Answered

Music library refresh hangs when adding NAS drive

• 21 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Hi,

I would like to add a music library via a NAS drive. Adding works fine, but right after adding the system hangs refreshing the music library (for hours).

Not sure this is relevant: In the past this worked well via my USB drive connected to the wifi router, activating SAMBA file share. I changed internet provider and use a newer router now. Connecting USB drive via SAMBA to this router results in the same issue, ie can add but hangs refreshing (I can access the USB drive via file explorer in Win 10 though).

I re-installed the Sonos 2 app so Windows firewall settings are done. 

System: Sonos Play:5 (gen 2), update via Windows 10 software. 

What could be the issue? Thank you 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 21 March 2021, 17:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Which version of SAMBA is authorized on the new NAS? Sonos is still using version 1, unfortunately. If your new NAS is restricting access to SMB v2 or 3, the speakers won’t be able to ‘see’ the data in order to scan the files. 

Thank you Bruce, I think that's the issue. My ZyXEL NSA326 uses SMB2. Checking with their support if SMB1 can be activated.

@Sonos team: when will such a legacy issue using insecure protocol finally be fixed?

The issue is, based on the several threads about it in these forums, is that there is not enough space on the older devices to update the Linux kernel so that a newer (larger) version that can run SMB v2 or V3 can be applied. Additional discussion is around the perceived small number of people who still use local files, making the effort for continued support questionable.

I’m one who uses local files as well, so I have definite opinions, but I’d highly recommend you search for SMB in these forums and assimilate all the speculation, as Sonos will not, to this point, comment. 

Thanks. How do you use your local files? Is there any cheap network solution I can use to stream SMB (like my old router)? 

I happen to use a WD MyCloud NAS. With the latest firmware update to version 5, I had to go back in and tell it that SMB v1 was authorized. NAS devices are relatively inexpensive. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

WD is a good solution, I use a Raspberry Pi as my NAS or you can use one as a SMBv1 gateway to your main NAS. Setup is fairly simple and Pi are cheap.

https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/

Thank you both, appreciate your help!