Answered

Music playback but no sound from CONNECT

Badge
I have a CONNECT that is wired to my stereo. Music was played from a NAS connected to my router using a BOOST setup. To increase the Sonos signal strength in my house (playback was sometimes intermittent), I recently bought a BOOST and connected it directly to my router then moved the BRIDGE that was previously there to a room in between the BOOST and CONNECT. However, now the app indicates that music is playing but there is no sound from the CONNECT to the stereo. The volume of the CONNECT is up and I have reset everything starting with the router in the correct order as recommended in these forums. All IP addresses have reset, Sonos is using Channel 1 and my WiFi router is on Channel 11. I have submitted a diagnostic today #7565774.

Any further advice from the community would be appreciated.
icon

Best answer by pthom06 31 July 2017, 12:16

Just to close this one off, the new CONNECT solved all problems, including the interference from my CR200 Controller. Music now plays better than ever (to my untrained ear, the new unit is improved over the older one in terms of playback fidelity - which may not be surprising given the slow breakdown of the RCA outputs) and my CR200 Controller now performs flawlessly. It took a while but we got there in the end. The Sonos telephone support was terrific and the new unit arrived in just a couple of days. Thank you.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Very little I can think of other than the obvious: Is the amp switched on with volume turned up, have you eliminated the coincidence that it may have gone defective, and have you chosen the input on the amp relevant to the line in jacks on it to which the Connect is wired?

Any issues with the Connect are best addressed by Sonos via the information only it can glean from the diagnostic you have submitted.
Badge
Thanks Kumar. Yes, the amp works fine with other sources. Having left the Sonos music running but with no sound, after about 10 minutes I started to get some crackly, broken sound coming through. I then switched the Sonos to Channel 6 and it is now almost stable again (occasionally it sounds like the music is coming from underwater). At least I know now that it must be interference of some sort, but I would have thought with the extra BOOST combined with the BRIDGE it would have been a lot better instead of worse. As you say, the diagnostic may provide a clue.
Yes, this sounds like interference. And the Boost ought to do better than the Bridge, that is also what I experienced.
Do you have enough distance between the Boost and the router? Three feet is enough if it can be vertical, else 5 feet to see if that solves the problem.
Also, see if it is possible to place the Bridge such that it is in line of sight to both the Boost at one end and the Connect at the other - that way it will do better as a bridge.
If you know how to call up the matrix, you will be able to see if the Bridge is being used or being bypassed with the Boost choosing to connect directly to the Connect.
To eliminate suspects: is the problem common across sources - does it also occur while playing music from the net, as in internet radio or streaming services?
Badge
Hi Kumar, Yes it occurs whenever I play from Pandora radio or from my NAS. I have the Network Matrix and the BOOST is talking to the BRIDGE and the BRIDGE to the CONNECT (i.e. STP state: forwarding for each connection). There seems to be a fair bit of interference though (BOOST area is red but BRIDGE is green and CONNECT yellow) so I will try moving the BOOST further from the Router as you suggest. There are two rooms between my router and the CONNECT though, so I won't be able to get line-of sight.

Do you think upgrading the BRIDGE to a BOOST and the CONNECT to the latest model would help? They date back about 7 years.

Thanks again for your advice.
I have the Network Matrix and the BOOST is talking to the BRIDGE and the BRIDGE to the CONNECT (i.e. STP state: forwarding for each connection). There seems to be a fair bit of interference though (BOOST area is red but BRIDGE is green and CONNECT yellow) so I will try moving the BOOST further from the Router as you suggest.
Do you think upgrading the BRIDGE to a BOOST and the CONNECT to the latest model would help? They date back about 7 years.

If they are talking in the way you describe, there should be a coloured box at the intersection of the Bridge and Connect rows/columns and grey where Boost and Connect intersect - the Boost and Bridge should show a coloured intersection box.What is the colour of the two intersection boxes?

The colours you describe seem to be in the first column? And if Boost is red there, it suggests that to be source of the problem.

Confirmation to that would be if you click on Boost in the matrix and go down and click on rincon/phyerr - if you then see the last three columns there under 5000, 10000 and 10000+ to have double digit numbers in them, almost certainly the Boost is the culprit. Try moving it 5 feet away from the router and see what happens in a subsequent matrix. And more importantly, to the music.

At this time, it is premature to talk to any unit replacement. If in working condition, 7 years doesn't matter.
Badge
Intersection colours: BOOST/BRIDGE green, others yellow except CONNECT/BOOST is grey.

Left columns: Having moved the BOOST it is now yellow, BRIDGE green but CONNECT is now orange. Rincon/phyerr in the columns you mention is mostly zeros, a couple of single digit numbers only, for all three devices.

Out of interest, my Router is an Airport Time Machine and it talks wirelessly to an AirPort Extreme in the same cabinet where the CONNECT is with no trouble at all. We stream our Apple TV through it and download with no problems. I would have thought the Sonos system would have done the same distance easily even without the BRIDGE in between? With all these weak signals and/or interference, I may just run a cable from the Airport Time Machine to the AirPort Extreme, then I can plug the CONNECT directly into that and throw away the BOOST and BRIDGE (I gather from my reading that I cannot plug the CONNECT into the Airport Extreme while it is wireless).

It's an interesting problem that I am sure has a solution. Thanks again.
Intersection colours: BOOST/BRIDGE green, others yellow except CONNECT/BOOST is grey.

Left columns: Having moved the BOOST it is now yellow, BRIDGE green but CONNECT is now orange. Rincon/phyerr in the columns you mention is mostly zeros, a couple of single digit numbers only, for all three devices.

Out of interest, my Router is an Airport Time Machine and it talks wirelessly to an AirPort Extreme in the same cabinet where the CONNECT is with no trouble at all.

With those colours and numbers, things should be ok - so isn't that reflected in the proof of the pudding, the music?

Also, what happens if you power off the Extreme? Does the music play as it should if you do? That also looks to be a probable cause, the location of that device.
Also see what happens if you run ethernet wire from the Connect to the Extreme when it is on; it can't do any harm to experiment.
Badge
Hi Kumar, No, the music was still intermittent. I have checked the matrix over a number of hours and the signal seem to fluctuate from yellows to orange and back, although the BRIDGE was always green. At least when I moved the BOOST it went from red to yellow or orange. I have also tried other placements for the BRIDGE but with no difference. I think that my placement of the CONNECT means it was difficult for it to communicate.

If I plugged the CONNECT into the AirPort Extreme then there was no music. But once I unplugged the BOOST and the BRIDGE and only had the CONNECT wired into the AirPort Extreme and music was playing nicely. On the matri,x the CONNECT (the only thing on there) was showing orange, so I moved it to the top shelf where I had had it previously and now it shows yellow and music still plays nicely. I have tried this set-up before though and there seemed to be drop-outs, possibly when the AirPort Extreme is working with other things around the house.

Finally, I unplugged the CONNECT from the AirPort Extreme and plugged in the BOOST and BRIDGE again. The matrix now shows BRIDGE green and the others both yellow, which is also an improvement. I think just moving the CONNECT to the higher shelf made a difference. Music playback is poor though, unless you like underwater music intermittently!

I think in my situation, having the CONNECT plugged directly in to the AirPort Extreme is the best fix until I run a long ethernet cable down to it permanently. It doesn't help that the house is solid brick and that there are lots of electronics both around the Router and the AirPort Extreme. My placement of the BRIDGE and the BOOST are somewhat limited due to the room design.

Thanks again for your time.
But once I unplugged the BOOST and the BRIDGE and only had the CONNECT wired into the AirPort Extreme and music was playing nicely.

Music playback is poor though, unless you like underwater music intermittently!

If it wasn't for the second sentence above, I'd say do the first and move on as long as all remains stable.

But interference results in music either not playing or playing in fits and starts - stuttering. Digital is either on or off.

Poor sound quality is another issue, not related to interference or to Sonos.
Badge
Sorry Kumar, you are quite correct. Stuttering music often sounds to me like a gurgling type effect, but whatever it sounds like it is caused by a poor internet connection as the Sonos works with my NAS or Pandora or when the Sonos net has to communicate over long distances through brick walls. The best connection seems to be as you suggested, plugging into the AirPort Extreme directly. All has been well for the past hour or more, which is a vast improvement.

Sorry to bother you with a final question or two, but when I use my old CR100 Controller it also causes stuttering. I gather that is caused by the CONNECT talking to the controller and then accessing the NAS when the internet connection is poor. It doesn't happen with the Apple App though. However, I have tried in the past connecting my NAS directly into the CONNECT thinking this would reduce drop-outs and stuttering, but it seemed to make no difference. It seems that no matter where the NAS is plugged in on the network the result is the same.

You have spent a good deal of time on this and I appreciate very much your search for solutions.
when I use my old CR100 Controller it also causes stuttering.
I have no idea - to restate, you are seeing this happen when you wire connect the Connect to the Airport Extreme kept next to it, when the Airport Extreme is working as a WiFi extender, while the base station Time Capsule router to which the NAS is wired is kept two rooms away. And there is no other Sonos unit in the set up. And other than this, the Connect works fine. And so does a Sonos app hosted on an iPhone.

All controllers only initiate actions. Once those actions start, they are out of the picture. So using a Controller ought to not cause stuttering to happen, that is an unconnected event.

Maybe someone else here can throw some light on this. Or Sonos will, when they finally respond to your diagnostic!
Badge
All correct, it is a mystery no doubt. Thanks for the help, Kumar. Cheers
Badge
Well, it is happening again. I have now run an ethernet cable directly to the AirPort Extreme and plugged the Connect into it, so it is all hard-wired. It worked fine for a few days but now, once again, the music indicates it is playing but no sound is produced. I am at my wits end on this! Maybe the Connect is not working anymore? If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

I have just submitted a diagnostic number 7651450.
Are you using RCA to the amp? Have you tried a different amp input? Different cable?
Badge
Hi John B, The strange thing was that when before I went away for a few days all was fine, but I came home to no sound with nothing changed in any way. I'm just off the phone with the very helpful Sonos support guy and we tried all your suggestions (different cable, alternate inputs to a TV) as well as connecting the ethernet directly to the Connect (instead of via the AirPort Extreme) and a thorough diagnostic. It seems there is a problem with the RCA outputs of the Connect so they are arranging a replacement for me.

I've tried everything else, so fingers crossed that this solves it.
Badge
Just to close this one off, the new CONNECT solved all problems, including the interference from my CR200 Controller. Music now plays better than ever (to my untrained ear, the new unit is improved over the older one in terms of playback fidelity - which may not be surprising given the slow breakdown of the RCA outputs) and my CR200 Controller now performs flawlessly. It took a while but we got there in the end. The Sonos telephone support was terrific and the new unit arrived in just a couple of days. Thank you.