Music playing but no sound

• 30 March 2019
  • 11 replies

My Sonos Controller app says that the music is playing but there is no music coming out of the speakers? What should I do? 644535398

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Yep, turning system on and off did it for me. BUT I FORGOT to TURN DOWN THE VOLUME before restarting. Very nasty very loud speaker on return 😞 BE WARNED
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Maybe try the 'reset controller' option on your phone. That solves a lot of issues for me
My original 5 Speaker shows up as connected in the Sonos App and Spotify. I’ve factory reset the speaker, and reconnected it multiple times. I get the chime on setup and eventually a solid light BUT my iPhone keeps erroring out in the “connecting” phase. I’ve also connected directly with an Ethernet cable. My daughter had account ownership and now it’s transferred to my email. Sounds like a similar problem to the roommate switch in another reply. Still not working and this is the third time I’ve made a run at it over the past year. 1339919951
My original 5 Speaker shows up as connected in the Sonos App and Spotify. I’ve factory reset the speaker, and reconnected it multiple times. I get the chime on setup and eventually a solid light BUT my iPhone keeps erroring out in the “connecting” phase. I’ve also connected directly with an Ethernet cable. My daughter had account ownership and now it’s transferred to my email. Sounds like a similar problem to the roommate switch in another reply. Still not working and this is the third time I’ve made a run at it over the past year. 1339919951
It works on your laptop, but not on your iPhone? Does the Sonos system (your speakers) show up on your iPhone, or does the app not connect to the Sonos system?

Are the speakers still working through your laptop without issue?

How do you have your Sonos system setup? Do you have one speaker or BRIDGE/BOOST connected to your router with an ethernet cable, or are all of them connected directly to your Wifi SSID?
I started having this same problem last night with my Sonos One. The problem started after my roommate set herself up to use the speakers while I was out for the day (totally okay with me -- neither of us knew it would cause a problem!)

I still can't get it working. At this point, I can play music from my laptop, but not from the iPhone app. I've unplugged the speaker several times, reinstalled the app and even tried to set-up the speakers as if they were new (couldn't get through the set-up process though). I still have no sound coming out of my speakers.
Userlevel 1
Ok, there is no evidence this is caused by my local network. Software systems need to be resilient and should not have to be rebooted in most cases. The reboot is erasing some state information in the speaker that prevents a controller from sending an audio stream. No system should assume all network packets arrive at the destination. I suspect there are situations with the sonos where the speakers software state gets in a place where it no longer works correctly. That MIGHT be the problem. Neither of us will know for sure unless we want to take the time to monitor the Sonos software while we try to reproduce the problem, Btw, just posted my solution since it worked for me, hoping it would allow others to just listen to music and not spend time diagnosing a problem...
I'm not sure I understand how the Sonos speaker can fix issues with your local network.
Userlevel 1
I respectfully disagree. I can’t prove that there weren’t any network ‘glitches’ but the system should be robust enough to not have to be restarted. It’s not that difficult to reproduce in my home where all of the speakers, controllers and access points are within 30 feet of each other’s in a wood stud home. At some point the sonos speaker should recognize the state that it is in and self correct. I suspect most customers would agree with me on this.
I think you must have been having some locsl network communication glitches. Multiple rooms with multiple controllers is what makes Sonos what it is. I am glad it is now working for you, but there is nothing for Sonos to fix here.
Userlevel 1
I just solved a similar problem on my pair of Play 1's. I was using two different iPhones to control music to each speaker. When I went to play music on one of the speakers the Spotify app (or Sonos app) would indicate that I was connected but no sound would come from the speaker. I think the Sonos software must somehow get confused in that situation even thought both iPhone controller apps were told to stop the music initially. I resolved the problem by turning off the power to the Play 1 speaker for a couple of seconds. Once it rebooted directing music to that speaker worked. I really think this is a bug on the Sonos that should be fixed. This is not hard to reproduce when using two phones. Sonos folks, please try using to phones to see if you can reproduce and fix! Note: Both speakers and controller software for Sonos and Spotify are fully up to date.
Where's the music coming from? Have you checked to be sure that the mute isn't on for the "room"?