Question

Multiple access points Sonos controller issue

Show first post

37 replies

Badge
Looking through the forum at similar historic issues, it looks like moving between multiple APs can sometimes cause problems for the Sonos controller app. With only one AP, the problem obviously goes away. Would using a mesh help (the theory being the treatment of moving between APs would be more seamless)? Does anyone have any direct experience of using a mesh and moving between APs successfully with a Sonos controller app on the iphone?
The BT hubs are generally good but a few things....

Many automatically reboot after 14 days, not all but worthwhile rebooting the router regularly and as a first port of call if you have any network issues.

Firmware updates can cause issues and the hub can also go “weird”, factory resetting is probably the next best thing to try, you can backup your settings prior to doing so.

I have a BT Smarthb and use it with Apple access points and swap between APs without issue. I also have TP homeplugs... they work but need a weekly power cycle otherwise strange things happen.
Badge
@Belly M Thanks for the reply. Yes, for this specific issue, I've tried restarting the BT router and the tp-link but neither makes a difference. The BT router is actually very stable and we've had no issues at all with it. It looks like it auto-updated the firmware 10 days ago and so I imagine it's on the latest version or thereabouts. Out of interest, what Apple APs are you using?
I use the Airport Time Capsule (4th Gen) and Airport Extreme (5th gen) they are all the "n" versions and look a bit like an old Mac Mini.

I would Factory reset the BT Hub, a pain I know but worthwhile, mine also updated around 10 days ago but needed a reboot as it did not pickup the BT DNS servers IP's.
Badge
@Belly M I've now done a factory reset of the BT router. I also did a reset of the Sonos controller after that. Unfortunately, neither has made a difference and the issue still exists.
Another experiment for you to try:
  • wire the BT Mini Hotspot directly to the router (ignore the powerline bit)
  • flip your phone between the TP-Link's SSID-TP and the Mini's SSID-BT
I just read through again, and ratty is probably the person to come up with a solution (no pressure 😂)

a couple more...

Try in iOS, Settings, General... at the bottom reset. Reset network settings.

I use the same SSID on 2.4 & 5 Ghz, yeah I know many people have issues not splitting.
Badge
@ratty I tried to wire the BT Mini Hotspot directly to the router (and ignore the powerline side of it) but it didn't want to work like that and I just couldn't connect to it properly. So, I plugged it into a socket as a normal powerline extender. The TP-link was happy to be directly wired to the router (as in the previous test).

With this setup and toggling between SSID-BT and SSID-TP, I was able to connect to Sonos on both SSIDs. Toggling to SSID-24 (the BT router) and the controller lost connection again. Toggling back to and between SSID-BT and SSID-TP everything was okay again. Toggling back to SSID-24 and the controller lost connection again.
Badge
@Belly M
Try in iOS, Settings, General... at the bottom reset. Reset network settings.
Yes, will do

I use the same SSID on 2.4 & 5 Ghz, yeah I know many people have issues not splitting.
Yes, we seem to need them split otherwise we have issues on the 3rd floor (guessing idevices trying to hang on or connect to the weak 5Ghz when there's a better 2.4Ghz but possibly swapping between for some reason).
@ratty I tried to wire the BT Mini Hotspot directly to the router (and ignore the powerline side of it) but it didn't want to work like that and I just couldn't connect to it properly. So, I plugged it into a socket as a normal powerline extender. The TP-link was happy to be directly wired to the router (as in the previous test).

With this setup and toggling between SSID-BT and SSID-TP, I was able to connect to Sonos on both SSIDs. Toggling to SSID-24 (the BT router) and the controller lost connection again. Toggling back to and between SSID-BT and SSID-TP everything was okay again. Toggling back to SSID-24 and the controller lost connection again.

There does appear to be some kind of interaction with the BT Hub. It's difficult to imagine why, unless the Hub's taking umbrage at the controller's discovery traffic after it flips over.

To be honest at this point I'd probably be considering a simple workaround, such as hanging an AP off the router and disabling the latter's WiFi.
Badge
Thanks @ratty for all your advice and help. I think I’m leaning towards swapping the router at the moment...
Badge
In case anyone is ever interested, I solved my issue by replacing my existing BT SmartHub Type A router. Before I did this, I managed to get hold of a second BT SmartHub Type A router and tested with that too but had exactly the same issue. So, I decided it was likely an issue related to the specific model of router. I've replaced with an Ubiquiti router and now all is good. Many thanks to all those who offered help and advice.