Answered

Music keeps skipping and stopping

• 7 February 2018
  • 23 replies

Music keeps skipping and stopping.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 7 February 2018, 23:26

I'm going to guess that you've recently installed an update of the Sonos software, which sometimes exposes an issue in your local wifi environment, duplicate IP addresses. Not something that really can be 'seen' by looking at the router's IP address table, unfortunately.

The quick and dirty fix is to unplug all of your Sonos devices, reboot the router, and then plug them back in, one at a time, allowing enough time for each to boot up before moving to the next.

But there's a better and more 'permanent' fix, which requires setting up reserved IP addresses for all your devices in your router's software. Usually requires pulling out the manual to figure out how your router handles it, but the MAC addresses would be in the "about my Sonos system" in the controller app.
View original

23 replies

Oops didn’t get that right!

So, all my Sonos speakers keep stopping playback or skipping. Me and my wife only use our iphone 7s for playback with the music source being iTunes music stored on the phones. Both have been restarted and still have the issues. It isn’t Wi-fi signal as they have been fine for months and this has only just started happening in the last 3 weeks. I have watch the Wi-fi signal on my phone whilst playback has skipped and stopped with no loss of Wi-fi signal. Our amazing Sonos system is now pretty much useless as we do not have any other means of control and it is unlistenable as does it every minute or so....

Please help Sonos we love our system.....
I'm going to guess that you've recently installed an update of the Sonos software, which sometimes exposes an issue in your local wifi environment, duplicate IP addresses. Not something that really can be 'seen' by looking at the router's IP address table, unfortunately.

The quick and dirty fix is to unplug all of your Sonos devices, reboot the router, and then plug them back in, one at a time, allowing enough time for each to boot up before moving to the next.

But there's a better and more 'permanent' fix, which requires setting up reserved IP addresses for all your devices in your router's software. Usually requires pulling out the manual to figure out how your router handles it, but the MAC addresses would be in the "about my Sonos system" in the controller app.
This is by far the BEST and ONLY solution I have found after months of having problems like music skipping and speakers dropping off. Use the 'permanent' fix outlined above, it will save you hours, days if not months of frustration. Thank you
Airgetlam!
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
My Sonos system has been fine for the last 8 months up until a couple days ago. Can't play music for more than 30 minutes without it completely stopping in every room it was playing in. Saw an update today thinking maybe that would fix it. I thought wrong. Music still keeps stopping for no reason. SO frustrating.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
ROBBSKI, why not send Sonos a diagnostic from your controller and post the number here so they can look into the problem?
The permanent fix sounds great but maybe a little too abstract for some of us (me). Does anyone have more concrete instructions on how to fix this if you use a eero wirless mesh router?
agree with Vblumen. I am not that technical and my router is a Sky router. I am therefore reluctant to start playing around with that or would not even know how too as this was set up by a Sky engineer. My speaker (s) have been perfect so why would they start doing this now? Surely this is an issue for Sonos to remedy not the non-technical people like me?! Come on Sonos, Please help here. My diagnostic number is 613450323 (posted on another thread too).
If you want, you can just as easily refresh your IP table by unplugging all the Sonos from power, then rebooting the router. Once the router comes back up, plug in one Sonos device at a time, waiting a minute between each one.

This isn’t really a Sonos problem, it’s the router losing track of what IP addresses it has handed out. Sonos just exposes the problem, especially each time it updates the software, as it causes each speaker to do a soft reboot.

Assigning IP addresses is a permanent version of this fix, but in no way a requirement.
Hello Bruce
Thanks for your support. Sadly, that process did not work.
I conducted additional research and learned to change my WiFi channel which Also did not work.
What’s strange is that the first song always seem to play fine but is thereafter it all goes down hill.
Sadly, despite my additional research, I was unable to establish how to assign individual up addresses.
Thanks again.
Andy
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hello Bruce
Thanks for your support. Sadly, that process did not work.
I conducted additional research and learned to change my WiFi channel which Also did not work.
What’s strange is that the first song always seem to play fine but is thereafter it all goes down hill.
Sadly, despite my additional research, I was unable to establish how to assign individual up addresses.
Thanks again.
Andy

Hi there,

From your diagnostic report I see that you have been trying to play audio from your iOS device's storage. Do you get audio interruptions from any other source?

We're investigating an issue where playback is interrupted when streaming from your iOS device's memory when you have non-Sonos AirPlay devices on the network and your iOS device goes into auto lock. This is probably why the first song isn't affected as the device hasn't auto locked yet. You can get the music streaming again by disabling AirPlay on any non-Sonos device on your network, or by disabling auto lock in the settings menu of your iOS device under display and brightness.

Another option is syncing your iPad's library with the iTunes on a computer, then setting up a music share.
Badge
This is interesting to me. I realize that this is a post from a few months ago. However, I JUST got this same response from Sonos 3 days ago. So after 5 months, Sonos is still having this issue playing songs from your IOS memory? FYI- it does the same thing on Android. I've tried it and it's a similar outcome. Next, Sonos will suggest that you install a server like 'PLEX' on your computer, then use that to basically stream music to your Sonos speaker. I'll save you the trouble - this certainly didn't fix my issue (the same that you're having). I installed Plex, put Sonos on its own IP address, and pointed my playlist from Sonos to the Plex server that I'd set up. It plays well. For a while. Then it starts skipping again. I've tried hard wiring the Sonos. I've tried the Bridge. This is apparently a major problem with Sonos and I'm not sure why this hasn't been fixed yet. I will say that these issues started a few months ago. Prior to that, Sonos seemed to work as it should.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
This is interesting to me. I realize that this is a post from a few months ago. However, I JUST got this same apparently 'canned response' from Sonos 3 days ago. So really? After 5 months (?!?!), Sonos is still having this issue playing songs from your IOS memory? FYI- it does the same thing on Android. I've tried it and it's a similar outcome. Next, Sonos will suggest that you install a server like 'PLEX' on your computer, then use that to basically stream music to your Sonos speaker. I'll save you the trouble - this certainly didn't fix my issue (the same that you're having). I installed Plex, put Sonos on its own IP address, and pointed my playlist from Sonos to the Plex server that I'd set up. It plays well. For a while. Then it starts skipping again. I've tried hard wiring the Sonos. I've tried the Bridge. This is apparently a major problem with Sonos and I'm not sure why this hasn't been fixed yet. I will say that these issues started a few months ago. Prior to that, Sonos seemed to work as it should.

Hi there,

There is a current issue with playback from the storage of an iOS device while you have non-Sonos Airplay devices active on your network. If you have audio interruptions from your iOS library only, you can get that streaming working again by disabling Airplay on those non-Sonos devices, or by disabling auto lock on your iOS device.

If you have audio interruptions from any other source, there is something else going on. This guide covers the most common causes of audio interruptions. If that guide doesn't help, submit a diagnostic report after you hear a cut out, then reply here with the confirmation number. If you'd prefer to troubleshoot the issue live, please give us a call.
Badge
And there's the response for the 3rd time. darn. I've submitted many diagnostics and spent hours online talking to your support people (who are great, btw). Just seems like there's something up on the software side of this product.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Just seems like there's something up on the software side of this product.

For iOS devices, yes, it's the iOS design.

For everything else? It's probably your network.

Android devices will also turn off their WiFi connections when you lock your screen. Make sure your WiFi is set to always be on, even when your phone is locked/sleeping.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
And there's the response for the 3rd time. darn. I've submitted many diagnostics and spent hours online talking to your support people (who are great, btw). Just seems like there's something up on the software side of this product.

You have to let Sonos staff know the confirmation number from your diagnostic reports in order for us to find the report and start troubleshooting. The troubleshooting steps will fall into one of the things suggested in the guide I linked, depending on what we see in the report.
Badge
Hi Jeff, I've done that. They were going to have phone support call me. Unfortunately, their hours are not my hours so I am not able to set aside a day to wait for their call and work the problem. I've been relying on support from their Facebook page and this forum (which, again, has been good). The Sonos is used in an office daily with clients (or was, we've gone to a bluetooth solution now) so it was impossible to be in there trying to chase down this issue with your phone support folks while seeing clients. By the time the room is free, it's after hours at Sonos. Also- regarding the Sonos calls- I don't know about u, Jeff, but I do not pick up calls on my cell unless I know who it is. Too many spam calls a day. A great idea for you guys: If you've had Facebook messenger or email interaction with a support customer, send them the phone number of who will be calling them so that they know who is calling and take the call. If I'm at work and I see some random number calling me, I'll ignore it because it's one of about five I get a day. By the way, I DO realize I've crashed another's thread here. Didn't mean to, but as I said, that response really had me scratching my head.
“This isn’t really a Sonos problem, it’s the router losing track of what IP addresses it has handed out.“

If this is true, why does my Google Home, also streaming from Spotify just like my Sonos One, never have any problems? I think it is a Sonos problem.
“This isn’t really a Sonos problem, it’s the router losing track of what IP addresses it has handed out.“

If this is true, why does my Google Home, also streaming from Spotify just like my Sonos One, never have any problems? I think it is a Sonos problem.

Except in the past, when there actually was a "Sonos problem" (Playbar bug), there were multiple threads complaining, and the main thread was up to a thousand of posts in a few days. That's how we know it is not a "Sonos problem".

As to why you Google works, have you tried grouping them? Also, IP problems are not necessarily systemic, it all depends on when and how often a device's IP lease expires, if it has been rebooted due to an update, etc.

Except in the past, when there actually was a "Sonos problem" (Playbar bug), there were multiple threads complaining, and the main thread was up to a thousand of posts in a few days. That's how we know it is not a "Sonos problem".

As to why you Google works, have you tried grouping them? Also, IP problems are not necessarily systemic, it all depends on when and how often a device's IP lease expires, if it has been rebooted due to an update, etc.

I'm new here, but there seems to be a lot of threads on "Sonos skipping/stopping" in 2018-2019.

Not sure what "grouping" technically means from a wireless connectively point of view, but yes I have 5 Google home devices (including Home, Home Mini, Chromecast Audio, and third party speakers) in the house for over a year, and some are grouped together for simultaneous play or stereo paired, and they've never skipped or stopped playing like my Sonos One does.

I'm new here, but there seems to be a lot of threads on "Sonos skipping/stopping" in 2018-2019.

Not sure what "grouping" technically means from a wireless connectively point of view, but yes I have 5 Google home devices (including Home, Home Mini, Chromecast Audio, and third party speakers) in the house for over a year, and some are grouped together for simultaneous play or stereo paired, and they've never skipped or stopped playing like my Sonos One does.

I've been here 10+ years, and the times an actual "Sonos problem" caused the things you are experiencing I can count on two fingers. On the other hand, the times a poster has insisted it is not their network and then found out differently once they did a refresh number in the thousands.

But you can believe what you want to believe.

I've been here 10+ years, and the times an actual "Sonos problem" caused the things you are experiencing I can count on two fingers. On the other hand, the times a poster has insisted it is not their network and then found out differently once they did a refresh number in the thousands.

But you can believe what you want to believe.

I think it depends on how you define "Sonos problem" vs. "network problem." It seems like my Sonos One is very sensitive to network imperfections - WiFi signal strength, WiFi interference, IP address switching, being connected via ethernet vs. WiFi, etc. So technically, yes, these are network issues. But my other media streaming devices, whether we're talking audio or video, have not had any issues with my network for years. They "just work" while the Sonos takes some babying to avoid skipping/cutting out.

I think it depends on how you define "Sonos problem" vs. "network problem." It seems like my Sonos One is very sensitive to network imperfections - WiFi signal strength, WiFi interference, IP address switching, being connected via ethernet vs. WiFi, etc. So technically, yes, these are network issues. But my other media streaming devices, whether we're talking audio or video, have not had any issues with my network for years. They "just work" while the Sonos takes some babying to avoid skipping/cutting out.

Any streaming device will be sensitive to duplicate IP addresses. You can fix that sensitivity in about 2 minutes by reserving a permanent IP address for those devices on your router.

Or you can continue to blame Sonos, winning the internet pissing match, but losing out on the music. You're not the first person to die on that hill.

Any streaming device will be sensitive to duplicate IP addresses. You can fix that sensitivity in about 2 minutes by reserving a permanent IP address for those devices on your router.

Or you can continue to blame Sonos, winning the internet pissing match, but losing out on the music. You're not the first person to die on that hill.

I actually did reserve permanent IP addresses earlier today for each of my two Sonos Ones (stereo mode) today. And so far... ::knocks on wood:: no more song skipping! So, I guess I've choosen to live on the music hill.

Still, I don't think a permanent IP address should need to be a common fix for seamless operation. Average consumers don't even know how to access their router settings (even if it's easy to do) and competing devices seem to do OK without it.