Answered

Music cutting out

Diagnostic# 1654966345

Music keeps cutting out, terribly… 

Tried to reset entire setup incl router.

Tried to change channels

Tried with 1 wired, rest wireless.

Can't really think of much more what would help...

icon

Best answer by Corry P 6 July 2022, 10:06

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Martijn92 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Your diagnostic was missing some rooms, so I didn’t get a full picture of what’s happening, but it seems likely that interference is the cause of your problems.

Given that all your devices seem affected, I presume that it is the router that is needing assistance in this regard, though the speakers that are present in the diagnostic are also reporting interference.

Please read our Reducing wireless interference page and aim to separate all your WiFi devices - especially your router - from all other WiFi devices by at least 1m. If you have any smart home hubs wired to your router, these would be good candidates for relocating to the furthest extent of their connecting cables.

If, when you tried having one ethernet-wired Sonos product, that unit was nearer to the router than 1m, it would be worth trying again with them separate.

I hope this helps.

Hi Corry,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Indeed, one room does not want to connect to the others anymore…

If my router is directly next to my Sonos, would this also cause the interference?
Or are Sonos devices excluded from this?

Thanks in advance!

Best

Martijn

Hey there,

so things are starting to get better.

I found out that I have 2 rooms that won’t work together.

the “kitchen” or keuken in my system and my “bedroom” or slaapkamer in my system are not working at the same time. These are both play:2 boxes.

Diagnostics 1141743612

for the rest things look pretty fine now regarding continuous playing of music.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Martijn92 

If my router is directly next to my Sonos, would this also cause the interference?

Yes! The router will interfere with the speaker - like when someone shouts in your ear but you can’t understand a word. Likewise, the speaker will interfere with the router, making it hard for all your other WiFi devices to communicate with it.

Or are Sonos devices excluded from this?

No. All devices that transmit radio waves will interfere with each other if they are too close. If they utilise different frequencies, the interference will be lessened, but in the case of WiFi keep them all separate.

the “kitchen” or keuken in my system and my “bedroom” or slaapkamer in my system are not working at the same time. These are both play:2 boxes.

When you group 2 or more rooms, the room picked first can be an important choice as it will be in charge of getting the stream and distributing it to the other players. Please experiment with different rooms in charge - one configuration will likely work better than the rest.

If you’ve done all you can to reduce interference (including keeping smartphones away from the speakers, and not having them on a metal or glass surface) and still have playback issues, the problem may be interference from your neighbours’ WiFi, as all the channels are quite busy. You could certainly try changing channel in your router’s settings, but it’s unclear which channel would be better. You should, however, only ever use channels 1, 6 and 11 as they are the only ones that do not overlap. You are currently on channel 6.

I hope this helps.