Question

Multicast ubnt Ubiquiti Networks Unifi Long Range AP

• 29 December 2015
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I have 2 * Play:1 and 1 * Play:3 all connected via Wifi. I have three access points in my house, one Long Range Ubiquiti Networks Unifi Access Point and two Apple Airport Express. All APs are on the same subnet, no routing, no filtering. Everything works fine, apart from every now and then my iPhone iOS Sonos client / controller won't connect. I'm 90% sure this is when it is attached to the Unifi Access Point. I'm guessing it uses Multicast to find the Play:1 / PLay:3 devices. Reading some forums, it looks like the Unifi AP has some Multicast issues. Before I start TCPDUMPing, can someone confirm what the good communication should look like? Am I right in my assumption it uses multicast to connect? Any idea which MC groups?

Thanks, Ian

4 replies

Hi,

I managed to fix the issue by disabling IGMP snooping on the Access Point. Instructions here https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/205146040-UniFi-config-properties-File-Explanation

Thanks, Ian
Hi Buzz, thanks for your reply. You are right, I can easily see the problem when I can see either the controller / iOS app or the Sonos Play on the Unifi network. I have switched the power to low as you suggested, which should limit the problem to one or two rooms.

Max, thanks for your reply. The UnifiLR is just a normal access point rather than a range entender, it just happens to be named like a range extender. If you publish anything about the protocols used without BOOST that would still be a big help, as I can ask the makers of UNifi how to switch on forwarding of that kind of traffic.

Thanks, Ian
iancuk23,

Using the Unifi controller you can easily see which wireless clients are using a Unifi access point.

If you dig around you'll hear some grumbling that the high power setting on those access points overloads some nearby devices. You can also get into a situation where the range is not symmetric. By this I mean that the client device can receive from the Unifi LR, but the client does not have enough power to reach the Unifi. You can explore this by not using "auto" for the Unifi power setting -- try one of the lower settings.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi,

I have 2 * Play:1 and 1 * Play:3 all connected via Wifi. I have three access points in my house, one Long Range Ubiquiti Networks Unifi Access Point and two Apple Airport Express. All APs are on the same subnet, no routing, no filtering. Everything works fine, apart from every now and then my iPhone iOS Sonos client / controller won't connect. I'm 90% sure this is when it is attached to the Unifi Access Point. I'm guessing it uses Multicast to find the Play:1 / PLay:3 devices. Reading some forums, it looks like the Unifi AP has some Multicast issues. Before I start TCPDUMPing, can someone confirm what the good communication should look like? Am I right in my assumption it uses multicast to connect? Any idea which MC groups?

Thanks, Ian

Hi, certain network types do not support a Standard Setup. If you are attempting to set up Sonos on a network that fits one or more of the following criteria, you will need to select BOOST Setup.
  • Enterprise access points configured to require certificates or some other form of enterprise authentication
  • Routers that operate on only the 5GHz spectrum
  • Guest networks or Hotspots that use a portal page to login
  • Networks with wireless range extenders

For more information about this please this article: How to Set Up Sonos: Standard Setup.