Music Stops and Groups break when unplugging speaker

• 5 October 2017
  • 1 reply

Unplugging a single speaker will totally stop music and blow up your groups. Probably a firmware issue with 8.0

Plus if I create a group that includes “everywhere” I should be able to unplug and replugin a speaker without blowing up the group. The speaker should go away and rejoin when plugged back in.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, DarkSpydr69: Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

What you are experiencing should only happen depending on how the rooms/speakers are grouped. For instance, let's say you have three Sonos units at home (Garage, Living Room & Kitchen). If you select the group button on Garage to then group the rest of your rooms, the Garage unit becomes the "Group Coordinator". This means they feed the rest of the group (Living Room & Kitchen) the content to be played. That being said, if you were to unplug Garage everything would indeed "blow up your groups". This is because the Group Coordinator is no longer part of the network. This forces the previously grouped speakers to ungroup and will stop all music.

If you were to instead unplug Living Room (in this example), the music should continue as the Group Coordinator is still on the network managing the data as needed to the other units. When you plug Living Room back into power, it will reconnect but not automatically pick up from where it left off (i.e: regrouping and resuming).

Hope you find this helpful!