Answered

Music dropouts on radio and streaming

• 16 June 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi all,

I have quite a frustrating problem.

My Sonos system drops sound for a few seconds randomly. This used to appear to be on the radio in our kitchen amp mainly. If I had the radio grouped with the garden it was only the kitchen amp that dropped and the garden continued so this is not an issue of the radio station timing out. I found that this was an amp working wirelessly, so I wired the connection to my network switch and reconfigured. The issue now seems to happen in more rooms than before. It is getting more frustrating and is even doing it on streaming services aswell.

I’m basically asking whether it is better for my system to be wired with the amps individually connected via my network switch or with a direct feed from my router and each Sonos product daisy chained on from there. Also are there any router ports that could be opened to help?

All of my amps are currently in my loft space with speaker cables run through my house to each room.

My Sonos/network description is below to hopefully get the best advice;

Netgear Nighthawk XR500 with ethernet cable running to Netgear GS116 16 port switch.

From the switch I have Connect:Amp in (master bedroom, bathroom, kitchen & garden), Connect in living room (connected to Onkyo amp), all of these are wired.

I have 2 Sonos Play:1 in two other bedrooms and a Playbar (with sub and 2 Play:1 rears) all wireless.

All products have static IP addresses assigned.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Xander P 17 June 2021, 09:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Reavo81, welcome to the Sonos Community!

It sounds like there may be a little interference affecting the system. In general, wiring each amp via the network switch should work well, however there may be some settings that can be adjusted to improve performance.

I’d recommend submitting a diagnostic and then reaching out to our Support Team via live chat or phone call so they can take a closer look :)

Userlevel 2
Badge

Has this ever worked reliably? If so, did issue start after last update? There is another thread on Spotify issue that sounds like this but may not be related if not spotify obviously. 

Yes always worked fine, been in the house 6 years, seems to have been worse since S2. I just contacted support and was told to try rewiring as a daisy chain to take my switch out. 

I’ve done that and daisy chained from Router>Living room (Connect)>Master bedroom>Bathroom>Garden>Kitchen (all Connect:Amps). Kitchen and Garden still drops off.

Cables are all replaced even though they were fine before aswell.

Raised a request and spoke to Support team. No real answer so will just need to live with it.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sucks. I’ve got 11 speakers from arc to play 1 and have intermittent issues. Sometimes it’s an update that sets it off, other times power goes out and all of my Wi-Fi channel optimizations have to be redone as router and eveything reboots. See if you can check out Wi-Fi signal where you are having problem using an app on phone or better, Wi-Fi diagnostics on laptop. Might have to change Wi-Fi channel for access point and or sonosnet if there is overlap. That kills my connection to all of these. In small 80yr old house with plaster walls and Wi-Fi has been a PIA to get right for sonos. Good luck. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Reavo81, understood - we don’t recommend daisy-chaining any more than 3 Sonos devices, so it may be better to leave a few of the devices wireless, and let them connect via the SonosNet mesh.

Let us know if this helps at all :)

So no, no effect.

No matter how I configure this system I get dropouts and they’re getting more regular. 

i had them wired through the switch, then Sonos tell me to daisy chain then I get told you can’t daisy chain.

this system worked fine for years and these issues seem to only have occurred since S2 came out.

I have a good router, maybe there are some ports that can be opened??

the weird this about this fault is that the music doesn’t actually stop. If we are listening to a song on Spotify for example, the song continues to play (the seconds keep ticking) but the sound just drops for a few seconds.

I love Sonos but this is getting to be a more regular issue, no other device on my network drops off…