My Netgear Router Has Started Freezing Since SONOS Attached

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Badge +2
I think I've now verified that it's my Netgear DGND3700v2 modem/router that's at fault. The freeze is the result of the internal firewall thinking it's suffering from a Denial of Service attack and stopping all activity between the internet and the switch for a few minutes. It clears by itself, or can be cleared by using the wireless interface to reset a router configuration page. The "DoS attacks" seem to be the result of port probes probably initiated by the Sonos software's activity displaying on the wider internet. I shall replace my router.
Yet when you had the router => Boost => switch => PCs arrangement the Sonos system carried on working. It's almost as if the bogus "DoS attacks" alarm has resulted in the router taking a disliking to a handful of local clients, rather than to the internet.
Badge +2
ratty, Yes, and I'm still using the router => Boost => switch => PCs arrangement and the Sonos music carries on without problems. I agree there is still at least one weird symptom to explain (like why the iPad connects to the router via Wifi when it's locked out the desktops). However, the attempts to use the router from the desktop terminate because a DNS probe fails to complete, so maybe the router is barring all DNS responses from the internet. I don't know. However, it's clear from the Netgear forum that this has been a known problem with older Netgear routers (exactly the same symptoms), and my router's firmware hasn't been updated for many years, and I'm assuming it includes this failing.

I'm looking at ASUS or TP-Link modem/routers - are others better, any thoughts?
However, it's clear from the Netgear forum that this has been a known problem with older Netgear routers (exactly the same symptoms)Aha. That's reassuring confirmation. I use a Netgear R7000 which I've had for some years but it's never displayed such behaviour.

I'm looking at ASUS or TP-Link modem/routers - are others better, any thoughts?
ASUS is generally well regarded, if potentially more pricey than TP-Link.