Music cuts out/jumps to next tracks

Show first post

238 replies

I too, am having the same issue with my husband's iPhone and all components of our Sonos system (we have multiple Playbars, Play 3s, and Play 5s.   Doesn't seem to matter what room, but whenever he plays from his iTunes library it plays 75% of the song and then skips to the next.  I submitted diagnostic reports from my PC (3353568) and his iPhone (3353579)
Have been experiencing the same since upgrading to newest SW. Today I submitted a diagnostics report within minutes after it happened on one of my ZP120's: Confirmation number 3339932.

Setup: 2 ZP 90's (one acting as bridge), 2 ZP120's, 1 ZP80, a Play:3 and 5 WD100's. The only wired unit is the ZP90 acting as bridge.

I have experienced the issue across both ZP120's and ZP90's - and both when listening to streaming services (TDC Play) and directly from my NAS.

I wonder if Ryan is still monitoring this thread? I hope so...

BR,

-- 
Jakob

Just did two other tests;

1. Wired ethernet not (necessarily) involved at all:
Playing songs stored in iPod Classic docked in one of the WD100's: Audio drops out very frequently on one or more zones. Sometimes audio is restored after seconds, sometimes it times out and needs manual restart.
Diagnostic report confirmation number: 3352494 (submitted shortly after experiencing the issue)

2. Both wired ethernet, firewall and internet involved:
Streaming from 'TDC PLay' service. As when playing from NAS, some tracks are suddenly skipped and the next track begins after a short break.
Diagnostic report confirmation number: 3353995 (submitted shortly after experiencing the issue)
And I too am having this problem with my new Play 1 - songs will simply stop in the middle, and if there's no other song queued up it goes silent, otherwise it jumps to the next track.

I control the Play 1 almost exclusively with my iPhone 5s as the controller, though I have the app on several other devices, including a MacBook Pro, a late-2009 iMac - both running OS X Mavericks - an older iPhone 4, and an iPad 3, all iDevices on iOS 7.0.4. I've had the problem playing music from the phone's library and from Spotify. I haven't noticed the issue with Pandora or the Sonos streaming radio services, at least so far. This just happened about 5 minutes ago, and I submitted a diagnostic report, #3330620.

I am testing it with music from my physical iTunes library upstairs controlled from my laptop now, though I suspect the source of control is not the problem, unless another live application is issuing some conflicting command on its own. If I experience another issue in this format, I will submit another diagnostic.

I have to say, I LOVE the Sonos technology and the freedom it gives, especially in the space we are in, which can't easily be wired for sound. I want to consider purchasing several more Sonos components for other areas of the house, but if this is a persistent issue, I will have to think again. Please reassure me that this is an issue being addressed, and that it will be corrected soon in an update.

Thank you,
Matt L.

Just so you know, I've moved the Bridge from atop the router to a few feet away, and I have not experienced any trouble since. I haven't played much from my local library, however, but Spotify seems to be working as I would expect now.

Thanks for your help!
I am also having this problem with my brand new Play 1, streaming music from my NAS.  Tried changing the channel from 11 to 1 but problem persists.

Wondering if I need to move my bridge to somewhere else in the house, but not even sure if this problem is related to signal.  Any help would be appreciated.

Just submitted diagnostics: 3355132

Thanks Alun
I am also having this problem with my brand new Play 1, streaming music from my NAS.  Tried changing the channel from 11 to 1 but problem persists.

Wondering if I need to move my bridge to somewhere else in the house, but not even sure if this problem is related to signal.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Alun
Same issue here with my brand new play 3. Playing songs from my iPhone library playlist. Within about 30 seconds, the system advances to the next song. This is quite an expensive speaker to have such an obvious and common glitch.
I'm having this exact same problem with my iPhone and iPhone library playlist where it plays for a set amount of time and then skips to the next one and then it plays for a set amount of time and skips to the next song, etc.  If I change it to play songs from our server from my iPhone immediately after this I don't have an issue.  My husband can play using his Android with no issues.  It's very frustrating.  I'd love to know if this gets fixed.  Seems like an iPhone issue.  
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Have been experiencing the same since upgrading to newest SW. Today I submitted a diagnostics report within minutes after it happened on one of my ZP120's: Confirmation number 3339932.

Setup: 2 ZP 90's (one acting as bridge), 2 ZP120's, 1 ZP80, a Play:3 and 5 WD100's. The only wired unit is the ZP90 acting as bridge.

I have experienced the issue across both ZP120's and ZP90's - and both when listening to streaming services (TDC Play) and directly from my NAS.

BR,

-- 
Jakob

Jakob, thanks so much for the detailed information (and the illustration!). Based on your information, the source of the cutouts is likely the wireless communication between local units, particularly if cutouts were occurring when playing from an iPod Dock (which is local only).

The diagnostics sent do indicate that your wired Sonos component has a very weak signal to the rest of your system. It makes a wireless connection to one device, and then the mesh network is formed further off of that particular device.

We can perform a simple test by moving one of your DOCKs temporarily in order to bridge this wireless gap. Please take one of the docks and move it close to the wired Sonos component. This will act as a wireless BRIDGE between your wired unit and your other devices. Once moved, test some music playback and see if the dropouts still occur.

If you'd like, you can check a readout of the signal strengths between your Sonos units locally. This is found at http://<IP Address of a Sonos Player>:1400/support/review. Click on Network Matrix to see the signal strengths between all units. They range from 00 to 63. Sonos will usually drop or experience problems if it goes below 20.

Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Same issue here with my brand new play 3. Playing songs from my iPhone library playlist. Within about 30 seconds, the system advances to the next song. This is quite an expensive speaker to have such an obvious and common glitch.
Hi Kelly, is your phone far away from the router when this happens? I'd suggest playing some music with the phone right nearby the router (for maximum signal strength) and see if the skips still occur.

Let me know what the results are and we can continue from there.

Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi Kelly, is your phone far away from the router when this happens? I'd suggest playing some music with the phone right nearby the router (for maximum signal strength) and see if the skips still occur.

Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
And I too am having this problem with my new Play 1 - songs will simply stop in the middle, and if there's no other song queued up it goes silent, otherwise it jumps to the next track.

I control the Play 1 almost exclusively with my iPhone 5s as the controller, though I have the app on several other devices, including a MacBook Pro, a late-2009 iMac - both running OS X Mavericks - an older iPhone 4, and an iPad 3, all iDevices on iOS 7.0.4. I've had the problem playing music from the phone's library and from Spotify. I haven't noticed the issue with Pandora or the Sonos streaming radio services, at least so far. This just happened about 5 minutes ago, and I submitted a diagnostic report, #3330620.

I am testing it with music from my physical iTunes library upstairs controlled from my laptop now, though I suspect the source of control is not the problem, unless another live application is issuing some conflicting command on its own. If I experience another issue in this format, I will submit another diagnostic.

I have to say, I LOVE the Sonos technology and the freedom it gives, especially in the space we are in, which can't easily be wired for sound. I want to consider purchasing several more Sonos components for other areas of the house, but if this is a persistent issue, I will have to think again. Please reassure me that this is an issue being addressed, and that it will be corrected soon in an update.

Thank you,
Matt L.

Great to hear Matthew, enjoy your music!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Thank you,
Matt L.

Great to hear Matthew, enjoy your music!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I too, am having the same issue with my husband's iPhone and all components of our Sonos system (we have multiple Playbars, Play 3s, and Play 5s.   Doesn't seem to matter what room, but whenever he plays from his iTunes library it plays 75% of the song and then skips to the next.  I submitted diagnostic reports from my PC (3353568) and his iPhone (3353579)

Hi Pamela,

Are you able to play from other music sources (like Internet Radio) without encountering any drops or skips? I'd like to find out if the problem lies exclusively with the iPhone.

The diagnostic shows that communication between your Sonos units is looking good. There are some instances where some information was dropped, but I'm not yet convinced that this alone would cause the behavior you're seeing with the iPhone's playback.

Thanks.
Why, pray tell, would the music automatically skip (jump) imwdiately to the next track. My system does this and I gave up your ad-hoc attempts to resolve the issue, because believe it or not, I have a real live job that doesnt involve trouble shooting my really expensive soundsystem. So riddle me that Ryan. If my phone is far away, and the system jumps immediately to the next track (indicating that it is recieving adequate data to play a continuous stream of music), why would the software not just play the desired track. insttead of playing the rest of the desired track??? It seems rediculous that I have to point out this design flaw. For the love of God, why dont you just fix it?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Thanks Alun

Hi Alun, thank you for the diagnostic report.

This does indeed look to be signal related. Right now, your PLAY:1 has decent signal strength and is not experiencing any wireless interference. However, the BRIDGE is experiencing a heavy amount of wireless interference. Since you've already changed channels, this may be related to the positioning of the BRIDGE itself. If it's sitting on top of the router or immediately next to it, you may want to give it some more room (one or two feet farther). Otherwise, it could be due to another wireless device in the room, something like a cordless phone base station, baby monitor, etc.

You can try changing to wireless channel six as well, just in case the interference is present on both channels one and six.

Thanks Alun

Thanks Ryan, my bridge is located in the same room as my wireless router, but is about 2 metres away from it.  Not sure if this would be an issue, I presume most people must plug them into their router and it would be nearby?  I will try putting it in another room and connecting it with a homeplug to my router.  Are there any other wireless devices that can cause issues?  I have a foscam wireless camera elsewhere in the house.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Thanks Alun

You're correct, most people plug the BRIDGE straight in to the router and there are minimal or no interference issues. For router proximity-based interference, it sometimes depends on the router model or the wireless channel the router is using, among other factors.

Does the wireless camera connect directly to the router via WiFi, or is there a bridge device plugged in to the router via Ethernet (similar to how Sonos works)? If the camera operates on 2.4Ghz wireless, it could certainly be causing some interference.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Mark, this behavior usually occurs when data is being lost between the phone and the router. If this only happens when the phone is far away from the router, then the distance is likely causing some information to be lost (packets dropping).

Of course, this can also occur if information is being dropped between local Sonos devices as well. If you send a diagnostic report number, I'd be more than happy to take a look at your system and make sure they're communicating properly so we can further narrow down the cause of the behavior.

Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Mark, this behavior usually occurs when data is being lost between the phone and the router. If this only happens when the phone is far away from the router, then the distance is likely causing some information to be lost (packets dropping).

Of course, this can also occur if information is being dropped between local Sonos devices as well. If you send a diagnostic report number, I'd be more than happy to take a look at your system and make sure they're communicating properly so we can further narrow down the cause of the behavior.

Thanks.

BR,

-- 
Jakob

No, thank _you_! These days it is very seldom to meet support reps that do a good and thorough job - and who manage to inform the end user just at the right technical level. You do! I used a spare ZP80 in "repeater mode" and placed it in the gap between the wired and the other wireless ZP's. Problem solved - and the http://xx:1400/support/review URL is fantastic for future troubleshooting. As I am very well aware of how performance can be rated in IT support organisations, I'd like to provide some customer feedback regarding your excellent support. Please let me know how I can contact the right Sonos responsible in a formal way to praise your efforts. E-mail, phone - or an old-fashioned mail address will do... Thanks again - -- Jakob
Ryan, that's exactly my point. If I have a playlist comprising tracks A and B, why would the SONOS application software on my phone be collecting data packets for track B when the data packets for track A have not been 100% recieved??? Secondly, my SONOS hub and my wireless router are right next to each other. If I order SONOS to play a track with my phone, the unless the SONOS hub recieves a command from my phone telling it to skip to the next track (or another command like change the volume), it should assume that the entire track that was initially ordered is to be played at the original volume. It should only start recieving packets for the next song (track 😎 if and only if it recieves confirmation that track A was fully obtained. Bottom line: Poor communication from my phone should not be making the hub assume I want to skip to the next track. It should assume the original track ordered is to be played in its entirety.
For some reason I can't find my original comment but Ryan wrote me the following and I wanted to respond: Hi Kelly, is your phone far away from the router when this happens? I'd suggest playing some music with the phone right nearby the router (for maximum signal strength) and see if the skips still occur.

Results: So we have two routers in our house, I have tried this using both routers and get the same behavior (although I admit it isn't as consistent connected to the main one, may make the whole way through the song, half way through the song or almost to the end of the song before skipping.  Usually my phone is in the kitchen and the wi-fi extender router is in the next room at the edge.  I've tried doing it from that room right next to it as you suggested, same issue.  My husband's Android phone has no issues playing songs from his phone. My kids iPod touch's have no issues playing songs from their devices.  It's only my iPhone 5 that has issues playing music directly from my phone (no issues playing from our hard drive).  When we first got the sonos system in December I had no issues, I feel there must have been a update to the app, or maybe an iPhone update that changed this cause I can't think of anything else.  
Userlevel 3
For some reason I can't find my original comment but Ryan wrote me the following and I wanted to respond: Hi Kelly, is your phone far away from the router when this happens? I'd suggest playing some music with the phone right nearby the router (for maximum signal strength) and see if the skips still occur.

Results: So we have two routers in our house, I have tried this using both routers and get the same behavior (although I admit it isn't as consistent connected to the main one, may make the whole way through the song, half way through the song or almost to the end of the song before skipping.  Usually my phone is in the kitchen and the wi-fi extender router is in the next room at the edge.  I've tried doing it from that room right next to it as you suggested, same issue.  My husband's Android phone has no issues playing songs from his phone. My kids iPod touch's have no issues playing songs from their devices.  It's only my iPhone 5 that has issues playing music directly from my phone (no issues playing from our hard drive).  When we first got the sonos system in December I had no issues, I feel there must have been a update to the app, or maybe an iPhone update that changed this cause I can't think of anything else.  

Maybe your phone is connecting to the router when you're playing music from your phone? Try forgetting the other network and just use the network the sonos is using.
Also having the same problem.  No issues with my connection.  Only occurs when I try to play my itunes library from my macbook.  No issues when playing from my phone.  Just sent in the diagnostics: 3367105.
Also having the same problem.  No issues with my connection.  Only occurs when I try to play my itunes library from my macbook.  No issues when playing from my phone.  Just sent in the diagnostics: 3367105.  And again.  3367130
Badge
I too am experiencing music cutting out and tracks skipping before completion on both my music library (stored on s Firewire Drobo connected to a FW800 port on an ethernet connected MacMini).  Music also cuts out from two Line-In sources (Satellite receivers connected to the line in of two different zone players), Tune-In Radio, And SiriusXM also cut out without warning for no reason. I Have a Play5 (root bridge) connected directly via ethernet to my Apple Time Capsule router, and a few other Zones (ZP80's, ZP90) that are connected via ethernet to switches). With a Playbar, Subwoofer, two newer remotes, two older remotes, all told a total of 14 zones, I'm experiencing music cutouts from the line in source on my router-connected Play 5. Music even cuts out on the Play 5 itself (how can that be?) 
I am a die-hard Sonos user since inception, and I've never seen such issues before as I have these past couple months. I changed to a newer Apple 802.11AC router, changed the wireless channel multiple times, changed the root zone, moved zones, wired previously wireless zones, etc, to no avail. Zones disappear randomly and don't re-appear till I unplug and re-plug to the point I'm assigning and reserving IP addresses for the affected wireless zones. I'm at wits end. I've invested over $6k on this system and I'm not happy, especially since I spent $2k this past Fall for a Playbar, subwoofer, and two Play 1's.
My diagnostic confirmation number is 3372332.