Answered

Multiple Access Point Ubiquiti Problem

• 11 November 2018
  • 5 replies

Is there any common solution for multi APs and multiple sonos speakers. I can set up the system with the help of Sonos Boost, but as soon as my controller switches APs it cannot find a single speaker.
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 12 November 2018, 02:30

Are all APs on the same network? I don't think having the same credentials and channel is necessary in Boost mode.

Is the Boost on the same network?

Any smart switches in the setup that could be messing the Sonos STP setup stuff?

Doing client isolation on your WiFi?

Are the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios on the same network?

Are the WiFi credentials removed from the Sonos setup?

Maybe turn off Airtime Fairness but I don't think so.

Worst case get it to act up, submit a diagnostic and contact Sonos (twitter and facebook are staffed 24x7) or post the number here and sometime Monday Sonos should see it.
View original

5 replies

I 'solved' the problem for my situation by switching to SonosNet. Basically, I added a Boost directly wired to Cat5 Ethernet and let the Sonos units create their own mesh. I moved the TP-Links to the channel 1 side and let the SonosNet grab the upper channel (13 I think it was - not at home to check). Works like a charm. All controllers connect properly from anywhere, and I don't get any glitches, interference, or dropoffs on either SonosNet or TP-Link EAP.

Although I could have added a Play:1, I used a Boost because the accessible wired ethernet is in a utility room, a place I really don't need music. The least expensive option was a Boost.
I too have TP-Link EAP225 aps using controller software as well. I have to disable 2.4ghz on all but 1 to make sonos work but the issue then becomes reaching wifi to all the speakers. If there is a known issue of why this does not work can Sonos indicate why? And how to fix? I own 7 sonos speakers so I have a fair amount of money invested so I wish this would work better.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sonos is unlikely to do anything until users contact them with a diagnostic submission and problem report. Here works most of the time but twitter and facebook are less likely to be missed and are open 24x7, the forums will likely see a Sonos staffer on Monday.
In part due to the number of devices required on my net (home office/computer consulting), I have several TP-Link EAP225 Access Points - same idea as the Ubiquity. One SSID, several MACs, several IPs. The EAP controlling software takes care of load balancing, and I can seamlessly move between rooms with devices, and monitor the handoffs.

My 5 Sonos Play:1 systems work great, in various group combinations. I currently have all 5 grouped, yesterday was 3+1+1. On the EAP control panel (TP-Link supplied Omada Controller v 2.6.1) , I see that the Sonos players are distributed across the APs

BUT, similar to your situation. there is one and only one AP that I can connect my controller to to see all of the Play:1 units. If I connect to other APs (by getting close and toggling my controller's WiFi), I only see some of the units, if I'm lucky. This seems to be an issue of the controller not being able to query the subnet properly, or perhaps Sonos is using a flavour of Bonjour service that doesn't play well with balanced APs. (For my own reference, cisco.com's paper BYOD_Bonjour_EntMob.pdf)

I hope Sonos can do something about this, in cooperation with Ubiquity and TP-Link.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Are all APs on the same network? I don't think having the same credentials and channel is necessary in Boost mode.

Is the Boost on the same network?

Any smart switches in the setup that could be messing the Sonos STP setup stuff?

Doing client isolation on your WiFi?

Are the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios on the same network?

Are the WiFi credentials removed from the Sonos setup?

Maybe turn off Airtime Fairness but I don't think so.

Worst case get it to act up, submit a diagnostic and contact Sonos (twitter and facebook are staffed 24x7) or post the number here and sometime Monday Sonos should see it.