Most cost-efficient setup

I would like to use all the Sonos products, but they're simply out of my budget. If I was to purchase normal speakers for my various rooms (6 pairs for 6 rooms) and a normal amplifier (these speakers would be connected to the amplifier with normal speaker cables) could I introduce a Sonos Connect(?) or Connect Amp(?) and:
1./ send music from my phone to any/multiple zones?
2./ play music from a hard drive to any/multiple zones?
Or would I need a Connect(?) or Connect Amp(?) for each room???

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
stevefrik wrote:

could I introduce a Sonos Connect(?) or Connect Amp(?)

If you already have an amplifier, you wouldn't need the Connect Amp. Just the Connect will do.

stevefrik wrote:

1./ send music from my phone to any/multiple zones?

Yes.

stevefrik wrote:

2./ play music from a hard drive to any/multiple zones?

Yes.

stevefrik wrote:

Or would I need a Connect(?) or Connect Amp(?) for each room???

If you'd have only one Connect all speakers would play the same music. If you want different music in different rooms, you'd need a Connect for each room.
Ok we're getting somewhere, thank you. I have not purchased anything yet. Let's say I purchase 6 normal speaker pairs and mount them in the various rooms. If I want to be able to play any song in any room (or control volume levels in each room) then I would need 6 Connect Amps? This would negate the cost-efficiency right?
So there is no cost-efficient way to do it?
How would you proceed?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
stevefrik wrote:

If I want to be able to play any song in any room (or control volume levels in each room) then I would need 6 Connect Amps? This would negate the cost-efficiency right?
So there is no cost-efficient way to do it?
How would you proceed?

Without 6 separate amps you'd need 6 Connect:Amps. If that's cost-efficient I really can't tell. If I were you I'd buy a Boost (to connect to your router) and a set of 2 Play:1's to start with. There's a 100 day return period, so you wouldn't risk getting stuck with something you don't want.
Ok so what you're suggesting is to go the normal route. Use the two play 1s as a roaming pair around the house and see if I like the idea. If I do then I could build it up in time, right?

I basically have upstairs and downstairs areas. So if I setup a router downstairs then I could install a Boost upstairs and that should solve the network signal upstairs right?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
stevefrik wrote:

Use the two play 1s as a roaming pair around the house and see if I like the idea. If I do then I could build it up in time, right?

Yes.

stevefrik wrote:

I basically have upstairs and downstairs areas. So if I setup a router downstairs then I could install a Boost upstairs and that should solve the network signal upstairs right?

No, you'd connect the Boost to your router downstairs, which creates SonosNet. The Play:1's would connect to the Boost via SonosNet. As long as they're within reach of the Boost, they'd play music, wherever you'd position them.
stevefrik wrote:

Use the two play 1s as a roaming pair around the house and see if I like the idea. If I do then I could build it up in time, right?

Spot on; the 1 unit is ideal for this approach, being the most versatile Sonos product and a perfect building block. For audio, you won't need anything else, except perhaps a Sub in the prime listening area to anchor a 1 pair.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)