Music cuts out/jumps to next tracks

Show first post

238 replies

Same thing happening to me with songs cutting off and skipping to next song. I may have identified it as when my iphone sleeps, but this was never an issue in the past, just recently. I don't want to stop my iphone from sleeping or I'll never have any battery life. I submitted a report #1739780955
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi, cdd853. There is currently an ongoing issue with streaming from iOS devices. The suggested workaround, as you say, is to turn off the autolockscreen functionality. We hope to resolve this through other means soon.
Case #: 00223178. The annoying fact that the music cuts short when playing tracks on own devices persists, really needs a fix urgently. I have my own tracks cut short 2/3 into the song (depending on song lenght) even when lock screen disabled. This happens when playing Sonos from any device, iPhone, iPad, MAC. Playbar now connected by ethernet cable, but it still happens. As with most others, it does not happen when playing streaming services. The story is that we are forced to pay for streaming services as we cannot play own music, which we have paid for owning!!!.
Hi I am a novice at dealing with this. As I can see many people have had this issue and have been directed to send a diagnostic report.
Could I ask have Sonos found out why this is happening?
Could you kindly place a solution on this forum? Or direct how I can solve the same issue.
’I play music from iPhones’ Stored library, when the screen is active, no problems playing the music one after another, if the screen locks then either songs skip or stops playing. I’ve isolated each sonos speaker and it happens on all of them (6-8mo ago I had no issue, so wonder if it’s an update issue). I am however able to play radio stations with out any problems. Don’t have streaming service so can’t test that’.

Really appreciate the assistance.
I'm having an issue similar to the OP. I have 4 Play 1's (not one) and 3 Connects. One Connect is wired to my router, the rest of the Sonos devices are wireless. I have no issues with internet audio sources (primarily Google Play Music). However, when I play from my local Music Library the audio stutters and starts cutting in and out on various speakers. Once it stops doing that, it'll continue to play an entire album as expected. I've had intermittent issues with this when the queue finishes and I add more music. Occasionally the playback will skip to the next track or just start going through the queue with each subsequent song unplayable. This only happens when I'm playing from my local Music Library and always happens when I begin to play music from that library. I suspect my wired Connect may not be set as the root device (having read other posts and having switched from a Bridge a while ago). I am no longer using a Bridge. My local music is stored on a Drobo 5N. Router, ethernet cables, etc. are all gigabit. I'd appreciate an email with troubleshooting steps.
They're unlikely to send an email, that's just not the way that Sonos tends to work.

Your symptoms are indeed odd. Basically, you've ruled out both wifi interference and a potential duplicate IP address issues by the fact that you've got no problems when streaming Google Play Music. And removing the BRIDGE makes sense, although I replaced mine with a BOOST, rather than a CONNECT.

Why so many CONNECTs? Do you have that many inputs to your Sonos system?

Which raises some potential other questions in the network. Is there any possibility that your Drobo 5N is sleeping occasionally? I've never owned one myself, but there are some NAS devices that allow sleep to cut in when it perceives it's not in use. It would seem odd for it to sleep when it's playing a stream, but it's at least worth checking.

If you're interested in engaging with Sonos support, rather than the Sonos community moderators, I'd recommend that you contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

They'll probably want to look at a system diagnostic of your system, it may be worth running one before you contact them, and writing down the resulting number to give to them.
They're unlikely to send an email, that's just not the way that Sonos tends to work.

Your symptoms are indeed odd. Basically, you've ruled out both wifi interference and a potential duplicate IP address issues by the fact that you've got no problems when streaming Google Play Music. And removing the BRIDGE makes sense, although I replaced mine with a BOOST, rather than a CONNECT.

Why so many CONNECTs? Do you have that many inputs to your Sonos system?

Which raises some potential other questions in the network. Is there any possibility that your Drobo 5N is sleeping occasionally? I've never owned one myself, but there are some NAS devices that allow sleep to cut in when it perceives it's not in use. It would seem odd for it to sleep when it's playing a stream, but it's at least worth checking.

If you're interested in engaging with Sonos support, rather than the Sonos community moderators, I'd recommend that you contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

They'll probably want to look at a system diagnostic of your system, it may be worth running one before you contact them, and writing down the resulting number to give to them.

Thanks Bruce. Lots of questions. I went to support on the Sonos page and was greeted by something to the affect of "why don't you ask the community", and a seemingly appropriate thread (this one) existed.

Why so many Connects? I like to use the Connect as a source for a number of stereo systems. Most are Connect > preamp > DAC > amp > stereo speakers. I do use 2 Connects as preamps and just have a signal sensing amplifier and speakers. Why not a Sonos Amp, because for the additional $150 I'd rather have a signal sensing Class A/B amp with more wattage than the Sonos Amp's Class D (or whatever), digital amplifier. Personal preference is to separate these components out, so that I can change things around at will.

I actually don't use any of the line level inputs on the Connects. I'm tempted by one particular use case, but I need a really good reason to put a Connect in the signal chain for my analog sources. Spreading music around the house is one use case, but if I'm listening to my turntable - I'm listening to my turntable. It'd be nice for others, but I only need one system to listen to that on.

Is there any possibility that your Drobo 5N is sleeping occasionally? A couple things make me think no. I have no issues with audio or video playback using a PC. Only with Sonos. It also happens every time I replace the queue with a new album. It doesn't seem likely that the Drobo would sleep, or go into some other mode, within seconds. Every time, it starts the queue fresh from my Music Library there's approximately 18 seconds of the audio cutting out intermittently on separate systems (Play 1s and Connects). I thought it could be an indexing issue, but probably not as Sonos should do that when it scans my library. Isn't that basically the point?

Thanks for the advice on contacting Support. I'll have to wait till Friday. I forgot the main reason I went with Sonos...the fact that I don't have to provide my own support. Hopefully that's the case. I already ran a diagnostic after causing the issue to occur twice and have the number. It's totally repeatable, which is why I've been able to do the troubleshooting that I have.

Thanks again!
Hey, thanks for the extra information. Always fascinating to see what other things people are doing with their Sonos, since mine is a fairly standard setup.

The sleep on the Drobo was an outside shot at best. Generally speaking, I'd not expect any NAS to "sleep" at all.

One final warning. Make sure you have the numbers of those diagnostics when you end up talking to the folks at Sonos. It'll speed things up, I suspect. If they have to go backwards from your account name to your email address, and then search for the numbers, and finally bring the diagnostic report up by the number, it would likely be a much longer "please wait" process. Giving them the number directly would cut several searches out of that process.

Good luck! And when you get an answer, I'd be fascinated if you posted what it is here. I'm always up for learning something new, and perhaps your situation will help someone else in the future.
Thanks. I'll post the resolution, when that happens. I ended up emailing support and included my Diagnostic Number from a screenshot I took.

I set up my iTunes library on a WD MyCloud Ultra Ex2 using Sandisk 1TB SSDs.  I was able to access my iTunes music library and playlists on my Play:1 and One speakers.   Like others, some songs are randomly truncating, then moving on to the next track.  There is no pattern to how this is acting.

Are there any recommended settings to minimize this?

Thx

Songs truncating or moving on to the next track isn’t associated with where you’ve stored the music. It’s a reflection, in the majority of cases, of an issue with your speakers maintaining a connection to your LAN.

In the majority of cases, it’s wifi interference. However, frequently after a software update, duplicate IP address issues can be more prevalent. You can try unplugging your Sonos devices, the rebooting your router. Once the router comes back up, plug the Sonos devices back in, wait a couple of minutes, then test.

Songs truncating or moving on to the next track isn’t associated with where you’ve stored the music. It’s a reflection, in the majority of cases, of an issue with your speakers maintaining a connection to your LAN.

In the majority of cases, it’s wifi interference. However, frequently after a software update, duplicate IP address issues can be more prevalent. You can try unplugging your Sonos devices, the rebooting your router. Once the router comes back up, plug the Sonos devices back in, wait a couple of minutes, then test.

Thx.  I do have a couple different wifi options.  I’ll try a different source.  I also have a LAN connection next to one of the speakers.  I’ll try plugging in there and playing music solo. That will eliminate and wifi lag.

It’s not WiFi lag you’re experiencing, it’s the speakers disconnecting from your LAN, I think. And if it is the duplicate IP address issue, connecting it with a cable won’t change anything at all. It will still be using the same duplicate IP address handed to it by your router.