Answered

multiple speakers dropped out and wont reconnect

• 14 June 2021
  • 5 replies

Hey a few weeks ago 3 speakers (out of my 7 speaker system) went missing from the app. I’ve tried reconnecting them multiple ways including “find missing product” and also rebooting them and trying to connect them as new devices. They missing devices are the older ones in the network, a play 5, play 3 and play 1. Others in the network are two Ones, a playbar and sub, and a turntable connected. When trying to add them back in, it tells me it can’t find them. If I go down the path of connecting them via a temp sonos network then connect to wifi it tells me my wifi password is wrong (it’s not). I’ve tried plugging in with a LAN cable too it still won’t work. Suspicious all 3 devices stopped working the same day. Pretty expensive paperweights! I’m still on S1 because of the 5 and connect used for the turntable.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 16 June 2021, 13:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hi.  A few questions:

1. Do you have an existing Sonos device that is working, and is not part of a Sonos home theatre system? 
  2. Do you have any of your Sonos devices connected by cable, or is everything wireless?
  3. You say that you tried “rebooting them and trying to connect them as new devices”.  You would only be able to connect them as new devices if you factory reset them, not rebooted them.  Did you factory reset them?  If you didn’t factory reset them, please do NOT do so.

Hey John, yes I have two Ones in rooms other than the lounge with tv and playbar/bass. Both are working fine.

None of the devices are hardwired to the modem.

unfortunately I have tried the factory reset as it was recommended on the sonos help site. By this I’m referring to unplugging, holding down the play button and then plugging back in. This was only after the previous attempt at finding the missing product. I may have only done this with one of the 3 missing devices though, come to think of it 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @gillrobert81 

Thanks for your post!

I recommend you reboot your network - your router, and anything else that may transmit WiFi, by switching them off for at least 30 seconds.

Any speakers that flash green about 1 minute after you give them power will need to be added back on to the system. Settings » System » Add Product. If you encounter any problems, please connect a working Sonos device to your router with an ethernet cable to see if it helps matters.

You will not need to tell your Sonos system your WiFi credentials - the wrong password report you got from the app was probably due to some network configuration being needed (not the password).

Finally, I notice you have (or had) a Bridge which needs to be wired to the network. If this unit has failed (or is off), then the system would fall back to using your WiFi, which may explain the issues you’re seeing. Either keep a different Sonos unit (not a Sub) wired to the network permanently, or get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to help you configure your network or Sonos system.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, seems to have fixed it. Is there anything in particular that causes them to drop out like this and have to reset the whole system?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @gillrobert81 

Glad to hear it!

With 1 unit, it’s networking issues 99% of the time. With 3 units doing the same, it’s networking issues 100% of the time. I can’t tell you exactly what the issue is without getting full details of your network, but if you call our technical support team, they will do all they can to help.

Unsupported WiFi extenders and wireless interference are common causes.