Multiple wired zones causes router to fall over?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Thanks I'll give that a try during the coming week 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
I tried using a switch to feed two sonos devices, wired from one port on the SH3. It still caused the same network issues. I'm not technical so can't give a detailed analysis of what happened, but the phrase "Network Storm" seems to fit better than "Blocked STP". The whole network became slow, internet access for other devices was painful and often timed out, Sonos devices stopped playing music and disappeared from the Sonos apps. It was as if communication was being carried out through treacle rather than cables - it was very slow and often didn't make it.

I am still using one of the switches I tried for other devices and with only one Sonos device wired (either through the switch or direct to the SH3) I have no problems.
the phrase "Network Storm" seems to fit better than "Blocked STP""Blocked STP" causes undetected loops, resulting in "Network Storm".

If the problem recurred when wiring multiple Sonos units across a switch, the switch is the culprit.
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
Thanks for the clarification, Ratty. Good to know I haven't tried the right switch yet.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Something I noticed today in the router settings. It lists my Sonos ZP units as all being connected by ethernet even though only one of them is connected via ethernet. Is this usual?
Not unusual. The router sees them as wired because the first one is wired, and since it knows nothing about Sonosnet, all the others appear as wired also.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Not unusual. The router sees them as wired because the first one is wired, and since it knows nothing about Sonosnet, all the others appear as wired also.

Excellent. Thanks very much for the reply.