Answered

My Play 1 stereo pairs out of sync tried resetting. What to do?

• 14 January 2021
  • 9 replies

I have a pair of play 1s that go out of sync after a day or of resetting and repairing. I'm running a Google wifi mesh network. Everything else seems to be fine and my surround setups haven't had the issue

icon

Best answer by ratty 14 January 2021, 11:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

So far,  so good after setting up the Boost. I connected to the mesh system and had zero problems with setup or the syncing since. Thanks everyone! 

Just be sure that when you move them over to SonosNet you remove your WiFi information from the controller.

I’m a fan of SonosNet as well, with a little care, it works perfectly for me. 

Submit a diagnostic after an out-of-sync event and note the number for Sonos Support to look at. In rare cases a hardware fault can cause this kind of problem but, as I say, the Google mesh is more likely to be the culprit. Sonos is only as good as the network it has to rely on.

Understood and thanks for the advice. I believe you were correct on them going to different pucks.  I have to admit, I spent countless hours a couple of years ago working with Sonos on an issue and really just wanted it to be a simple fix and avoid that again.  I've picked up a Boost today,  since I have a large system anyway. 

Thanks Ratty. Eh, i have a very large established Sonos system that has worked for years fine on the mesh. I have 3 surround rooms, beam and two play 3's, 2 x soundbars and 2 play 1 plus subs, and multiple individual rooms. I shouldn't have to reconfigure all of that to get two play1 to sync. I'm going to call into support for it

Good luck, as @ratty ‘s understanding and knowledge of the Sonos system far exceeds anyone on Sonos Support, if he will excuse my saying so.

The fact that it has worked for years doesn’t preclude it getting into a minor tangle at some point.

But your right to do as you please, of course.

Submit a diagnostic after an out-of-sync event and note the number for Sonos Support to look at. In rare cases a hardware fault can cause this kind of problem but, as I say, the Google mesh is more likely to be the culprit. Sonos is only as good as the network it has to rely on.

Thanks Ratty. Eh, i have a very large established Sonos system that has worked for years fine on the mesh. I have 3 surround rooms, beam and two play 3's, 2 x soundbars and 2 play 1 plus subs, and multiple individual rooms. I shouldn't have to reconfigure all of that to get two play1 to sync. I'm going to call into support for it

I suspect your two Play:1s are attached to different Google pucks. 

Sonos doesn’t always get along with mesh WiFis when Sonos is in WiFi/”wireless” mode, and Google seems to be more awkward than others owing to the lack of control available to the user, over channel allocations and so forth.

The standard recommendation is to put Sonos into SonosNet/”wired” mode by wiring one device to the primary Google puck. If it’s not convenient to wire a player then that’s what the Boost is for.

How do they connect to the network? Do you have a WiFi mesh system?

Yes,  sorry.  I edited my initial post with that info

How do they connect to the network? Do you have a WiFi mesh system?