Answered

More Problems with Xfinity and Orbi

I had my Sonos set up with Xfinity as provider and it all worked fine. Then I replaced my router to an Orbi mesh wifi network. Got that working with Sonos also. Then I upgraded my service with Xfinity to gigabyte level and they replaced the modem. I cannot get Sonos to connect and stay put. Last night I had all but two of the Sonos speakers set up. Then all but two rooms disappeared. Then, without doing anything, all six rooms and all 10 speakers + playbar + sub showed up. An hour later they disappeared when I opened the sonos app. I've tried reloading the app. I've tried tying in one sonos unit, then another by ethernet. Nothing is working. Help! (note: I had this posted as a reply to a similar problem) Note also: I just submitted a system diagnosis.
icon

Best answer by Don46 20 April 2019, 16:03

OK, problem solved. I realized that the Xfinity installer gave the previous name of my home network to the new modem/router and then renamed the Orbi network "Orbi" I flipped it back and all my Sonos units connected smoothly and immediately. I should have thought of that sooner, but all is well now.

View original

5 replies

My confirmation number is 330479796 I just saw another reply from a Sonos tech expert saying that when I plugged a Sonos unit into the Orbi I messed things up. I'll wait for help.
It's now after hours for the forum moderators. If you're looking for an answer this weekend, you should contact Sonos support via Twitter or Facebook.

If you're going to connect one device with an ethernet cable, it needs to be connected to the device that's serving IP addresses to your network. Hopefully, when they connected your Orbi to your Xfinity, they turned off the DHCP on one of the devices. I would be connecting one device to the root of the Orbi network, which should give any mobile device a way to reach the SonosNet network that's setup when you connect that ethernet cable. Be sure that you remove your network SSID and password once you've got everything visible in the controller.

What I think you're experiencing is the flapping of your Sonos devices between the two networks. In general, when using a mesh network device, Sonos recommends using the wired (SonosNet) method, so that there aren't issues in the speakers connecting.
Thanks Bruce, I follow some of this and am not quite sure of the fix here, but I'll wait until Monday or whenever for a solution. Unless you think I might get a response over the weekend by posting on Facebook?
From what I understand, the support options of both Twitter and Facebook are manned 24/7, so it's worth a try.
OK, problem solved. I realized that the Xfinity installer gave the previous name of my home network to the new modem/router and then renamed the Orbi network "Orbi" I flipped it back and all my Sonos units connected smoothly and immediately. I should have thought of that sooner, but all is well now.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings