Mutiple ethernet connections are bogus and not in use (except for one)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Although turning off wireless is not recommended.

I had turned WiFi back on based on JohnB, who also referred me to a basic Sonos setup page that doesn't address any of these questions.

Not sure what it would do in that case. A dual WiFi/Sonosnet mode system is not recommended.

I will now turn it off again, which is easy enough by just telling Sonos to revert to the defaults.
I think you have misinterpreted what was being said. @rjlawson's post was not about turning off wifi on your router, but disabling the wireless card on an individual ZP. Therefore so were my responses. Incidentally, @jgatie was referring to the undesirability of having some Sonos units connect over SonosNet and some over WiFi. The solution to this is to remove the WiFi credentials from Sonos (which may or may not be what you are saying).

As @ratty has implied in another post, this stuff is not covered on the Sonos website because 99.99% of users aren't interested in it and 0% of users actually need to know any of this. You are perfectly entitled to want to understand better, but what is on the Sonos website is what users actually need to get set up, which is exactly what should be there - no more and no less.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, thanks for jumping in and answering questions. Some great information here from the regulars.

One thing that might help clear things up, WM:1 means that the player is connected to your home wireless network, WM:0 means it's either wired into the network or connected to a SonosNet connection through a Sonos device that's wired into your network. It's more rare to see both WM:1 and WM:0 on the same system as it would usually indicate a mixed mode configuration that we find can have routing trouble.

To post an official answer for you, when you have multiple Sonos players wired into the network they will be using Spanning Tree Protocol to determine the best route to the music, which usually means the wired players go through the wired network, and the wireless players connect to the closest wired device. The other connections stay active still, but minimal data passes over there unless it needs to, such as if you unplugged an ethernet cable.

I hope you've gotten most of your questions answered at this point, but let us know if any others come up.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi everyone, thanks for jumping in and answering questions. Some great information here from the regulars.

One thing that might help clear things up, WM:1 means that the player is connected to your home wireless network, WM:0 means it's either wired into the network or connected to a SonosNet connection through a Sonos device that's wired into your network. It's more rare to see both WM:1 and WM:0 on the same system as it would usually indicate a mixed mode configuration that we find can have routing trouble.

To post an official answer for you, when you have multiple Sonos players wired into the network they will be using Spanning Tree Protocol to determine the best route to the music, which usually means the wired players go through the wired network, and the wireless players connect to the closest wired device. The other connections stay active still, but minimal data passes over there unless it needs to, such as if you unplugged an ethernet cable.

I hope you've gotten most of your questions answered at this point, but let us know if any others come up.

I am running some tests as I am having network loopback issues with multiple wired speakers and what you are stating appears to not be working. I have my managed switch as my root bridge with the lowest priority and one of the sonos directly attached to it. Once a second sonos gets connected, it appears to be prioritizing the sonosnet connection even though the path is obviously longer and therefore causes a loopback and crashes my network. My switch have loopback prevention preventing this but then the sonos remains on sonos net. If I reboot the sonos, it will start by prioritizing the sonos net.
the document that Ratty referred me to is not that useful or accessible for the average Sonos user.
It was never intended to be. For the average Sonos user it all 'just works'. The magic of spanning trees -- or indeed of peer-to-peer direct routing in groups/bonds -- goes on in the background.

My intention was, in part, to help you understand that there's more sophistication to this stuff than you'd first assumed.

I am not sure why you have adopted such an aggressive tone, especially as yiu are wrong on almost every count. But I don't suppose you will believe me, as I am not Sonos tech.

Those questions are not agressive, they show the arrogance of the Sonos techs who don't even consider to answer. And yes, not being a Sonos tech makes youbless credible.

I have about 16 Sonos units and this is not a stable system. Even with Ethernet, it does not manage to play songs uninterrupted. The assumption that it "should just work" was why I bought it. In stead I am burning hours on tech support and sorting through piles of useless feedback and info on the Sonos community where the techs themselves don't deign to respond.

Looking forward to getting rid of the system and installing something that actually will work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have about 16 Sonos units and this is not a stable system. Even with Ethernet, it does not manage to play songs uninterrupted. The assumption that it "should just work" was why I bought it. In stead I am burning hours on tech support and sorting through piles of useless feedback and info on the Sonos community where the techs themselves don't deign to respond.

Looking forward to getting rid of the system and installing something that actually will work.

Most people find Sonos quite stable, even with numerous devices. My Sonos setups are extremely reliable.

If you want some help on the forum, it would be worth knowing more about your problem and Sonos setup:

Under what conditions are you experiencing interruptions? What source are you streaming from, and to how many speakers are you streaming? Are they grouped? What Sonos devices do you have? What is your network architecture: how are things connected, and what's your network equipment? What upstream bandwidth do you have?