Messed up system

• 19 November 2020
  • 10 replies

Badge

My sonos system is totally messed up since an unavoidable update, all my speakers are early models S1 Play1x2, Play 3 x2, Play 5 and a Playbar. The controller will not complete a update and I only have the play 5 working. All the others are incompatible.

I have bought a smart phone to try and set it up again and failed, I need help to sort this out.

Deric

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Power down all your Sonos, reboot the router and your controller. Power up the Sonos one at a time and try the update again.

If this works you can avoid the issue on your next update by assigning each of your Sonos a static/reserved IP address on the router’s DHCP page. Then do the power cycle, reboot above to get all on the new addresses.

Badge

Thanks Stanley_4, I will give it a try later on and report back.

Deric

If that doesn’t work……

When you say that the other speakers are ‘incompatible’, what exactly do you mean?  I am wondering if you have inadvertently upgraded your other speakers to S2.  (That is speculative, but I would like to know what you meant.)

Badge

Hi John B,

Yes I could well have inadvertently upgraded to S2, I just don’t know how that happened. The only speaker on S1 is the Play 5 where they should all be S1.

The incompatible message message appears when I use the S1 controller to get the radio on the 2 Play1s and the 2 Play 3s plus the playbar. I also have a bridge that works ok on the S1 controller but is incompatible on the S2 controller.

If it were a computer problem then I could sort it. All the Sonos speakers all worked ok prior to that fateful update or upgrade.

The S1 controller will not update I get error messages, looking at the detail, shows problems with play1s, play 3s and playbar.

Deric

If you haven’t done so already, it may be worth trying the reboot suggested by @Stanley_4 , as I cannot be sure my guess at the problem is correct.

If you want to pursue my idea, then power off all your speakers except the Play:5 that is working on S1.  Then take one of the speakers and factory reset it as you power it on.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US

Then in your S1 mobile controller, do into Settings, System and tap ‘Add Product’.  Follow the prompts, and if we are lucky you will have two speakers working!

Please post back at that point, whether it works or not.

Badge

Hi John B,

I have followed your instructions and success I have a play1 along with the play5 on the S1 controller. Now for the second play1.

Thanks John B it is looking good.

Deric

Badge

Hi John B,

cracked it again now I have another play1 speaker on the system. The key is to reset to the factory setting.

I will work on the others later, many thanks.

Deric

Badge

All done now, back to normal

Many thanks,

Deric

Yes, doing the same with the other speakers should sort it out.

Note, factory resets are only necessary and helpful in a few very specific circumstances.  It was essential here, but in most troubleshooting situations it does more harm than good.  Just for future reference….  

Badge

Not forgetting Stanley_4s contribution to this issue,

My thanks to you both.

Deric