Music Added to running queue ignored

Badge

Hi all,

apologies in advance for the length of the post, just want to cover all I can to save on questions.

I have looked over the forums and troubleshooting but can find a solution other than the usual “blame the users network” as the cause of the issue I will try and describe below. I am biased as I am a networker by trade but the answer of network fault makes no sense and I hope to explain why.

Only in the last month or so when I add a song to a queue, that is already running, it misses any addition and continues on to the next song. If it was a network / connectivity issue it would do this to most if not all songs not just the ones I add to the list, the songs in the original queue don’t ever skip or fail to be played. This happens with different playlist queues and created for you playlists from Spotify, so random songs and queues from day to day but issue is consistent. In addition there are no error messages displayed, simply song added to queue shows when the song is dropped into the queue.

I have tested this on a paired set of Symfonisk Sonos/ikea lamps , with and without a Move also in the mix and have also experimented with my living room setup of a playbar, sub and 2 play 1’s, same issue every time. 

While they are all wirelessly connected and grouped separately and the lamps /move are in the dinning room / conservatory I have an additional WAP with EOP providing the data feed and the this WAP is no more than 10 meters from any of the kit. My living room setup runs from my main Wifi router and is again under 10 meters from the router. WIFI signal is excellent and I have no issues streaming services, making video calls etc from these rooms, so as we say in my office, NTFN ( not the network, expletive deleted)

I have been through the obvious reboot of kit , as I said above no issues with any streaming other than the missing of newly added songs to the queue, all music is being streamed from Spotify and the Spotify App does not have the same problem, I can connect to my Sonos kit via the Spotify App, play a queue, add a song and it plays in sequence. So looks very much like an issue with the Sonos App.

If anyone else has had or having this issue and has a solution, other than use the Spotify App, I'd appreciate the feed back.

thanks for listening.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

7) Enable UPNP

No, No, NO. I’m appalled that Sonos Support are still parroting this line as part of their standard boiler-plate advice. Gateway UPnP in a router has nothing to do with Sonos, and introduces a notorious point of network vulnerability. 

Returning to your issue, if a newly added ‘next’ track is throwing an error it’s almost certainly a network bandwidth issue. The track has to buffer in a hurry, to get going, and is probably running into packet loss problems when the stream chokes.

Same problem here, also with Spotify.

Add to queue next, will get skipped.
Add to end of queue and then move up to next, will get skipped.
Add two songs to queue next, the first one i skipped, the second is played.

If i go into queue and play the just skipped song, it will instantly play, no problem.

All my internet and network gear has been replaced for other reasons, i have loads of bandwidth, but this problem in Sonos has shown no change.
The skipped song can have 3 minutes or more to buffer while the already playing song finishes. It is still skipped. Hardly a problem with having to instantly buffer a song.

It seems to me, like a common denominator is Spotify.
Does anyone experience this with other streaming services?

Is the Spotify integration into Sonos, a Sonos issue or a Spotify issue?

I would be very interested in hearing, if someone has tried Spotify support?
Or if other streaming services also skips when you "add to queue as next"?
My Google-foo is coming up short.

Another thought:
When Move was new, there was a lot of problems with speaker groupings having to rebuffer and the likes of that.
It has gotten better, but i am somewhat unimpressed with the networking abilities of the Move.
I saw Move mentioned further up in the thread. Is this maybe a common denominator?

Regards Niels

@ntorlund 
I don’t use Spotify other than their free service, but I did try the things you mention with Deezer and Amazon Music services in the Sonos App.

I grouped together these rooms:

• Sonos Move called ‘Moveable’ (Group controller)
  • Sonos Ones (gen1) paired, called ‘Utility’
  • Sonos Ones (gen2) paired, called ‘Patio’

Then played a playlist and inserted a track into the queue using the ‘play next’ context menu option.

It all worked fine here..

One example from Amazon Music was I played a curated playlist called ‘All Hits U.K.’ and inserted (play next) a track called “Love (Sweet Love)” by Little Mix and it played it with no issues. Screenshot attached but this was just one of serveral examples I tried from both Music Services. So unless it’s a Spotify issue then I’m not seeing the issue you mention here. Hope that assists.

I'm seeing the same behaviour using the Spotify service through Sonos. Songs added with Play Next are skipped.

Selecting the song from the queue immediately after it has been skipped makes it play just fine.