Answered

Multiple App Versions, Different System Config Showing

• 21 June 2021
  • 4 replies

Having multiple issues with 5 x Ikea Sympfonisk SONOS speakers in my retail shop. 

We have: 

• rebooted each speaker, router and PC,
  • assigned permanent IP’s,
  • tried to set up via Sonos net with a LAN connected speaker to router,  
  • reset the controller, 
  • reauthorised Spotify     

Multiple times. 

Our internet speed averages over 20GB down, but often Sonos Controller isn’t able to pull music from Spotify, and the whole thing just stops. 

My iOS app also keeps trying to check if I’ve got the most recent update, and often hangs in this process. 

This all started after recently updating the Sonos Controller app (PC). Prior to this and in over 2 months operation it has been a dream and done exactly what it said on the tin.    

I have had to permanently remove high mounted speakers from the wall and connect them to points on the ground where they are accessible to avoid my team having to drag a ladder out to reset these during trade.    

As a small business owner, I simply do not have the time to spend trying to fix this every other day. 

I’ve tried to seek help via Sonos directly to submit a diagnostic, but keep getting told there are no chat agents available. 

Appreciate any help/ideas short of sending the whole pazlooza back to Ikea and hardwiring in ceiling speakers old school style. 

icon

Best answer by Xander P 22 June 2021, 15:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Lots of questions left unanswered, which might help identify the issue your experiencing. 

What router are you using, is its firmware up to date?

Are you running any VPNs, or any particular virus protection programs?

Have you read the threads all over this forum in which Sonos has said they’re working with Spotify engineers trying to identify an issue specifically with Spotify, which is affecting some, but apparently not all users?

Have you submitted that diagnostic, since you can do so at will, it does not require chatting with an agent, especially as they don’t work weekends?  if you have, you might post the number here, it’s possible one of the forum moderators could look at it in their copious spare time.

Are you paying Spotify for a retail account, or are you using a ‘normal’ single user account which isn’t supposed to be used in a retail setting?

Is there one speaker or BOOST that is hard wired to your router, or do all of those devices hang off your WiFi? If the latter, is it 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

Are you using the S1 or S2 controller for setup, and on what device is it on? What OS is on that device? You’re aware the PC controller does not have the capability of adding new devices to your system, it can only ‘play’ existing speakers?

Have you made the unfortunate move of factory resetting any of your devices? If not, good, you shouldn’t.

What version of the software is running on the speakers? What version is running on your PC?

Can the PC controller ‘see’ all the speakers?

When the system ‘fails’, is there a specific error?

@Airgetlam (Bruce) Thanks for responding. 

While I appreciate your time taken, please understand that most end users aren’t as familiar with the Sonos universe as one with nearly 28K replies such as yourself so hence my inital post being light on the detail, and not submitting a diagnostic until asked to do so by Sonos engineers (per instructions in the app).   I purchased this system on the basis of it being simple to operate, and it was exactly that - until it wasn’t. 

What router are you using, is its firmware up to date?

Router is a Sagemcom FAST5366LTE-A.  Firmware up to date. 

Are you running any VPNs, or any particular virus protection programs?

No

Have you read the threads all over this forum in which Sonos has said they’re working with Spotify engineers trying to identify an issue specifically with Spotify, which is affecting some, but apparently not all users?   Not aware of these issues no. 

Have you submitted that diagnostic, since you can do so at will, it does not require chatting with an agent, especially as they don’t work weekends? It wasn’t a weekend where I am posting from.  

if you have, you might post the number here, it’s possible one of the forum moderators could look at it in their copious spare time.  Sure, 1401171627

Are you paying Spotify for a retail account, or are you using a ‘normal’ single user account which isn’t supposed to be used in a retail setting?  Can you explain the variation in the above in further detail?  

Is there one speaker or BOOST that is hard wired to your router, or do all of those devices hang off your WiFi? If the latter, is it 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

One speaker is wired to the router, and I had hoped to set things up via Sonosnet as I’d been advised that this was a more robust connection.   Speakers are showing on the router config as being ethernet, so I assume this means a Sonosnet connection?   This was later confirmed by a Sonos technician verbally when we checked the setup last night via a support call, however this has again ‘dropped’ today with the lan/wired speaker now not showing. 

Are you using the S1 or S2 controller for setup, and on what device is it on?  S2 via a reception PC running Win10.  I also have the S2 app on iphone 12, running iOS 14.6.

What OS is on that device? You’re aware the PC controller does not have the capability of adding new devices to your system, it can only ‘play’ existing speakers?  I am now. 

Have you made the unfortunate move of factory resetting any of your devices? If not, good, you shouldn’t. 

Too late, they have all been factory reset - others on this forum have suggested in a variety of posts that this might fix the issues we started experiencing.  What now?  

What version of the software is running on the speakers? What version is running on your PC?

The speakers currently visible are running 13.1.1,  the PC 13.1.2.  The Build is 63289270. 

Can the PC controller ‘see’ all the speakers?  Not currently.  The hardwired LAN speaker is not showing today, but this seems to be variable. 

When the system ‘fails’, is there a specific error?  No.  Spotify stops, various speakers ‘fall off’ the network and disappear.  Sometimes reappear on their own, other times not. 

Much if that information request was for a Sonos rep, so that they would have a better understanding of the particulars of your situation. Not being a Sonos rep, I don’t have access to the diagnostic data.

But it does look like you’ve done much in what I would consider the ‘correct’ way, which hopefully eliminates several potential issues that might have been. 

I believe that the server location for Spotify business, or whatever they call it, is likely a different server port for both authorization of the account, and then streaming of the source. So Sonos being aware of which you had might take them in a different direction when contacting Spotify. Sonos doesn’t store any of Spotify’s resources locally, they just point to locations in the Spotify service. 

There are two potentials that come to mind when you say the speakers are dropping off. The first, and most prevalent, would be wifi interference of some type, which would show up, I would think, in the diagnostic submitted. The second, and less likely, would be duplicate IP addresses, which you’ve already stated that you’ve assigned these devices permanent addresses in your router’s DHCP table. 

I would recommend, now that it’s no longer the weekend, that you call Sonos Support directly to discuss your diagnostic.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Or, wait until a forum moderator has the time to look at the diagnostic. In my opinion, worth every cent you paid for it, a synchronous conversation is better that asynchronous, but it’s up to you. 

Either way, I’d be interested in hearing what you find out, and wish you the best.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @CCNoosa, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community!

Having a look through the diagnostics it does seem that you’re being affected by an ongoing issue with Spotify streams, which causes the stream to skip to the next song - typically giving a “Connection lost" error message. As a workaround, you should be able to use Direct Control from the Spotify app to play music through the Sonos system

Regarding the missing speakers, however, we’ll need to look a bit deeper.

Is the wired speaker connected directly to the router, and not via a network switch at all? Is there any difference in the rooms you see available using the iPhone app? When speakers are in a “dropped" state, does physically pressing the Play/Pause button have any effect? Despite only 3 speakers showing in the diagnostic, I can see that others are online right now, and connected to the same network.