Move - Not Charging

I bought a Move over the weekend. I charged it to full and then used it for a couple of hours. I turned it off when I was done. I went to use it this morning and it was dead. I placed it on the charger and it lit up like it was charging, but it doesn’t seem to be charging. I tried I tried the dock for several hours and using the USB-C option for a couple hours and it still doesn’t turn on. Tried both options in multiple outlets. I get the little charging light anytime I move or unplug it. It’s listed as “offline” in the app, so I can’t go in and mess with any of the settings. I don’t think I can reset it because it won’t even turn on. Anyone else run into this and able to fix it or is it a hardware problem (i.e., a dud)?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @esolis,

Welcome to the Sonos Community forum. 

We’re sorry to hear that your Move is giving you trouble. If you place the Move in the charging ring (making sure that the ring is right-side up) does an orange light appear on the face of the unit down near the bottom?

If you press and release the figure-eight “join” button on the back, does the player status light flash or respond in any way?

If you could submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos app and include the confirmation number in your reply, I can begin to look into this with you.  

I’m having a similar problem.  The ring will not charge my move any more (I’ve had it for 3-4 months, and this started happening a week ago).  

the Ubsc charger will charge the device. But not the ring.  No charging light comes on while it’s on the ring. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @jbray.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

Since you already isolated the problem that the Usb-c port is working in your speaker and not the charging port is dead.
I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

My move stopped charging yesterday. I’ve tried resets, different outlets, the ring, and the USB-C port, and I’m watching the power in the app slowly drain down to 0. Is there something I’m missing? I’ve only had it for a few months. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @jermtymo 

It looks like that's all of it.

I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted, and check the warranty coverage of your Sonos: move.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Same problem here.  Worked for a few weeks, now when I place on the charging ring a red/orange light briefly comes on in the front, then turns off.  Doesn’t charge.  No response to the join button.  The ‘phone support’ is of course not working and can’t use the app because the Move doesn’t connect to home Wifi.  Going back to the store today I’m afraid

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @LDC.

If you think you got a bad product, it's highly recommended to return the device to the point of purchase for them to replace it if they can.

Same problem. I used it for one day. Now no lights come on and it won’t charge - totally dead.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Codell25.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, I totally understand where you're coming from and I’m here to help.

Have you already tried the following steps that I’ve mentioned in the previous thread?

If you’ve done everything.

I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted, and check the warranty coverage of your Sonos: move.

Thanks, Mark. I was able to contact customer service and it now works. It was an issues with the way the speaker was seated into the charger. I also had to plug it directly into the wall rather than a power strip. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Codell25.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

Glad we can help.

Chears.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.