Answered

Moving Sonos from one house to another

• 21 April 2019
  • 3 replies

Hello,
I want to know what is the best way to migrate my two existing Sonos systems in two separate houses with separate WiFi’s into one house with new WiFi network. At my 1st house I have a play:5 and at my second house I have a pair of ones.
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 21 April 2019, 10:43

Rather than trying to connect them to the wifi, just wire them to the router with an ethernet cable. Then "Connect to existing system", if it asks. I don't think it will.

Well, having all three of them connected to the router by cable is messy, and I don’t see anything against connecting them to the WiFi. But do I need to factory reset them, or Ian there an other way
Take just one speaker from the chosen household and temporary wire it to the main router. Now power on all remaining speakers in the nearby vicinity and open the Sonos App (connected to the router WiFi signal). You should see all speakers. (If any do not appear in the App for any reason, then power them off and back on again).

Hopefully the Sonos Room Names are relevant and different, but if not, change those in their Room Settings.

Next goto “Advanced Settings/Wireless setup” and enter your new chosen household's WiFi credentials for the main router WiFi. Note they are case sensitive. Give it a few seconds to propagate the credentials to all players and then disconnect the speaker from the router and put the speakers where you want them and all will then run on your WiFi in that single chosen Household.
View original

3 replies

Rather than trying to connect them to the wifi, just wire them to the router with an ethernet cable. Then "Connect to existing system", if it asks. I don't think it will.

Well, having all three of them connected to the router by cable is messy, and I don’t see anything against connecting them to the WiFi. But do I need to factory reset them, or Ian there an other way

Take just one speaker from the chosen household and temporary wire it to the main router. Now power on all remaining speakers in the nearby vicinity and open the Sonos App (connected to the router WiFi signal). You should see all speakers. (If any do not appear in the App for any reason, then power them off and back on again).

Hopefully the Sonos Room Names are relevant and different, but if not, change those in their Room Settings.

Next goto “Advanced Settings/Wireless setup” and enter your new chosen household's WiFi credentials for the main router WiFi. Note they are case sensitive. Give it a few seconds to propagate the credentials to all players and then disconnect the speaker from the router and put the speakers where you want them and all will then run on your WiFi in that single chosen Household.