Music library corrupts every few weeks; requires Factory Reset to fix

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

There is no IP conflict on the network. The network functions perfectly in connecting Roku, phones, tablets, TVs, PCs. As stated, the (1) Steps provided in "Music library troubleshooting" article in Sonos support have been followed. What else?
I can understand why you don't feel that the network is to blame, when every other device on the network works perfectly. Been there, done that....

However, whether you like it or not, Sonos kit is unusually susceptible to IP issues, so the advice that you're being given above is about as good as it gets. You need to have all devices associated with the Sonos system - e.g. controllers, speakers, connect, source devices - on reserved IPs. If you do that and reboot the entire system then reliability should improve. It did on my system, and this approach has sorted out the problem time after time - as reported on this forum.
Badge
All devices associated with Sonos are on reserved IP addresses set by me as follows:
(1) PC music server: xxx.xxx.xx.201
(2) Sonos Playbase: xxx.xxx.xx.202
(3) Sonos Play 5: xxx.xxx.xx.203
(4) Android phone with Sonos app: xxx.xxx.xx.204
All above devices have been rebooted. (That's kinda necessary to complete the IP reservation process.)

If this is as critical to successful, sustained Sonos operation as has been emphasized in this forum, then Sonos setup procedures are seriously deficient. After Factory Reset I have setup the Sonos system using the Android app several times. There was no indication that I needed "to have all devices associated with the Sonos system - e.g. controllers, speakers, connect, source devices - on reserved IPs", but I have done so because right now I'll try anything.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2627?language=en_US
MacInOhio,

A few years ago I had indications that an ancient NAS was failing because occasionally it could not play music and seemed not to be able to respond to network requests. Must be EOL for the NAS because I'm too smart for IP address conflicts, right? But, I swallowed my pride and scanned the network in detail (independently of the router) ... Darn! A few weeks prior I had replaced the router. I have a few devices that work best if I fix their addresses and I map these outside of the DHCP range. After replacing the router I went through the network, item by item, integrating each into the new router. I had moved the DHCP managed range of addresses slightly. Unfortunately, there was one forgotten little device tucked away in a cupboard with a fixed IP address that was now inside the new DHCP range. This device was not very active and there were no issues for several weeks. You guessed it, the little device was sharing the NAS IP address.

When in diagnostic mode if one assumes that the problem must be [...] or cannot be [...], one is likely to be blindsided. But, one should play the percentages and not chase the 0.01% probability before checking the 99% item.

The SONOS diagnostic information will provide lots of detail. It's best to submit a diagnostic within about 15 minutes of problem observation because some of the finest detail scrolls.

One detail of your saga that interests me is that the problem seems to pick on a particular track. This should be some sort of clue, but I don't know exactly what this might be. One possibility is that the track is x-minutes into the playlist and the computer is going to sleep at x-minutes.

In a SONOS controller, go to "About My Sonos System" and note the "Associated ZP". Keep track of this because the issue might be unique to one SONOS player. Successive launches of a controller might not Associate with the same player. If a particular player is struggling with its connection, you might have issues only when Associated with that player or the player is the Group Coordinator. Do you Group? The Group Coordinator is the top Player listed in a Group. This player is managing streams to all members of the Group. If the Coordinator is having communication issues, the Group will suffer, but individually each player may work OK.
Badge
Thank you, buzz, for your insights.

Good hypothesis regarding the computer going to sleep at x-minutes. Because that PC is the music media server, it is set to "never" sleep. However, your suggestion triggered me to think along other lines. As proven by my entries in this thread, I can get focused on one set of hypotheses without giving adequate consideration to others.

The two Sonos players are sometimes grouped and sometimes not. In the future I will take note of which one is assigned the Zone Player in charge.

Is there anything to be gained by examining the data that is displayed when when I go to http://xxx.xxx.xx.202:1400/support/review (the IP of the Playbase)?
Note: data from both players is displayed.
There was no indication that I needed "to have all devices associated with the Sonos system - e.g. controllers, speakers, connect, source devices - on reserved IPs", but I have done so because right now I'll try anything.
Having the controllers reserved as well may be my own brand of 'belt and braces', but I don't see how it can hurt.
Following on from buzz's suggestions, have you tried taking the 'faulty' track out from the queue and seeing whether the next one in line fails - or not?
In past firmware incarnations support/review contained a lot more detail. Many of us feel that the current version is wimpy and we are grumpy. You can certainly verify the IP addresses and, if you are wiring the players, you can see the player's view of this connection. These details are also available in "About My Sonos System ...". For this particular issue, I don't think that /support/review will be much help.

The players have a cache. If a player runs out of data, it will abort the track and try the next track in the Queue. If the player attempts a bunch of tracks, this is an indication that communication to the music source went down. Unfortunately for diagnostic purposes, it is difficult to determine exactly when communication went down because the remainder of a track might already be in the cache. You can play pranks on the system by removing a wired connection while music is playing. Your first reaction will be "did I remove the right connection?" because the music will continue. If the player is able to find an alternate connection before the cache runs out, the music will continue uninterrupted. A really mean prank is to have only one player connected to the network, then move the connection to another player. I can't guarantee that the system will always dig out of this hole, but it is fun when it does. I mention this as an indication that the network support is very robust.
Badge
Thank you to everyone for your generous forbearance and kind persistence. I think it's time to take a break and (1) see how the reserved IPs work over the long term, (2) actively watch the About My Sonos System indications, and (3) submit system diagnostics to a customer rep if and when the problem arises again. Once again, thank you to everyone.
Badge
Reserved IPs don't do a thing to help. Same problem over and over again. Playlist works fine until the user decides to skip to the next track in the playlist, then the Sonos Controller app goes bonkers and says it can't find the next song or any more songs in the playlist. Clear the queue and re-add the same playlist and everything is find until the user wants to skip to the next track, then all hell breaks loose again.