Answered

Mobile intermittently loosing connection to Sonos

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Morning all. Have a robust Sonos system that rarely presents a problem but I do have an ongoing problem with the Sonos app loosing the connection to the Sonos system when being used outside.

Just to describe what we have ….. a number of devices on S2, all hard wired, all up to date and nearly all feeding in-ceiling speakers. There is also a small S1 system of 2-3 devices upstairs. Also hard wired. Also a Port feeding a large Pioneer AV amp to a 7.2 system outside speaker system …  Evid 6.2’s and B&W PV1 SW’s. Works really well.

The wireless network is a Netgear Orbi system with 4 satellites. One in the kitchen and one hard wired in the shed to cover the garden. 

The mobile is a Sony Xperia 1 III connected to wireless and signal seems very strong.

But whilst it runs nicely 80% of the time, it then looses connection and no control of any devices is possible. I cannot say for sure but it seems unlikely the wireless signal would be the problem. The distance between each satellite is maybe 15 meters. When this happens, even walking back inside does not restore the connection. Eventually it will come back. Sometimes you need to search for the system again. Music playback continues uninterrupted. 

I’ve been living with it a bit but it’s not right. Wandering if any of you have seen the same or have ideas how to resolve please? It spoils what otherwise is a super system.

I’ve found an external weatherproof Orbi satellite on ebay cheap and is on the way from the US right now. But this seems overkill to have 3 wireless devices within a 15 meter square area. 

Advice as always gratefully received.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 14 June 2022, 13:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Is the phone’s WiFi option, to connect to the mobile network when the WiFi is borderline, turned off?

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Is the phone’s WiFi option, to connect to the mobile network when the WiFi is borderline, turned off?

Will check that today Ratty. I had assumed signal was good. It has a 6 to the LHS of the wifi symbol which I think means Wifi 6. Then to the RHS it has an LTE signal of 3 bars. But that is at the front of the house as I’m typing to you now. 

It could be that the signal on mobile is less strong at the back. And indeed I should check the wifi signal. It ‘should’ be really strong but that said I have not technically checked it. I think there is an app you can get which measures strength graphically. Yes that would be a good place to start Ratty. Will come back with results

I like this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrem.wifianalyzer

As for the WiFi option on your phone, it should be in the advanced page of your WiFi settings. I turn mine off, as I get a bit fed up with the phone flipping to 4G when I’m moving around the house and the phone roams between access points. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

I like this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrem.wifianalyzer

As for the WiFi option on your phone, it should be in the advanced page of your WiFi settings. I turn mine off, as I get a bit fed up with the phone flipping to 4G when I’m moving around the house and the phone roams between access points. 

Many thanks for the link Ratty. Will install have a wander round and test soon as it stops raining. :-)

Yes the action you describe could very well be what is happening here. And yet the supposed range of the RBS850 Orbs is supposed to be really good. I bought them in the hope the garden area would be the same strength as in house. 

And yet thinking on, I tend to use the laptop in house and mobile outside … just out of habit really. Some interesting lines of enquiry now though. Many thanks, will report back.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Bit outside the remit of Sonos forum but struggling to understand best way analysis the data produced Ratty.

On the Access Points page, I can see the appropriate satellites (currently 4) highlighted different bars of green (none below half) and at distances of 9.2m, 8.7m, 10.9m, and 12.2m which roughly figures.

I have a 5th one I acquired cheaply which I will add shortly. It looks like signal strength is ok best of my limited technical knowledge. 

Am I looking in the right zone and manner?

Also could I trouble you explain a bit more what you mean about ‘turning Wifi off’ in settings? Am I misunderstanding the approach?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @attacama40 

Thanks for your post!

If you have a router in addition to your Orbi system, then you’d either need to make sure any ethernet wiring goes through a switch connected to the main Orbi node and that DHCP is disabled on the other router, or put the Orbi system into Bridge mode. More info can be found on my Troubleshooting Sonos on WiFi article. 

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @attacama40 

Thanks for your post!

If you have a router in addition to your Orbi system, then you’d either need to make sure any ethernet wiring goes through a switch connected to the main Orbi node and that DHCP is disabled on the other router, or put the Orbi system into Bridge mode. More info can be found on my Troubleshooting Sonos on WiFi article. 

I hope this helps.

Corry hi there.

What I have is a Virgin Media Smart Hub 3 but in modem mode.

Then the Netgear RBK853 kit which is essentially I believe a Netgear router and three satellites. All vanilla set up…..

https://store.netgear.co.uk/product/rbk853-100eus?cid=uk-best-wifi6-srch-cpc&utm_source=search&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=uk-best-wifi6-srch-cpc&gclid=CjwKCAjw46CVBhB1EiwAgy6M4v0_qqePjnK_3rw0pmbF-ZLVa8nz9OVGl3qefd7bmvP_VDSek9YQzhoC2DMQAvD_BwE

Then I added another satellite to that …. correct matching Netgear model. In fact I have two more of these which I think in reality might be overkill but all the same ….

https://store.netgear.co.uk/product/rbs850-100eus

All the sats are RJ45 wired back but go through an older Netgear 48 port GB switch next door to the Orbi main box. No clever settings, all vanilla unmanaged stuff. 

I never get any playback issues that I’m aware of. It’s just the smartphone loosing connection and then the app displays errors at the top message bar something like …. ‘cannot find a sonos system to connect to’ 

Going to take a read of the link you kindly sent. Thanks for that.

Also just realised I promised you some data this time last year that I never did! Embarrassed Sonos user here :-) Apologies I never delivered on that. Happy to follow up if helpful …  ahem

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @attacama40 

Ah yes - I thought I recognised the username! Yes - it would still be nice to show a photo, if you can arrange that. The party has obviously been and gone - did all go to plan with the Hue system?

If you’re sure the VM router is in Modem Mode (it will have a red light at the bottom, instead of white), then I can only suggest submitting a support diagnostic once when the app is connected to the Sonos system, and again when the app should be but isn’t. Take a note of each number and reply here with them - I’ll be happy to take a look for you. I’m not sure what I’ll be able to discern, mind you, but it’s definitely worth looking.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @attacama40 

Ah yes - I thought I recognised the username! Yes - it would still be nice to show a photo, if you can arrange that. The party has obviously been and gone - did all go to plan with the Hue system?

If you’re sure the VM router is in Modem Mode (it will have a red light at the bottom, instead of white), then I can only suggest submitting a support diagnostic once when the app is connected to the Sonos system, and again when the app should be but isn’t. Take a note of each number and reply here with them - I’ll be happy to take a look for you. I’m not sure what I’ll be able to discern, mind you, but it’s definitely worth looking.

Apologies Corry, not had chance to do this yet. Do you mean to run a diagnostic tool on the smartphone within Sonos? Not done that before but can see it I think under the Support Tab. 

So not forgotten and will sort both shortly. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @attacama40 

Do you mean to run a diagnostic tool on the smartphone within Sonos? Not done that before but can see it I think under the Support Tab. 

Yes please - once when connected, and once again when not. Please report both numbers here.

You can simply post any photos to the thread - I’ll incorporate them into the article. Thanks!