonos system, the end of each track is cut off. If I start from the Sonos app, then songs play through to the end.

At least today.
Jug of Doors, I don't see that you've posted the number of a diagnostic, so that Sonos can look in to your issue?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Same thing is happening to me. Reproducible; I can go back to that song in my Queue and it always stops half way through the song. Logged diagnostics: 369525912
MikeWheelerChester: Thanks for sharing your diagnostic report. If this trouble is only with Google Play and you've already removed the credentials and re-added them, I would recommend giving our support technicians a call to get a closer look at what is happening. The diagnostic report does show a couple of speaker connectivity errors, but this would not lead to the GPM specific cutoffs you describe.

I have the same issue when playing from iPhone - diagnostic #1682189544
Regan73: Thanks for posting your diagnostic report. Does this only happen when playing content from your iPhone? Does this happen with any other music services, like Google Play? The diagnostic report you submitted looks to be pretty clear in terms of connectivity and I'm not able to catch many errors at all. You may want to read a little further about a few issues we are investigating with streaming music directly from iOS devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Interesting to note: This topic started as an iOS problem with streaming. Recently this topic has changed to be focused on Google Play Music. As such, to avoid any confusion for other users, if you are having trouble with Google Play (or anything other than the originally posted problem) I'd encourage you to create a new topic. This will keep issues separate and help us (the Community) help you. For more information about the iPhone/iOS streaming on Sonos, check out this article for more information.

We are currently investigating issues with audio playback from an iPhone or iPad to Sonos when using the “From this iPhone or iPad” music source.

If you use other apps that use the iOS device audio, such as making a phone call, YouTube, social media apps, or use Bluetooth headphones while playing from “This iPhone or iPad,” you may experience audio interruptions on Sonos until you completely close or quit those apps. Until this issue is resolved, we also recommend disabling Bluetooth for the best experience.

Additionally, if there are any AirPlay devices on your network, such as an Apple TV or Airport Express, audio from “This iPhone or iPad” may stop abruptly until AirPlay is disabled on those devices.

We recognize this isn't an ideal solution for those who use AirPlay regularly at home, but if you prefer to continue playing to Sonos from “This iPhone or iPad” without interruption, refer to the device manufacturer’s instructions for disabling AirPlay. Once AirPlay is disabled, close and re-open the Sonos app and start playback again.

Thanks!
Had this problem for years. Can really say Sonos sucks..!! My iPhone works ok ish which is a 10+ My wife’s which is a 10 is awful. The 10 my wife has is my old phone and it was terrible when I had it . There’s no logic music/streamed or downloaded makes no difference. Just cuts out for no reason , whenever u play through my laptop or my wife’s it never has a problem. So issue has to be why can’t this okay music off a phone device... Whenever we have friends round we always end up getting our sons beats pill out and use that. It’s reliable and works..! Sonos really is a disappointment and like I said been like it for years ... will be buying something different soon.
As has been said before, this is a result of a change with Apple's iOS. Sonos is presumably working with Apple in order to resolve the issue, but I'm sure that Apple doesn't consider the small number of Sonos users as a priority issue for them.

And it's relatively easy to move your music from your iPhone to your computer, whether it's a Windows machine or Mac, and point Sonos to that medium, where you won't have any interruptions at all.
This has always been an issue and not a change or update. Your reply is just the type of stupidity and ignorance you get from Sonos. I know it works from our laptops and if you read my post properly you would See that I said that. Every other type of player I have had over the years works like this and doesn’t chop off tracks. Bose, beats etc Sonos is the most expensive I ever bought and the worst for phone connectivity. Sonos just needs to write some decent code into their app that has some resilience and can buffer the data. Anyway that’s it from me ... I have given up with it as it always lets us down and going to buy something that’s reliable.
My Sonos still keeps cutting off songs before the end on iOS after update (10.0.2) 😠
I agree with Jasekay. This has nothing to do with an IOS update. It’s been going for years. I’ve twice sent in diagnostic info to Sonos and it’s of absolutely no help. Sucks. All that money wasted on great speakers and terrible software. I mean who uses a laptop for music? I have the iPhone 10x. So I’m now use the phone speakers while the Sonos collect dust.
Mine is doing the same thing so annoying while running in my gym fix it please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Mine is doing the same thing so annoying while running in my gym fix it please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are currently investigating issues with audio playback from an iPhone or iPad to Sonos when using the “From this iPhone or iPad” music source.

If you use other apps that use the iOS device audio, such as making a phone call, YouTube, social media apps, or use Bluetooth headphones while playing from “This iPhone or iPad,” you may experience audio interruptions on Sonos until you completely close or quit those apps. Until this issue is resolved, we also recommend disabling Bluetooth for the best experience.

Playing music from an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch

There are plenty of ways to play your downloaded music through Sonos without using "on this iphone" - I suggest you look into them.
Several times this morning I've had songs cut off before they were over. Playing songs off my iPhone.
Submitted diagnostic report 199590852. Not using my phone for anything else.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Several times this morning I've had songs cut off before they were over. Playing songs off my iPhone.

Hi PErixn,

Thanks for sending in the report. Overall, your system looks healthy. You're likely running into a conflict with streaming from your iOS device's storage and a non-Sonos AirPlay device on your network. Non-Sonos AirPlay devices can interrupt this type of streaming. There are a few ways around this. You can disable AirPlay on any non-Sonos devices in your home, or you can try disabling the auto lock feature on your iOS device.

It is a better idea to move your library off of your iOS device though. Doing so allows you to have the same access to your music on Sonos, without the need to disable AirPlay, or prevent your iOS device from locking. You can move your music to a computer or NAS drive, then set up a music share. Another option is to use AirPlay to cast your music to Sonos instead of streaming through the app.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi PErixn,

Thanks for sending in the report. Overall, your system looks healthy. You're likely running into a conflict with streaming from your iOS device's storage and a non-Sonos AirPlay device on your network. Non-Sonos AirPlay devices can interrupt this type of streaming. There are a few ways around this. You can disable AirPlay on any non-Sonos devices in your home, or you can try disabling the auto lock feature on your iOS device.

It is a better idea to move your library off of your iOS device though. Doing so allows you to have the same access to your music on Sonos, without the need to disable AirPlay, or prevent your iOS device from locking. You can move your music to a computer or NAS drive, then set up a music share. Another option is to use AirPlay to cast your music to Sonos instead of streaming through the app.

Jeff this is a workaround to a feature that used to work before Sonos decided to support AirPlay 2. Is Sonos going to ever really fix this problem for us Sonos customers who don’t have Sonos speakers with AirPlay 2? If not, give us a heavy discount on new speakers. I am not willing to pay full price for new Sonos One speakers to fix this problem. My spouse is not going to put the music from her phone on a NAS.
Badge
I am also having the same problem.
Same issue and will do it even with Spotify and pandora. No other WiFi issues in the house except Sonos. That’s only when all my speakers show up as available, which is only about half the time
Sonos used to be a model for consistency and reliability, but somewhere along the line their software just got incredibly buggy; it's maddening, and I frankly can't wait to be done with them, completely, forever.

I'm seeing the same problem described above, which only just started happening on my Kindle fire, when using the Google Play App (which I side-loaded, so lol I imagine the amount of testing they did on this use case is less than zero).

Fix your damn software, Sonos. Get stable and do it fast before you start hemorrhaging customers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If you're experiencing audio cutting out from songs that aren't playing out of the "On this iOS device" section from the Sonos app, than it's not the issue that's the main focus on this thread. In general, that sort of issue is due to the players not getting the audio information fast enough, or without error. Often this is due to wireless interference or other environmental issues. You can see some helpful steps here. To get this resolved fastest, it's best to give us a call and work with a technician.
I have this problem too. These answers are a year old and there’s no solution yet except turn off bluetooth and any other streaming devices? I suppose you’re just waiting for the time that playing you’re own music from “this IPhone” will be disabled. I own 8 speakers and I suppose you’ve got me over a barrel since I’ve e invested a lot of money. Well, instead of putting sonos in in my new basement I’ll definitely be con considering Bose or another solution.
I have this problem too. These answers are a year old and there’s no solution yet except turn off bluetooth and any other streaming devices? I suppose you’re just waiting for the time that playing you’re own music from “this IPhone” will be disabled. I own 8 speakers and I suppose you’ve got me over a barrel since I’ve e invested a lot of money. Well, instead of putting sonos in in my new basement I’ll definitely be con considering Bose or another solution.

This is exactly why they are disabling "from this iPhone". Apple made changes to iOS that simply can't be fixed on Sonos' end.

Good luck with Bose. Did you know that they recently abandoned their entire Sonos-type lineup, and brought out a completely new and incompatible lineup in order to support Alexa? The SoundTouch line was only 5 years old at the time.