Question

Music dropping out

• 19 December 2016
  • 11 replies

Badge
Hi, this is my first post as I have a problem with intermittent dropping out of music playing. It may be my Network but in general terms it seems fine for other activities and I have wifi boosters across the house.
This seems to have occurred since the last update.
Can you offer some guidance on diagnosing the likely cause please. Thanks.
BTW, I have 3 x Sonos 3s, a Surround Sound system plus a Connect and a Boost.
Thanks in advance,

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Same here for TV sounds running through the Playbar to surround sound speakers. I updated this morning and we've been suffering from intermittent dropping all day.
Userlevel 2
Badge
This is a HUGE problem for me. Like you, it only began after the last update. It is exceptionally annoying. I get just about any combination of errors that you can think of - dropped completely, drops for a bit and returns, dropped and the room(s) involved disappear completely from the controller. It happens with one room, worse with two in a group and you can usually just sit a few minutes and wait for it to happen with four or more in a group. I have eight connects and two soundbars. All of this worked very well for months before the last update. The dropout issue started IMMEDIATELY after the latest update.
Are you using the Spotify app? I have been having this happen when using the Spotify app almost every 3-5 songs. It pauses the music and the Sonos disconnects. I need to re-select the Sonos devices. It seemed to be working fine when I was on the Sonos Beta app but once I went to the new release it has been having nothing but problems. Very frustrating. When can we expect a fix Sonos?
Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
I just tried the reboot/power cycle and it is still having the problems. I don't know how to do the whole IP address to each MAC address and don't have my router manual. It worked well before this recent update. Can I go back to the Beta release? This is frustrating.
Unfortunately, Sonos doesn't support downgrading to previous versions of their apps. However, if you're interested, it's quite likely that if you did a google search for your router name and the word "manual", you'd be able to find a copy of the information online.

Since you say it didn't clear the problem, and you powered off everything that connects to your internet, I think you'd be best served by doing the research and setting assigned IP addresses for your devices. I'd recommend starting away from the current set of IPs.

It really would be nice if router software could identify IP addresses that have conflicts, but unfortunately they only show what is currently connected, and don't maintain a list of multiple devices that have been connected to the IP address in the last 30 minutes (to give an arbitrary amount of time).
Userlevel 2
Hi. I'm having these exact same problems too. Since the upgrade to Sonos 7.0 which I think I ran about a week ago, it now goes into pattern where it looks like it's playing a selected song on the app but there is no sound coming out of any connected Sonos device then a grey and white error message comes up which says that "the connection to Spotify was lost". I am using an Android HTC 10 to run Sonos and Spotify. Used to work fine. I can see all Sonos devices. I have already completely reloaded Sonos and Spotify apps to the phone from the Play Store. Can anyone help?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys, the suggestion to reboot the entire network following an update is usually a great place to start. All of your players reboot and need new IP addresses and there can all sorts of other trouble that comes up during this process.

If you're still having any trouble we're happy to take a look. Can you let us know what's going on, the more details the better, and please submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and include the confirmation number with your post?
Just back from holiday travels. Still having same problem. Here is my diagnostic code. 6999346 Let me know what is happening. I have no clue how to set dedicated IP addresses for my seekers. Do you have instructions how to do this. This is getting very frustrating and I am considering returning my 4 Sonos speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Just back from holiday travels. Still having same problem. Here is my diagnostic code. 6999346 Let me know what is happening. I have no clue how to set dedicated IP addresses for my seekers. Do you have instructions how to do this. This is getting very frustrating and I am considering returning my 4 Sonos speakers.

Hi Marcusr5,

It would be best to work with our phone team on this issue. Please give us a call and reference case number: 170118-003385. You can find our phone number and hours here.
Ok. What are their hours of operation. I'm usually not home between 9-6PM Pacific