Music cuts out/jumps to next tracks

Show first post

238 replies

Having the exact same Problem. The system was stable up to several weeks ago. Songs skip on paid lastfm and deezer accounts. System reset, moving components, new ethernet cable, changing channels. Did it all as suggested in different threads, still to no avail. Streaming radio via tunein doesn't stall or skip interestingly. Its a shame, cause sonos is a great system! Any ideas? Diagnostics number: 3217853.
Hi - I have just bought a play:3 and bridge. I am having the same problem as others....music randomly stops and sometimes skips tracks. Love the system but this is really annoying! Please help
Hi - I have just bought a play:3 and bridge. I am having the same problem as others....music randomly stops and sometimes skips tracks. Love the system but this is really annoying! Please help
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hello, I'd be glad to help out.

What music source are you playing from when the music stops or skips tracks? Does this happen on more than one music source or just one in particular? I'd like to take a look at a diagnostic from your system as well. Please follow the instructions here right after a cutout occurs, then let me know what the confirmation number is.

Thanks.
I'm having the same issue, mostly when using playbar via TV. It cuts out for a few seconds, happens several times during a 30 min show. Diagnostics submitted under 3239260.

Hope you can help remedy, I'm holding off buying any additional zones until I can ensure this isn't going to continue.

Thanks,
James
Hi.

This is happening from both PC music stream and iphone or ipad music streaming.  It does not seem to happen streaming the radio.

There are two diagnostic references 3244160 and 3244180.  In both cases the music tracks ran into each other ie last one was still finishing when the next one started and then a track stopped in the middle of the song.  With the latter one the musing cut in and out a bit before stopping mid track.

Let me know what I can do to fix.

Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Thanks for the update and the diagnostic reports. I'm not showing any information lost between the Sonos units via their own wireless network, but they are showing errors when the dropouts occur. One thing that your sources have in common is that they are streaming over your home WiFi network before they reach Sonos. The source you mention that isn't skipping (radio) does not stream in quite the same way.

Would it be possible to temporarily wire the PC to your router or to a Sonos component via Ethernet, then turn its wireless off? I'd like to see if Sonos still skips when streaming your local content via Ethernet only.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I'm having the same issue, mostly when using playbar via TV. It cuts out for a few seconds, happens several times during a 30 min show. Diagnostics submitted under 3239260.

Hope you can help remedy, I'm holding off buying any additional zones until I can ensure this isn't going to continue.

Thanks,
James

Hi there,

Thank you for the diagnostic. The reports indicate that the PLAYBAR is having some trouble with its optical connection to the TV. I'd recommend checking to make sure the cable is inserted firmly and fully on both ends. Also check to make sure there aren't any sharp bends in the cable that may be hindering the optical signal. If you have a spare optical cable, I'd recommend swapping it out for the current one for testing purposes.

Can you also let me know what the make and model of your television is?

Thanks.
I am having an issue with my Playbar.  When I stream music (Tunein, mp3 from iPhone/Android/, or other services) - it cuts out within a few seconds.

The Playbar is in the same room as 2 Play3 speakers (used as surround).  When I make the Play3 a separate zone...music streams perfectly.

I have tried moving the wireless bridge to new rooms and even to the same room as the speakers (with long Cat 5 cable).

I have DECT 5 cordless phones, moved Wifi router to channel 1 and Sonos to channel 11.... still no luck

The diagnostic number is 3266644

This is a new unit so the playbar has always had the issue.  We have even exchanged it.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I am having an issue with my Playbar.  When I stream music (Tunein, mp3 from iPhone/Android/, or other services) - it cuts out within a few seconds.

The Playbar is in the same room as 2 Play3 speakers (used as surround).  When I make the Play3 a separate zone...music streams perfectly.

I have tried moving the wireless bridge to new rooms and even to the same room as the speakers (with long Cat 5 cable).

I have DECT 5 cordless phones, moved Wifi router to channel 1 and Sonos to channel 11.... still no luck

This is a new unit so the playbar has always had the issue.  We have even exchanged it.

Hi Ryan, thanks for the diagnostic report.

The PLAYBAR itself seems okay, it has good signal strength to the wired BRIDGE. The BRIDGE itself, though, does seem to be experiencing a heavy amount of wireless interference, which could definitely cause those cutouts. You mentioned changing the channel to 11. Have you tried channel 6 as well? You also stated that you've moved the wired BRIDGE to different rooms, so this may not be necessary, but I'd also make sure that the BRIDGE is not sitting too close to other nearby wireless devices like your DECT phone base station or your router. The interference is only having an effect on the BRIDGE, so there may be a source of the interference local to the BRIDGE's environment.

Give channel 6 a try and submit one more diagnostic and I'll see if there's any difference in the interference levels.

Thanks.
Has everyone's drop out problem been fixed or is it still happening? This is happening to me too & I would like to know if their is something I can do too stop this problem.....
Has everyone's drop out problem been fixed or is it still happening? This is happening to me too &
Mine was resolved after I replaced the optical cable. Working well since then.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Has everyone's drop out problem been fixed or is it still happening? This is happening to me too &
Which of your Sonos components is experiencing the dropouts? Audio cutouts can happen for a few different reasons, but I'd be happy to help narrow down what's going on. Please grab a diagnostic report from the system and let me know what the confirmation number is and I can take a closer look.

Thanks.
Same issue here with my brand new play 3. Playing songs from my iPhone library playlist. Within about 30 seconds, the system advances to the next song. This is quite an expensive speaker to have such an obvious and common glitch.

Hi Ryan E

I think I figured out the issue with respect to music cutting out suddenly.  The issue is isolated to the play bar.  I now have 2 zones with playbar+2 play 3 in one and a play 1 in the other.

The play 3 (when separated from the play bar) or play 1 never have an issue... so it is the play bar.

Play bar has been replaced... and I get awesome wifi signal (newest apple router and checked the settings).

Long story short I figured out the issue.  The play bar is hooked to a cable box via optical directly (not out from the TV as the TV optical out is only 2.0 not surround).  However it seems the play bar gets a signal every once a while from the cable box and tunes to the TV (had the play bar set to automatically detect TV).

Once I removed auto detect of tv in playbar settings... all was good.  Maybe a common issue for others and something to add to your trouble shooting.
And I too am having this problem with my new Play 1 - songs will simply stop in the middle, and if there's no other song queued up it goes silent, otherwise it jumps to the next track.

I control the Play 1 almost exclusively with my iPhone 5s as the controller, though I have the app on several other devices, including a MacBook Pro, a late-2009 iMac - both running OS X Mavericks - an older iPhone 4, and an iPad 3, all iDevices on iOS 7.0.4. I've had the problem playing music from the phone's library and from Spotify. I haven't noticed the issue with Pandora or the Sonos streaming radio services, at least so far. This just happened about 5 minutes ago, and I submitted a diagnostic report, #3330620.

I am testing it with music from my physical iTunes library upstairs controlled from my laptop now, though I suspect the source of control is not the problem, unless another live application is issuing some conflicting command on its own. If I experience another issue in this format, I will submit another diagnostic.

I have to say, I LOVE the Sonos technology and the freedom it gives, especially in the space we are in, which can't easily be wired for sound. I want to consider purchasing several more Sonos components for other areas of the house, but if this is a persistent issue, I will have to think again. Please reassure me that this is an issue being addressed, and that it will be corrected soon in an update.

Thank you,
Matt L.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Same issue here with my brand new play 3. Playing songs from my iPhone library playlist. Within about 30 seconds, the system advances to the next song. This is quite an expensive speaker to have such an obvious and common glitch.
Hi Steve,

How close is the iPhone to your router when this occurs? Skips like this can occur if there are any connection problems between the source (iPhone) and the rest of the network.

I'd also like to know if the PLAY:3 skips or cuts out when you're playing from any other sources, like Internet Radio.

Finally, please send a diagnostic report and let me know what the confirmation number is. Ideally, I'd like to see a report right after one of the cut outs occurs.

Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
And I too am having this problem with my new Play 1 - songs will simply stop in the middle, and if there's no other song queued up it goes silent, otherwise it jumps to the next track.

I control the Play 1 almost exclusively with my iPhone 5s as the controller, though I have the app on several other devices, including a MacBook Pro, a late-2009 iMac - both running OS X Mavericks - an older iPhone 4, and an iPad 3, all iDevices on iOS 7.0.4. I've had the problem playing music from the phone's library and from Spotify. I haven't noticed the issue with Pandora or the Sonos streaming radio services, at least so far. This just happened about 5 minutes ago, and I submitted a diagnostic report, #3330620.

I am testing it with music from my physical iTunes library upstairs controlled from my laptop now, though I suspect the source of control is not the problem, unless another live application is issuing some conflicting command on its own. If I experience another issue in this format, I will submit another diagnostic.

I have to say, I LOVE the Sonos technology and the freedom it gives, especially in the space we are in, which can't easily be wired for sound. I want to consider purchasing several more Sonos components for other areas of the house, but if this is a persistent issue, I will have to think again. Please reassure me that this is an issue being addressed, and that it will be corrected soon in an update.

Thank you,
Matt L.

Hi there Matt,

Thank you for the detailed description and the diagnostic report.

About nine minutes before the diagnostic report was sent, the wired BRIDGE started experiencing some severe wireless interference. This was not occurring with the PLAY:1 though, so the interference is local to the BRIDGE's location only. Interference this severe can cause communication problems between the BRIDGE and the PLAY:1 which will result in undesirable behavior like audio dropping out or skipping.

Is the BRIDGE sitting on top of or right next to the router? If so, please give it some distance to prevent the router's WiFi from interfering with the BRIDGE's wireless.

I'd also recommend changing the wireless channel on Sonos. Right now it's on channel 6, but you can change it to channels 1 or 11 by following the steps in this FAQ. Try channel 11 first and then play some music. If the skipping occurs, get another diagnostic report, then try channel 1 if necessary.

Let me know how the system performs after taking these steps.

Thanks.

Thank you,
Matt L.

Aha... The bridge is, indeed, sitting right on the Airport router. I will reposition it and do some testing, and if that doesn't do the trick I will try the channel switching as well. Thank for such thorough and direct feedback - very much appreciated!
I just started using the system tonight and have already had the problem twice (where music skips to the next track before a song ends). I submitted my diagnostics and the number is 3338378. Seems to be a very common problem from what I've seen online. Very frustrating one, as well.
Have been experiencing the same since upgrading to newest SW. Today I submitted a diagnostics report within minutes after it happened on one of my ZP120's: Confirmation number 3339932.

Setup: 2 ZP 90's (one acting as bridge), 2 ZP120's, 1 ZP80, a Play:3 and 5 WD100's. The only wired unit is the ZP90 acting as bridge.

I have experienced the issue across both ZP120's and ZP90's - and both when listening to streaming services (TDC Play) and directly from my NAS.

I wonder if Ryan is still monitoring this thread? I hope so...

BR,

-- 
Jakob
Hi there, I too am having this proble, songs cutting out during playback and skipping to the next track.... I use an Iomega Netwrok drive plugged into my router, could this be the issue.... I will submit a diagnostic and if someone could look at it I would be grateful.... 
Diagnostic submission number is: 3342944

Many thanks
Craig
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I just started using the system tonight and have already had the problem twice (where music skips to the next track before a song ends). I submitted my diagnostics and the number is 3338378. Seems to be a very common problem from what I've seen online. Very frustrating one, as well.
Hi Brian, it looks like Sonos is having trouble maintaining a connection with the MacBook Pro that's hosting your music. The MacBook also appears to be connecting to the router via WiFi. Try wiring the MacBook either to the router or to Sonos (any unit) using an Ethernet cable and disabling WiFi. This will provide a stable connection to Sonos for the purposes of playing the music stored on the computer. I'd like to know if the skips continue when Sonos is playing the music from a wired source rather than wireless.

Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi Brian, it looks like Sonos is having trouble maintaining a connection with the MacBook Pro that's hosting your music. The MacBook also appears to be connecting to the router via WiFi. Try wiring the MacBook either to the router or to Sonos (any unit) using an Ethernet cable and disabling WiFi. This will provide a stable connection to Sonos for the purposes of playing the music stored on the computer. I'd like to know if the skips continue when Sonos is playing the music from a wired source rather than wireless.

Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Have been experiencing the same since upgrading to newest SW. Today I submitted a diagnostics report within minutes after it happened on one of my ZP120's: Confirmation number 3339932.

Setup: 2 ZP 90's (one acting as bridge), 2 ZP120's, 1 ZP80, a Play:3 and 5 WD100's. The only wired unit is the ZP90 acting as bridge.

I have experienced the issue across both ZP120's and ZP90's - and both when listening to streaming services (TDC Play) and directly from my NAS.

I wonder if Ryan is still monitoring this thread? I hope so...

BR,

-- 
Jakob

Hi there Jakob,

Thank you for the diagnostic report. All of your Sonos units appear to be communicating properly via wireless. I'd like to get a better idea of how the network is laid out before continuing though. It looks like the wired ZP90 is wired to a (managed?) switch and the router is a SonicWall. Would you mind letting me know the model numbers for both of these and going over how they're wired?

Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi there, I too am having this proble, songs cutting out during playback and skipping to the next track.... I use an Iomega Netwrok drive plugged into my router, could this be the issue.... I will submit a diagnostic and if someone could look at it I would be grateful.... 
Diagnostic submission number is: 3342944

Many thanks
Craig

Hi there Craig,

Thank you for the diagnostic report. Your system is looking good in terms of wireless communication and I'm not seeing any dropped information. Do the dropouts you experience only occur when playing from the NAS drive or do they happen with other sources as well?

If it's the NAS drive only, try temporarily wiring the NAS in to the other Ethernet port on the back of your BRIDGE. The NAS will still be able to access all devices on the network, but will have a more direct connection with Sonos. Let me know if behavior improves after making this change.

Thanks.