Question

Move Speaker will not play with other Sonos speakers

• 18 October 2019
  • 17 replies

Badge

Somehow when I setup the MOVE for internet, it hooked on to the same network as my other Sonos speakers but through what the Sonos Tech call an extender or another router which I don’t have to my knowledge.  Therefore, I can play just the Move by itself but when I group it with my other 3 Sonos speakers, it will not play with them.  I have spent over 3 hours on the phone with Sonos and they tell me to call my internet provider for a new router.  My internet provider has run all kinds of diagnostic and since they can find nothing wrong with it and it works with other devices, they will not consider a new router.  One tech did identify that maybe it was a netgear product that runs my security cameras that is acting as another router, so I unplugged it from the main router, rebooted, reset the MOve and it still will not play withy my other speakers.  So I am caught in the middle - Sonos says it is my router and My Internet provider says it cannot help with a product to call Sonos.

Anyone else ever had this problem??

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

What happens if you take one of your other 3 Sonos speakers and plug it directly into the router that you are for sure connecting to wirelessly.

In the Sonos app do the 3 sonos speakers show and the move - and you can group them (just doesn’t work)?

Userlevel 7

Hi moodyjudy0817

Check to see if you have a guest network active. The Move may be connecting to it. If so turn off the guest network. Reboot your Move and connect to your Wi-Fi.

Badge

Where do I check to see about a guest network?

If you have a wifi repeater in your system, this will happen. I have the same problem. Only solution is to unplug the repeater, switch off and then on the Move, then plug the repeater back in. The Move doesn’t like other wifisignals!

Badge

I have 2 Sonos boost to help my wifi signal but I don’t know what a repeater is. 

A BOOST creates a SonosNet signal, or extends that type of signal. It does not extend a WiFi signal. The Move can not connect to a SonosNet signal, only a WiFi signal. 

Badge

I did not try unplugging my Boosts and then putting the MOVE on the network.  I will try that.  However after spending hours on the phone with Sonos about this issue, I am surprised they did not tell me to try this.  They kept blaming my internet provider who also could not figure out where another network was coming from.  

Badge

I've got a similar problem to this - did you ever solve it?? 

I've got a boost, playbar, 5, 2 x play 1's and 2 x symfonisk, all work perfectly as a group. The move appears but when I try to group the Move, I get a

"some sonos products are using a WiFi from a range exterder device" message.

I do have - and need - WiFi extenders as I live in an old house with thick walls. 

Funnily, whilst the move doesn't play, it does appear in the group and I can play and pause the grouping using it! 

Any suggestions? 

Not on netgear kit... 

Badge

Nope. Gave up after days working with Sonos and my internet  provider.  Just use Move by itself and stopped worrying about it. 

Badge

Wow.  I’m having this issue too.  I’m trying to use my move and group it with other speakers.  It won’t let me do that because it says I’m using a repeater.   What’s weird is that it worked fine for awhile as a group.  Then went silent then I added it back and I got that extender error.  Any updates on this because Move is marketed not only as an outside speaker but a portable indoor speaker and I didn’t see any disclaimers about not being able to group or use wireless extenders.  

Userlevel 7

Hi @DCEsquire 

I understand your frustration regarding extenders, access points and the like. In truth maybe Sonos should put a “before you buy read the setup/system requireents information in the the following link”:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126?language=en_US

Bottom-line issues with improperly configured range extenders and access points have been published ever since Sonos made their products Home-Wi-Fi compatible. The information in the link may help.

Cheers!

Badge

Thanks.  This is so weird because I have a 7 zone system and everything else functions perfectly.  Mostly wired but some wireless devices.  I don’t know why it would just arise with the Move?

Userlevel 7

Hi @DCEsquire 

If you have a wired Sonos product most likely Sonos is using the SonosNet. The Move does not interact over the SonosNet just your Home Wifi.

Badge

Hi @DCEsquire 

If you have a wired Sonos product most likely Sonos is using the SonosNet. The Move does not interact over the SonosNet just your Home Wifi.

This is most likely the case.  What is the practical impact for me and is this the reason why I can’t group the Move.  I will see how it goes but I’m thinking of returning the Move since it seems to exist in a different universe than my other Sonos speakers that operate flawlessly.  Feeling like this is a bit of a half baked product.  Perhaps wait for Gen 2 where Sonos seems to get it right.

Userlevel 7

Hi @DCEsquire 

My comment about the Move not using the SonosNet was not intended as the reason for your issues. I have two Moves that work flawlessly and my other Sonos are on the SonosNet. The problem mostly lies with the range extenders capturing the Move and not your primary wifi. 

If you insist on keeping the range extenders make sure they have the same SSID and Passphrase as your main router and that they are not DHCP capable.

Badge

Thanks!  Range extenders all have same SSID and Passphrase.  Don’t know about DHCP ability. Range extenders are pretty much a necessity in this world so this seems like a design flaw from the start.  Wish there was some disclosure about the technical complexity of getting a speaker to work / group if you had a range extender.  

Oddly the Move works great and I can get it to group with other wired speakers fine - but the Sonos software seems to disconnect it from the group after some 30/60 seconds.  It’s maddening because it actually works fine until it disconnects itself notwithstanding the warning.

Userlevel 7

Hi @DCEsquire 

For DHCP open the admin page for the range extenders and look under LAN. You should see an option or TAB to enable/disable DHCP server. Disable it.

Also, in wireless settings for main router look for Airtime Fairness. Disable it.