Answered

Mojave Compatibility

After upgrading my mac laptop to Mojave when I load the controller now I get the "Sorry, we can't connect to Sonos" message. Any suggestions?
icon

Best answer by speedwell 4 October 2018, 01:22

I figured it out! When I upgraded to Mojave I had to switch from Little Snitch to a different port monitoring program. I briefly tried Murus (too complicated) before settling on LuLu (which is very similar to Little Snitch) Turns out the culprit was a file in the LaunchDaemons folder from the Murus program that wasn't removed when I uninstalled the program. Just deleted the file and presto Sonos is back to normal.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

I think the first thing I'd check is to be certain that the computer is connected to the same wifi/router that the Sonos system is. What that message means is that the controller is looking on the network it's connected to for a signal from any Sonos device. I upgraded my system on a MacBook Air with no issues, so I'm fairly confident it's not a Mojave issue in itself. But then again, I'm not at home where I can pop it open and double check at this second, either.

You may want to also double check not only the SSID, but also the channel that the Mac is connected to. I've seen, in a few occasions, where the machine was connected to the 5Ghz signal, and the Sonos is connected to the 2.4Ghz channel, and the router wasn't passing data between the two.

Shoot, it never hurts to reboot the machine, either.... 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Someone else had mentioned seeing a message or security notice about Sonos after upgrading to Mojave... I have to wonder if there might be something in the MacOS security/firewall settings that could be blocking the data the Sonos controller is looking for.

Unfortunately, my Macbook Pro is unable to be upgraded to Mojave, despite my replacing its hard drive with an SSD, and otherwise being perfectly usable with the previous version of MacOS... so I now have a paperweight that I can't use to provide assistance with MacOS issues anymore.
It's definitely on the correct SSID and I can even see the Sonos on the router's network map. Plus it's still able to connect to the Sonos from my cell phone on the same network. I've been communicating with the Sonos Support on Twitter and just sent in diagnostics from both my laptop and my phone so fingers crossed they've got some ideas.
Keep us posted, please. I'll do more testing tonight when I get home....but will admit to 99% of my control is either voice or iOS based, and not on my Mac.
So far they've had me reinstall the controller software and double check my firewall settings but no change. Issue exists even with my firewall turned off.
I figured it out! When I upgraded to Mojave I had to switch from Little Snitch to a different port monitoring program. I briefly tried Murus (too complicated) before settling on LuLu (which is very similar to Little Snitch) Turns out the culprit was a file in the LaunchDaemons folder from the Murus program that wasn't removed when I uninstalled the program. Just deleted the file and presto Sonos is back to normal.
Glad you figured it out!
I'm having the same problem - since I installed Mojave on my MacBook it won't connect to Sonos. I can connect to Sonos from my iPhone. Following the Sonos firewall troubleshooting instructions doesn't help. I never installed Little Snitch, Murus or LuLu on my MacBook so I can't delete them.
That's really odd....I didn't have any issues when I installed Mojave. May I recommend that you contact Sonos to discuss it? There may be some other issue blocking the system's ability to reach the Sonos...perhaps even the network being 5Ghz rather than the 2.4Ghz signal Sonos uses.
Thanks. I'll contact Sonos as you've suggested
I called Sonos, uninstalled and reinstalled the controller on my MacBook, turned off my VPN, and with help from the Sonos rep on the phone, discovered that the MacBook (when restarted after the Mojave installation) had automatically connected to a different network than the one Sonos was connected to. Switched to the right network and, voila, Sonos and Mojave are once again speaking to each other