Answered

music stops for few seconds just after starting

• 18 October 2018
  • 13 replies

my Sonos has some troubles lately. 3x Sonos 1 and 1 Sonos 5.

Music takes some time to load, plays for 2-3 seconds and that waiting for about 5 seconds and then continues.

WiFi in my network seems ok, 3 UniFi access points throught the house all wired to the router.

What could be the problem?

I sent in a diagnosis to Sonos: number 947289968

Anyone have suggestions?
icon

Best answer by Edward R 19 October 2018, 10:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So you have no Sonos units hooked to the router? Just running off the normal wifi?

You could have an IP address conflict … if you haven't before have I would recommend going in and assigning all of your Sonos units NEW permanent IP addresses in router and reboot them and router.
All 3 have static ip bases on Mac address in router
192.168.1.15, 16, 17

So that is ruled out?

Also when selecting a new song Spotify in Sonos app, it takes 10 seconds to start. Symbol is on pause; wait 10 seconds and jump back to play (so no music playing). Press again play and starts almost instant. And then after a few secs it hangs for about 2-5 secs (buffer issue?)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Must be some interference or something doesn't like about an access point (Sonos will have to look at that diagnostic).

What happens if you wire one of them to router (using Sonosnet). Does it clear up then?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What is source of the music? Happen on multiple services?
Spotify afaik. Only use radio streams and local.

Turned off igmp snooping on my unifi controller. Found that it could interfer.

Also switching radio channels is really slow? 5-10 seconds!
Will try if wired makes difference.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, trekker25. Chris notified me as to your diagnostic - thanks, Chris!

Unfortunately the diagnostic came up blank, thus suggesting network congestion. What channels are your access points on? What about Sonos? Can you flip the Sonosnet channel in the Sonos controller, then submit another diagnostic? Then, just to be sure, can you please reboot your Sonos device(s), then your AP's, then attempt to submit a diagnostic once again, and once more, respond with the confirmation number?

With regards to the above, you may even find that by moving the channels around, you remedy the issue.

Many thanks in advance, this should enable us to get some insight as to your system.
Hi, trekker25. Chris notified me as to your diagnostic - thanks, Chris!

Unfortunately the diagnostic came up blank, thus suggesting network congestion. What channels are your access points on? What about Sonos? Can you flip the Sonosnet channel in the Sonos controller, then submit another diagnostic? Then, just to be sure, can you please reboot your Sonos device(s), then your AP's, then attempt to submit a diagnostic once again, and once more, respond with the confirmation number?

With regards to the above, you may even find that by moving the channels around, you remedy the issue.

Many thanks in advance, this should enable us to get some insight as to your system.

sorry for the late reply, was busy with a rebuild of my kitchen :-)

Send a new diagnosis:

number 1857107505

Can you check if you something odd in the logs?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Kitchen rebuilds can be a pain. Hope all went as planned! I can see precisely what the problem is. You appear to be using multiple access points all split across different channels, which is causing your Sonos devices to struggle to maintain a stable connection. This thread here provides some great advice and discussion. As it states, it's best to have all of your AP's on the same channel, which yours are not, at present. Keep me posted?
ok will try to have this fixed! See what is the best channel for my UniFy AP
Kitchen rebuilds can be a pain. Hope all went as planned! I can see precisely what the problem is. You appear to be using multiple access points all split across different channels, which is causing your Sonos devices to struggle to maintain a stable connection. This thread here provides some great advice and discussion. As it states, it's best to have all of your AP's on the same channel, which yours are not, at present. Keep me posted?

i changed the channels and made a new diagnosis 348094556.

Can you check if you see any other problems?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
This looks a bit better. I would run this for a while and see how you go. If you're still struggling, it might be an idea to try channels 6 and 1. If that's still not any better, it may be time to consider a Boost setup. Let us know how you get on.
This looks a bit better. I would run this for a while and see how you go. If you're still struggling, it might be an idea to try channels 6 and 1. If that's still not any better, it may be time to consider a Boost setup. Let us know how you get on.

Coming back on this issue.

My problem: if Sonos hasn't played a song on Spotify for a while, let's say 24 hours, or after a power cycle this error happens:

- i select to play a spotify song on Sonos One (now hard wired to rule out WiFi issues), first it takes about 8-10 seconds to have the song playing. (seems long!)
- the song plays for about 5 seconds and then the songs stops for about 5 seconds (silence) and than continues to play.

This only happens on the first song, if i switch songs afterwards it goes normally.

What is the best way to set in a diagnosis? I can reboot a Sonos One to get the specifik error. But if everything logged? Or can i check myself somewhere why the playing stops from spotify.

I have a Gbit network with a 500/500 fiber connection so that can't be the problem.
Note that frequently, these issues are more about the network between your speaker and your router, and not the network speed between your router and the outside world (your fiber connection).

That being said, here's how to submit a system diagnostic. Do it within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.