Missing Products from Systems List - Ethernet vs Wifi?

• 30 August 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

I have multiple Sonos products. Sonos Controllers are on Android and iOS products -- all wireless -- and one iMac M1 running MacOS 11.5.2 Big Sur that has the WiFi turned off -- and I have reasons not to have the iMac on WiFi. This iMac is hard-wired to a switch that, in turn, is driven by an IP address set by an Eero router. This same switch is hard-wired to a Sonos Boost. As a result, all of my Sonos products are in “wired mode (WM:0)” All computers, Sonos products, and Sonos Controllers have been updated to the latest releases.

Recently, I’ve noted that the iMac’s Sonos Controller does not always show all of the Sonos products in my house. The products that it does show work fine, as does access to the music library that is on a NAS, as well as other subscribed streaming audio services…..just some devices are missing. Doing a “Force Quit” of the Sonos Controller on the iMAC, followed by a restart does not solve the problem. Rebooting the iMAC does not solve the problem.

So here’s the odd part. I can put the iMac into wireless mode and disconnect its Ethernet cable. Suddenly, all of the Sonos products are visible on the Sonos Controller App. I can then shut down WiFi on the iMac, replug the Ethernet cable, and I’m off to the races. Everything works fine until I reboot the iMac.

This only recently started. No changes have occurred to the underlying system architecture. The iMac M1 is new. I know that all of the Sonos products have to be on the “same network” -- and they are effectively, in the sense that both the iMac and the Sonos Boost are on the same switch driven by the Eero router (as are all of the wireless Androids and iOS units). It’s a head-scratcher for me. Anyone have an idea?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Without specifics, I’m guessing there was a firmware update on the switch that you suggest is connected to the Eero, and the Mac, causing the change in status. 

However, this is an area I have limited knowledge in. It may be helpful to more knowledgeable forum members if you were to provide the make and model of this switch. 

FWIW, I’m suspecting the switch is blocking the discovery process that identifies all speakers. Which is why when you go straight Wi-Fi, it finds all devices, because that switch is no longer in the loop. That may mean it’s a managed switch, rather than a standard unmanaged switch. 

But this is a supposition, details will help members with more knowledge than I. 

Badge

The switch is unmanaged.

There are now two threads for this issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Closing this topic as a duplicate of