Answered

My computer is not responding to Sonos to add my music library.

• 1 October 2015
  • 23 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi, i have been using Sonos for a while fine but suddenly it has stopped recognising my computer, which is driving me crazy.

When i try and add my music library i get the error "Sonos was unable to add the music folder. Reason: the computer [computer name] is not responding".

The only change i have made recently is upgrading to Windows 10.

I have followed the instructions to adjust my firewall settings with no difference. Are there other firewall settings or some other settings I need to adjust?

Please help!
icon

Best answer by CaJoMedia 18 December 2017, 14:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/windows-10-compatibility-6726786?postid=15952837
Just confirming for everyone that the latest version of the Sonos Controller for PC (Sonos version 5.4) is fully compatible with Windows 10. Your music shares will continue to work, though you might need to set up sharing permissions again following the operating system update.
It's usually simplest to uninstall and reinstall the controller. This should reset the Windows firewall and the permissions.
Userlevel 1
tried re-installing with no luck - still won't find my computer.

Any idea what i should be looking for to get it to be able to detect my computer?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Any idea what i should be looking for to get it to be able to detect my computer?

Hey Matty1999, here's a couple articles that may help.
If your system is still giving you this error message. Please send us a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number.
Here's an article link: How to Submit Diagnostic
Userlevel 2
Hi, i have been using Sonos for a while fine but suddenly it has stopped recognising my computer, which is driving me crazy.

When i try and add my music library i get the error "Sonos was unable to add the music folder. Reason: the computer [computer name] is not responding".

The only change i have made recently is upgrading to Windows 10.

I have followed the instructions to adjust my firewall settings with no difference. Are there other firewall settings or some other settings I need to adjust?

Please help!
Userlevel 2
Hi,

I clean installed Windows 10 and since then I can't add music libraries. Please help. I've read all the posts about it and nothing works for me.

Error adding music
Sonos was unable to add the music folder
Reason: The computer "[Computer Name]" is not responding.

What I tried and didn't work:
- Followed the procedure for the firewall here: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/823?_ga=2.14125623.1820925426.1512524968-1443451020.1512524968
- Disabled completely the domain, private and public firewall
- Reset Controller and Set up New system
- Checked the File and sharing was enabled
- Unistalled and reinstalled Sonos Controller

Thanks
I have had the same issue as CaJoMedia. Did pretty much the same actions to fix. Still the same.

Sonos...you got a fix?

Hey Matty1999, here's a couple articles that may help.
If your system is still giving you this error message. Please send us a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number.
Here's an article link: How to Submit Diagnostic

sent in diagnostic 8234748

I have had the same issue as CaJoMedia. Did pretty much the same actions to fix. Still the same.

Sonos...you got a fix?
Userlevel 2
Hi All,

For all of you who are still looking to a solution, I had a call with support to fix it. For me, it was in fact a sharing privilege issue but the procedure was a little bit more complicated than expected.

Hopefully, support can send a better procedure, but in short, on a Windows 10 PC

1) Open the Control panel
2) Click Programs
3) Under Programs and Features, click Turn Windows Features on or off
4) Go to SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing support, if the check box is blacken, it means that not all the sub-element are checked, click the dow arrow to expand
5) Make sure all 3 sub-elements are checked
6) Reboot PC
7) Add music library

Hope this helps
Jo
Jo's solution did the trick. Thanks JO, I 've been trying to make it work for the whole day!!
Have the same problem. Opened control panel (Systems preferences on my Mac) There is no "programs" panel to open. Running macOS version 10.13.2. Any ideas
Apple hasn't yet turned off SMB v1, so following the instructions for a PC while on a Mac won't really help you.

Can you give us a little more information about what you're trying to do, and how you're trying to do it, along with specific error messages?
This worked for me - After a fresh install of the latest update of Windows 10 caused the loss to play music library on sonos one. Thank you so much!
You're a lifesaver, Jo, thanks!
Thanks Jo
Just bought my first Sonos and ran into the same problem but the fix you suggested worked, didn't even have to Add my Music library, after the reboot it happened automagically.
Worked for me too, thanks Jo, sonos should put a fix for it on their troubleshooter page. Just another windows 10 problem to go with the rest.... 🙂
Thanks Jo,... you are a rock star - been struggling with this for a few months now. Much appreciated
Have had this problem for a year with no solution. Jo's suggestion solved the problem!
Thank you Jo, this worked for me as well. I had spent hours trying with no success until I discovered your post. Great stuff!
Jo, you're a star !! The fix worked for me and all up and running now - thanks. Sonos Support need to put this in their information to users.
THANKYOU CaJoMedia!!! That fix worked!!!
Thank-you. This worked for me also.
The top solution worked great for me, cheers 😃
Thanks so much. Used this last night and got access to both my remote HDs. Sonos is up and running and the tunes are great!