Answered

Music Files Not Available

Userlevel 1
Badge

Diagnostic Submission 1715958179

I recently came across the error ‘Music Files Not Available’ with the sub text:
[Network Path] is no longer available. The device where the music files are stored may
not be powered on, or the path may have changed.
Go to Settings > System > Music Library > Music Library Setup to
check the path

I know the path is perfectly fine as I can browse the files via my computer and the files play if I select them via Apple Music. I have rebooted my router, Sonos Controller is up to date, I’ve turned file sharing off and on again, deleted the music library from the settings and added it again, number of tracks <15k.

So I have tried all I can think of with no success. 

icon

Best answer by Darren_Judge 25 July 2022, 11:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Darren_Judge 

Thanks for your post!

Unless you woke up at 6:26am and immediately unplugged the ethernet cable to your Boost and plugged it back in again, 4 times in one minute, I highly recommend that you replace your ethernet cable. 😁

Seeing as you’re probably buying a new cable anyway, I recommend perhaps getting a slightly longer ethernet cable if that’s what it will take to get your Boost further away from your router than it is presently. 1m should suffice. This will reduce interference which may not be the cause of the problem reported, but is nice to get rid of.

I hope this helps.

Edit: If the issues persist after replacing the cable, please submit a support diagnostic once more. Thanks.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Corry P 

Thanks for this. I’ve replaced the ethernet cable and moved the Boost but I’m still getting the issue.

Diagnostics submitted; #159660187.

Many thanks

Darren

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Darren_Judge 

Thanks for trying those steps - there are still the same errors happening, but it was good to clear that as a possible source of the problem.

Now that we have done that, we are in a better position to move to the next step - please disconnect the ethernet cable from your Playbase. It is currently acting as the connection point for all your speakers, barring two - and one of those is a Roam so only ever connects to WiFi! Given that the Playbase is likely surrounded by other electronics, I think the Boost is now in a better state to take the load.

After disconnecting the cable, all you need do is wait one minute or so and then test. If things still don’t go well, it’s more likely to now be the configuration or connection of whatever is hosting the library (updates can sometimes reset certain settings). I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to investigate further and assist directly. Please reboot your entire Sonos system to clear the current error logs and recreate the issue once more before getting in touch - this will make it easier for the agent to see what is current in the diagnostic summaries and speed up the call. Please also allow 20 minutes between the reboot and calling so that enough transmission performance data is logged for assessment, seeing as the topography of the Sonos system has now changed.

I hope this helps.

Edit: It’s probably a good idea to reboot your router too - switch it all off, wait 30 seconds, turn on the router. When WiFi is back on, turn on the Boost and when it has a solid white light, turn on the rest.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Corry P 

I’ve removed the playable ethernet cable and no joy. I’m going to be away for about the next week so I won’t be able to tackle rebooting the system / contacting tech support for a little while just in case you thought I was ignoring your last update.

Many thanks

Darren

Userlevel 1
Badge

After about 2 hrs and 4 different Sonos agents on 4 different phone calls this issue has been resolved. It turns out there was a very slight issue with the network path used for the library. Call it word blindness but the network path contained ‘iTunes Media’ which I was continually typing as ‘iTunesMedia’ the rest of the network path was accurate and correct so Sonos thought it was a genuine path when added but when it tried to read it to find the music it couldn’t . Once it was typed in correctly it indexed the library, (a lengthy operation) and has since been working well once more.

I have no idea why it occurred in the first place but it’s fixed and that’s pretty much all I’m worried about.

Userlevel 1
Badge

😭😭😭

Typed the above update and now it’s all broken again 

I give up

😭😭😭

Typed the above update and now it’s all broken again 

I give up

I would perhaps double-check the path is correct (again) and check any cable connections. Keep the Boost at least ‘one metre’ away from anything else that has a wireless.

Userlevel 1
Badge

This morning I’ve done some tests by setting up some music libraries at different levels on the NAS drive including one in exactly the same sub-level as the library that is causing the issue. 
This has led me to believe it is something to do with the music within the library. I’m currently trying to re-organise/consolidate that music before I try adding it again.

The Boost is as far away from anything else as it’s power supply/network cable will allow.

Fingers crossed 

Darren

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Ken_Griffiths 

The re-organisation didn’t work but I have just changed the settings on the NAS drive so that it is only using SMB v1. It was previously set to use all versions from v1 through to v3.

This seems to have worked and the music has now indexed. 

Admittedly I have 4 different music libraries now (3 tests and my main one) but I’m just gonna leave it as is for now just in case.

Hopefully this is the end of it.

Darren

Just to briefly mention @Darren_Judge that the lower you go with the SMB protocol, the less secure things are. If you can get things to work on v2 or higher, that would be better, but it’s upto you. The local network itself is likely secure anyway, but there’s no harm in trying to improve security at every level.