Music skipping / stopping and players disappear randomly

• 29 June 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hi,

We use Sonos in our complete house ( 6x Play 1, 1x  bookshelf, 1 One SL, 1 Boost & 1 playbar) but scince a few months it is not working smoothly..

Our sonos-players randomly disappear from the sonos-app and very often our music is not playing correctly: Songs end up being skipped by sonos very often (just after 10 seconds of playback) or the music stops at all. Or just one (or a few players) stops spontaneously.

This issue occurs mostly when playing spotify but it also happens with tunin and/or NAS-playback..

The app says my network is unstable but i don’t know what is causing this instability. Some speakers are wired and some are wireless. Of course the boost is wired. We have some Ubiquity access-points and maybe they are causing issues?

Ended up doing a lot of attempts to solve this but nothing seems to work..

I have tried setting sonos on other channels occasionally, i have reset all our players more then once, i have powered off our router etc but the problems keep on surfacing.. I checked the ip-adresses and there are no duplicates. Then i decided to buy a boost, installed it but that also didn’t help at all.

Can you perhaps take a look at our setup and maybe give us some ideas how to fix this?  I sent a diagnostic report right away: 195761672.

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Did you wire the Sonos Boost to the ‘primary’ hub of the ubiquity system and set it well away from the access point.

Have you tried the different SonosNet channels 1, 6 or 11?

Have you setup the ubiquity system to use multicasting as outlined in this link:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/setting-up-ubiquiti-network-use-mdns-multicast-matthew-davis

It’s also helpful to reserve the Sonos products IP addresses in the local DHCP servers reservation table when you have the system back up and running correctly. 

Badge

Hi Ken, Thanks for getting back to me.
The boost is directly connected to our modem/router, just like the 3 ubiquity Access points. I think we can call the modem our ‘primary hub’ in this case.

One of the AP’s is relatively close to the boost (2 meters apart but also 2 concrete walls between them). All other AP’s are much further away from the boost.

Tried all sonosNet channels several times. Also tried the Wifi-radio-channels with corresponding channel-settings and also with different settings (sonos on 11, Wifi on 1 e.g.)

I’m not sure about the ubiquity setup. (will have to ask my brother on that one i’m afraid ;).. Will dive into that one and will get back to you.

Your idea of reserving IP-addresses is a good one. Will look into that one when its working again..

Badge

Last thing i found really strange is this:

Only when playing via Airplay (from iphone), then all connected speakers work perfectly. That gives me the idea that the Sonosnet is just fine.

Furthermore i changed some settings today (hoping to make it better but it didn’t) and therefore i added a new diagnostic: 985426968

Is the router and ubiquity access points all operating on the same subnet? I’m wondering if there is a multicast issue between your router and the ubiquity devices. I take it the "router" gateway is also the local DHCP server and not one of your ubiquity hubs in this instance?

Badge

I believe they do yes. The router is the local DHCP server indeed.

I believe they do yes. The router is the local DHCP server indeed.

I’m not too knowledgeable about the ubiquity settings, but perhaps check the multicast network settings mentioned in this link to see if that helps (ignoring the settings in relation to the ‘switch’)