Multiple networks - some Sonos products work & others don't

• 20 March 2017
  • 2 replies

I used to have a working Sonos environment in multiple rooms around my house. I have two networks due to the shape of the house - the one provided by my BB supplier, using their router, and the other is an Airport Extreme connected to a powerline adapter, spawning off the main router. See diagram attached.

I changed BB provider and the new supplier gave me a new router to work on the same line, with a different name. To all extents and purposes, there shouldn't be any difference other than the name. The speed is the same.

On the first network (connection to the main router), I have a home cinema setup of a Playbar, Sub, 2 x Play 1 and a Bridge. This used to work before the change. Now, when I turn on the TV, I still get all the sound from the system, the Sonos app fails to pick it up and I can't change the volume etc

On the second network (connection to a wireless router on the end of a powerline adapter) everything works fine. I connect the app on my phone with no issues and I can stream audio from multiple sources to my devices - located in different rooms. I can even see the devices that are supposed to be connected to the main network on the app when I'm on the other wireless device.

I have restarted the main router a number of times, deleted the app and reinstalled it, unplugged all the devices connected to the main router and attempted to set them up again.

I cannot get the app to connect to the devices when connected to the main network.

Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

So, is the router on each of your networks acting as a DNS server? The speed of the new router or of your new internet service isn't really relevant here.

Are the devices in network 1 all connected via WiFi?

Do your two wireless networks have the same SSID network names or different ones?

When you're trying to control the TV in your main room, are you sure that your phone is connected to the right network?

Do you have any other devices that you use the Sonos controller on? If so, do you get the same results? If you have a laptop, what happens if you plug it into your router with an Ethernet cable?

Try unplugging the airport that powers your second network and controlling the Sonos on the first network. That'll be a good first diagnosis step.
So, is the router on each of your networks acting as a DNS server?

>>> i assume so but don't know for sure

The speed of the new router or of your new internet service isn't really relevant here.

Are the devices in network 1 all connected via WiFi?

>>> yes

Do your two wireless networks have the same SSID network names or different ones?

>>> different

When you're trying to control the TV in your main room, are you sure that your phone is connected to the right network?

>>> yes. actually, where the TV is located I can only see the main network, which doesn't allow me to connect via the Sonos app

Do you have any other devices that you use the Sonos controller on? If so, do you get the same results? If you have a laptop, what happens if you plug it into your router with an Ethernet cable?

>>> haven't tried this but will do so

Try unplugging the airport that powers your second network and controlling the Sonos on the first network. That'll be a good first diagnosis step.

>>> will give it a try. thanks