Question

Music dropping out when playing from Music Library

Badge

For some time now, I have found that I get more playback hiccups on Sonos when I am playing from my Music Library which is connected to a NAS drive which is connected by cable to my wireless router. I find it counter intuitive that I get more problems on playback here than when playing from entirely streamed sources such as Spotify or Tune In radio. Has anyone got any suggestions? Is this likely to be an issue with my WiFi router (Virgin Media)?

16 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Colincam, sorry for the late response, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

I would like to take a look at your Sonos system, could you please take a diagnostic and reply with the diagnostic confirmation number?

I would like to check your router as well. Can you please get the model of your router model.

So, I could check on my end if we have an issue with it.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Badge

Thanks for getting back to me. I appear to have the matter resolved now thanks to help from Sonos Support on Twitter last week. The solution was to hard wire my Play 3 to my Router, using Ethernet plugs, along with changing the Sonos Channel to Channel 1. Sadly, the ability to direct message the Sonos support team has disappeared along with the contents of all my messages to them, so I cannot check everything we did to resolve the problem.

Had some other problems recently where I cannot connect to the Sonos system despite my WiFi being fine for other devices. Only solution appears to be to switch off and disconnect the router which seems pretty excessive. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Colincam, thank you for the update.

I’m glad to hear the issue is resolved, just reach out if you have other concerns.

For the recent issue, it would seem like the Sonos speakers are having minor connection issues.

You can take a look at this article to reduce wireless interference

Badge

Thanks. I’ll look at the article you have suggested and make some further adjustments if necessary. I could send you diagnostics from the problem I had yesterday before I rebooted if that would be helpful. Can I send this to you privately? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Colincam, thanks for the reply.

If the speakers are working as intended, that won’t be necessary to troubleshoot with a diagnostic.

If ever you need help, just reach out. 

Badge

Hi @Kyle A .

Unfortunately, after several weeks of no issues with playback from my Music Library after changing the SonosNet channel, the problem of drop outs from playback from my Music Library have returned with .a vengeance. Would I be able to submit diagnostics to you to review?

Regards,

Colin 

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

HI @Colincam, thank you for reaching back to the Sonos community. I appreciate you for providing us your concern. Let me help you with this.

It would be great if you can submit a diagnostic from your computer to check your Sonos system. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Badge

Thanks. I’ll send this through tomorrow. 

Badge

Hi @Rowena B. 

I have submitted some diagnostics for you. The number is 80857159. If you wish me to send you information about my configuration, I would prefer to do that privately. I can also let you know what was done last time to resolve the issues I was having earlier in the year.

Regards,

Colin

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi @Colincam, thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostic report. Let me check it for you.

Upon checking, there’s a network-related issue in your Sonos system. This usually caused by network communication, either between Sonos devices and your router or between Sonos and the internet. Also, the diagnostic report was submitted from your iOS device.

To correct this, the next step is to perform a sequential reboot of your network devices, all your Sonos products, and force close mobile controllers to refresh the connection.

A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order:
1. Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
2. Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
3. Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
4. When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.

After performing the steps above and you're still experiencing the same problem with your music library, you may continue working with us over the phone. You can contact our Sonos Customer Care support with your full network setup including the make and model of each device.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions.

You're always welcome here.

Badge

Thanks, @Rowena B. I’ve perfomed the remedial steps. Let's hope that improves things. I'll get back in touch if not. 

Regards,

Colin

Badge

Hi @Rowena B. it worked fine for just over one album but the problem has now recurred. I’ve submitted some more diagnostics.1387298294

Colin.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi @Colincam, thank you for keeping us posted and for letting us know what's happening. Let me check the diagnostic that you provided.

Upon checking the diagnostic, I can see 4 Sonos devices, and one speaker is wired to your router that supposed to show that your system is in SonosNet mode. However, your system is showing that all your speakers are connected to your WiFi. 

I'd like to ask some questions to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

1. Did you submit the diagnostic from your computer? 
  2. Did you get any error message when playing music from your computer? What's the error message or error code?
  3. Are you using a Windows PC or a MAC? Can you tell me the OS (operating system) of your computer?
  4. Have you tried updating your music library? How about removing and re-adding it on the Sonos app?
  5. Have you tried recreating the sharing permissions on the folder?
  6. Have you configured the computer firewall to work with Sonos? 
  7. If you have an antivirus installed on your Windows PC, you may check the firewall configuration settings to ensure that it's not blocking Sonos.

Please submit another diagnostic of your system and reply back with the confirmation number. It would be great if you can submit from your computer and other mobile devices to check both reports. This will allow us to see how your system is functioning, and help provide a resolution.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Badge

Hi @Rowena B. 

I have submitted the diagnostics again from my iPhone. I didn’t see any error messages on my phone but I wasn’t looking at it when the hiccups occurred. I do have the Sonos controller installed on a Windows 10 laptop but I wasn’t using this at the time. 

My current installation is:

Play 1 - connected wirelessly

Play 5 - connected wirelessly

Connect - connected wirelessly

Play 3 - hard wired to an Ethernet plug.

The system has been set up like this since June of this year as advised by your support team following submission of numerous diagnostics. Previously I had been advised that it was not necessary to have any of the devices hard wired but the advice I was given in June was that the issues with interference were addressed by hard wiring my Play 3. At that time, I was also advised to change the SonosNet channel from Channel 6 to Channel 1.  

I have updated my music library several times in the last few weeks. I haven’t tried removing it and adding it again. I am a bit nervous about doing that!

I will submit more diagnostics tomorrow from both my Windows laptop and from my iPhone.

Badge

Hi. I have now managed to submit some diagnostics following various hiccups on playback from my Music Library. Firstly, I submitted diagnostics from my laptop. The number is 1472960750. I also saw the following error message on my laptop:

From Sonos on my Windows laptop

I also submitted the following diagnostics from my iPhone - 1329880026

I also this error message on my iPhone:

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Colin

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi @Colincam, thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostics.

Upon checking, there’s a network-related issue in your Sonos system. This usually caused by network communication, either between Sonos devices and your router or between Sonos and the internet. 

Thanks for your patience while working through this. We appreciate the time and effort you've spent troubleshooting with us, and we feel it would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process. 

You can contact our Sonos Customer Care support with your full network setup including the make and model of each device and for more in-depth troubleshooting steps to provide you the best option.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions.

You're always welcome here.