Music cuts out/jumps to next tracks

Userlevel 1
Music from my library cuts out and other times, jumps to next track. As many others have reported, this has never happened... only after I upgraded to 4.1. And no, it has nothing to do with my wi-fi connection (or my computer's connection to/signal from my wi-fi router to/from my controllers. It happens even when I have full signal and full functionality/connection from my controller (Macbook Pro or iPhone) for all other uses (surfing the Internet, sending/receiving email, etc.) and no glitches or downtime occurring with any of the other 10 Internet connected devices in my house. Also, yes (even in the face of my wi-fi router obviously functioning fully), I still took the time to pull the power on it for >30 secs... on several occasions, and to no affect.

238 replies

Userlevel 1
I'm having the same issues and have tried everything listed on the forums to try and resolve the issue. I loved the system, but I'm nearing the end of my patience. How do I get a refund if this isn't corrected? Sonos your reputation is on the line. I spent over 4k on my home system and it worked without fail for months. Now the skipping!!! 3165110 is my diagnostic report. Please contact me
Having same problem. Cuts out 3 quarters way through a track and immediately starts next... so doesn't sound like it's a streaming capacity/bandwidth issue. Would appreciate help. This makes my Sonos unusable
Badge
Exact same behaviour we see Stuart - hey Sonos team, lot of us having the same problem - and as per my tests, this happens not just for Web streaming services but also my hard-earned x10 music library. Would love to get to the bottom of this as we love our Sonos system when it works right!!
Badge
I have also been having the problem of songs stopping before they end and then jump to the next song, this is only happening on my Iphone and Ipad, I think have tracked it back to the Auto-Lock function, it appears to be OK if you switch this to "Never" the problem goes away.

Any idea's?

Regards
Stephen
Thanks. I'll post the resolution, when that happens. I ended up emailing support and included my Diagnostic Number from a screenshot I took.
Badge
So, as mentioned earlier, I turned the "Auto- Off" setting on my iPad to "Never" and played a whole album with no problems.

I feel this is a problem with conflicts between the Apple IOS and Sonos App and wish these corporate's would get together and help each other which in turn would help us - The Customers!!!!!!!!!!!

Open source is supposed to mean inter interoperability.
Just received three Play 1s in the mail today and hooked them up. First time Sonos user. Right out of the box I found that my music was skipping to the next track mid-song on almost every track of the album. I’m playing music from my iPhone (not streaming service) and everything, including my brand new iPhone XS and the Sonos app and firmware are all running the very latest software. Diagnostics code: 540565934
New user. Everything up to date. Same issue. No problem with streaming. No problem with iTunes playlist in airplay. Just iTunes playlist through sonos app. No songs finish. Unusable.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, cdd853. There is currently an ongoing issue with streaming from iOS devices. The suggested workaround, as you say, is to turn off the autolockscreen functionality. We hope to resolve this through other means soon.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hello,

Where is your music library located? Is Sonos streaming the library off of your MacBook Pro or off of another computer / Network Attached Storage device?

Has Sonos dropped out when playing from any other sources, like Internet Radio?

I'd like to see a diagnostic report from your Sonos system right after a cutout occurs. Please follow the instructions here in order to submit a report, then let me know what the confirmation number is and I'll have a look.

Thanks.
Userlevel 1
I'm having the same issues and have tried everything listed on the forums to try and resolve the issue. I loved the system, but I'm nearing the end of my patience. How do I get a refund if this isn't corrected? Sonos your reputation is on the line. I spent over 4k on my home system and it worked without fail for months. Now the skipping!!! 3165110 is my diagnostic report. Please contact me
All components and it I only use Spotify and the playbars for TV. No issues with TV just Spotify.
I have the same issue. Tracks cutout halfway through all songs. I've tried three albums so far via Spotify. I hadn't had this particular problem before and have had my system for about 10 months, but I recently upgraded the software per the Sonos recommendation and that's when the problems started. I ran the recommended diagnostic per the above instruction. My diagnostic number is 3211622.
I have same problem. You have not responded to my entry (title "software update trashed system"...includes diagnostic report number). System was stable for months, and went horribly unstable after I updated. Runs intermittently now, crashes all the time. I want to revert firmware versions, or I want a complete refund on all components (2* connect-amp, 1* connect, 1* bridge, 2* play-5). Can't you guys act like professionals?
I concur with jcasey and would also like to revert to previous firmware versions or receive a refund. This is ridiculous! My system is unusable and customer service has been zero help despite my willingness to work for them as a test facility for their own equipment!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Having the exact same Problem. The system was stable up to several weeks ago. Songs skip on paid lastfm and deezer accounts. System reset, moving components, new ethernet cable, changing channels. Did it all as suggested in different threads, still to no avail. Streaming radio via tunein doesn't stall or skip interestingly. Its a shame, cause sonos is a great system! Any ideas? Diagnostics number: 3217853.
Hi Mike,

Was the Kitchen PLAY:3 ever the primary wired Sonos component in your system? Right now it looks like Bedroom is, but Kitchen is still acting as the Root Bridge for the system (even though it's wireless). We can help change this to make the Sonos communication a bit more streamlined and organized if necessary; first, can you try swapping the Bedroom and Kitchen PLAY:3s temporarily to see if the organization change helps the dropout issue?

If it doesn't, please grab one more diagnostic report and I'll take a look at the updated layout.

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

There's a wifi extender about 6 ft away from dining room (L). I've just moved it so that it's more like 13 feet away.

Hi Afroken,

Please test your system out and send in a new diagnostic report if any issues continue.
Here are my diagnostic numbers.
5611410 and the error log says "song is not encoded correctly"

did it again

and Again even after I connected it to ethernet. Reset controller etc etc
I'm EXTREMELY disappointed in the results of Apple / Sonos conversion. What really has me upset now is that "For You" is completely useless. Songs never complete. They play a minute or so and jump to the next one and it never completes and so on until after about 10 minutes transmission just stops.. And yes I installed the latest "fix" today that was supposed to address Apple issues. NOT. And no don't tell me my network is hosed because Pandora worked just fine. At this point I'm ready to scrap Sonos and get a few wireless speakers and run Apple music off of my MAC. This is completely unacceptable. I get no no error messages only " the song is not encoded correctly." when I run error log.
I'm having the same issue. Tried changing channel from 6 to 11, then to 1. Neither worked. I just submitted diagnostics 7324749. thx
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Update did not fix my issue, it actuslly made it worse. Instead of skipping tracks now it kerps jumping back or stuttering during a song! This needs to be resolved ASAP please.

Just ran another diagnostic (7301670) so can you check this out and sort my issue please?

It may help to adjust your router's wireless channel to one that is a bit less crowded. Try changing your router to wireless channel 1 or 6 and see if that helps.
I'm having very similar issues. I have an older home (plaster!) with a robust Eero wireless setup that has been working very well for about a year since setting it up. Much of our house is hard wired to the Eero's (some are wirelessly connected) to create a pretty robust mesh wireless network. Over the past six months The Sonos system was installed and initially was generally working well. I have one room with a PlayBar and Sub (hard wired), one room with two Play1's, one rom with a single Play1, one room with a Play3 (hard wired) and another room with it's own AV setup on a Connect (hard wired). Now I'm finding continuous issues with the sound cutting out (specifically Spotify and streaming TuneIn and XM stations. Music or a stream will play for 30 seconds or less, the cut out for 20-60 seconds or longer, then come back on. Spotify will just skip tracks. I also have major issues when I have TV audio or something like my turntable playing out through a Sonos Connect feeding into the system. I have gone as far to have Comcast out numerous times as I felt the internet was to blame. I've even replaced the modem and had a ton of diagnostic work done through Eero. Nobody can seem to figure out the issues. I've done many of the suggestions here (adjusting wireless channels, compression, etc.). There also does not seem to be a difference in issues with the hard wired vs. wireless Sonos setups. Would very much appreciate some help and guidance as the system is generally becoming unusable. Diagnostic# 7368081. Thank you for your time!
Badge
Hi mjs81. The diagnostic shows a few things that stand out. First, can you please clear the wireless credentials (step 3 under "Standard Setup") from your system? The Library still has your WiFi saved, which can cause problems.

Also, it appears that your Eero system is on channel 1, while your Sonos system is on channel 11. That's great to have them so far apart. Have you tried reversing them to see if Sonos is more stable on channel 1 instead?

Finally, with the players that are cutting out, have you tried re-positioning them to see if we can move them away from other sources of interference?
@Atom P - thanks for your response. I've cleared the wireless credentials and now only have on Sonos device hardwired (the PlayBar). Everything else was separated off and is wireless only. I restarted all devices and cycled my modem, Eero system and network switch. I'm not aware that I can change the wireless channels of the Eero System although I've reached out to them as well. I have repositioned players often, it has not helped. At times even the sub (which is 20 feet from the playbar that it's paired with - in the same room) cuts out.

The new updated diagnostic is: 7373293

Thank you.
Badge +1
@Atom P - thanks for your response. I've cleared the wireless credentials and now only have on Sonos device hardwired (the PlayBar). Everything else was separated off and is wireless only. I restarted all devices and cycled my modem, Eero system and network switch. I'm not aware that I can change the wireless channels of the Eero System although I've reached out to them as well. I have repositioned players often, it has not helped. At times even the sub (which is 20 feet from the playbar that it's paired with - in the same room) cuts out.

The new updated diagnostic is: 7373293

Thank you.

Hi mjs81, thanks for the diagnostic. Do the audio drops happen mainly on grouped rooms or have you experienced it on rooms playing on their own?
Thanks for your reply. They tend to happen regardless of grouped rooms or not. I would say however it is more likely to occur in group rooms more than non-grouped.
I have three Sonos speakers, but my wife as stopped using Sonos altogether because of this song cutout problem. She still tries on occasion, but after the first song in her playlist skips, she tells me "Did I ever tell you how much I hate Sonos?". I'm fairly certainly I'll move to the Apple Home Pod when it comes out. The only real question is how long before the Home Pod release should I sell my Sonos on eBay in order to get the best price before market share shifts.