Move Won't Group with other rooms

• 26 May 2021
  • 8 replies

I added a Sonos Move to my existing system.  There are 3 Sonos AMPs in the system also.  Two of the AMPs are hardwired to the network, one is wireless.  All of the AMPs group properly with each other.  The Sonos MOVE will play fine by itself.  If you play something on the MOVE then add in another room, it shows like everything is grouped properly (including volume display for both rooms) but the second added room doesn’t play anything (even though the app indicates that it is).  If I start with one of the AMPs then add in the MOVE, I get the same secanario except the room with the AMP works and the MOVE doesn’t play.  The volume is turned up and displays as such, but there is no sound.  I have tried:

• Rebooting all Sonos devices and the Modem/Router
  • Switching to different WiFi channels
  • Switching from 2.4GHz network to 5GHz network
  • Factory defaulting Sonos MOVE and readding
  • Calling tech support, twice
  • Moving the MOVE close to the modem/router
  • Grouping the MOVE with different AMPs

When I called tech support I sent diagnostics.  Both time they took my number down in case we were to get disconnected.  Both times after being on hold for quite a while we became disconnected.  Neither time did anyone call me back.

VERY FRUSTRATED

How can I resolve this???

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DMark 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Do you have any devices that extend the range of your WiFi signal? The Move will only connect to your WiFi and not to the network that your wired Amps are creating. It’s likely that the multicast packets going to the Move are being blocked by a piece of equipment, or a network setting.

If you do have something that extends WiFi, please try switching it off and test grouping with the Move a couple of minutes later. If you don’t have any such devices, what router do you have, please?

VIASAT RG1100

No Extenders

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DMark 

Thanks for the info. I had a look at the online manual for your router, but it didn’t list which networking options were available.

I can only recommend you get back in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to check your router settings for you.

If you want to try yourself, you’ll need to find the IP address for your router and type it into the address bar of your internet browser. In Windows, this can be found by typing ipconfig in the Command Prompt and looking for the Gateway Address. On Mac, open Terminal and use the ifconfig command.

Once into the router configuration page, look for Networking settings relating to multicast and turn them on. If there is IGMP Snooping/Filtering, please turn that on too.

I hope this helps. I also hope someone reading this is familiar with your router and can give specific help.

Hi, I had exactly the same problem, tried everything including checking and changing various router settings as suggested on the forum (router was TP link AC1900 dual band router - quite a reasonable spec router) and gave up in the end and just used the Move on its own. However I’ve just changed router to the best standard one provided by my ISP TalkTalk (WiFi Hub, not the WiFi Hub Black) and all grouping of Move with other units is working perfectly so I suspect your problem may be similarly related to your router. Hope that helps.

@DMark  - if you still have this problem...

One experiment you might try is to disconnect the Ethernet cables from your wired speakers so that everything is connected to your WiFi.  At the moment only your Move is connected to your WiFi, which is fine with 99.9% of routers but could conceivably be a problem for a few routers.

I am not sure whether the WiFi details you entered for the Move carry across to other devices.  If your system disappears completely when you disconnect Ethernet (give it a couple of minutes to reconfigure before you judge this) then you need to go to Settings, System, Network and go through Wireless Setup before disconnecting Ethernet again.  

I’m having this same issue. Omg is it beyond frustrating. For a WiFi based system to be non WiFi friendly is ridiculous. My router is the Eero Pro 6   
Are there any known issues with Eero? Everything works fine except on its own when I pair the Move in a Group. All other speakers perform correctly.

Deleted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Adrenalista 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

You might want to experiment with different rooms being in charge of the group (the room selected first, before grouping) as this can change performance significantly. Failing that, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.