Answered

My Roam is a brick.

• 6 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Gen 1.  Have had so many troubles with it that I stopped using it for long stretches.  Trying again and now the only thing I can get out of it is an orange light on front when I connect a USB C charger (base doesn’t work).  Factory reset instructions did nothing. No other combination of buttons gets any response.

*** EDIT: It’s a ROAM, not a BEAM.  My frustration level is causing me confusion LOL. ***

Thanks,

DK

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 6 January 2022, 01:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Whew. I was all ready to tell you that the Beam doesn’t use a USB C charger.

OK, so now that we both are on the same page as to what we’re talking about, can you tell me more about the USB charger you’re connecting to? Specifically, what’s the power rating on it, both in volts and amps?

It sounds a lot like the charger isn’t providing enough “ooomph” (a technical term) to actually charge the unit, either on the base, which requires slightly more power, or when directly plugged in, but that’s a guess, not a hard diagnosis. Won’t know for sure until you tell us what power source you’re plugged in to.

By the way, I flagged your post to ask the moderators to change your title from “Beam” to “Roam” so other people who are lazy like me don’t react….. :)

I’ve tried with multiple cables, power supplies, and the Roam-specific charging base - to no avail.

You’ve not told me the information I’ve asked for, so two final questions.

1. Have you tried a factory reset of the device?
  2. Have you called Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

Hi there,

Yes, tried factory reset, no response from the unit. 

As for chargers, I currently am using a 5v 2a charger with a reliable plug and cables. I've tried every USB C cable in the house, and I know most of them have at least the juice necessary for the Roam. 

I have not yet talked with customer support. Was hoping there might be an easy fix I was missing. 

Greatly appreciate you taking time to help me - thank you. 

So, 5V 2A should be able to power the Roam, particularly if you plug it directly in the back, temporarily bypassing the charger platform.  Which makes me think there’s potentially something wrong with your specific unit, in which case contacting Sonos is the best option for you.