Question

Menu options grey and cannot get into settings

• 17 February 2017
  • 3 replies

I upgraded my router and could not connect to Sonos. I tried the suggested options then followed the instructions on the video for changing settings. The Manage Menu is 'greyed out' and I cannot enter settings to change anything. Has anyone got any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

There are a few reasons why the Settings/Manage menu is greyed out.

1) You are running the beta and are using an iOS device. I'm going to assume this is not the case because you used the word "Manage" menu, which applies to PC/Mac controllers.

2) You are running mismatched controller/firmware software. If the controller software version is not the same as the firmware on the players, you will be in limited compatibility mode. Check the versions at About My Sonos System.

3) Your operating system is only partially supported. If the OS on your mobile device/PC/Mac is only partially supported, you will have limited access to settings menus. The current requirements for full support are:

Android: Android 4.0 and higher (certain features require higher versions of Android)
iOS: iOS 8 and higher (certain features need higher versions of iOS)
macOS: 10.9 and higher
Windows®: Windows 7 and higher

You can use another fully supported device to access the settings menus.
Thank you for your reply. Your 2nd point was the only one that seemed to be likely so I did a search on firmware. It seems that my new router, a BT Smarthub, has problems with Sonos. That said I loaded Sonos onto my tablet, and it worked. Not sure why if it is the router that is causing problems. Still can't get it to work on my laptop, Windows 10.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thank you for your reply. Your 2nd point was the only one that seemed to be likely so I did a search on firmware. It seems that my new router, a BT Smarthub, has problems with Sonos. That said I loaded Sonos onto my tablet, and it worked. Not sure why if it is the router that is causing problems. Still can't get it to work on my laptop, Windows 10.

Check under Help > About Sonos on that the controllers are all on the same version. Your computer might not be running the same version of Sonos. The current version is 7.1 and the public beta is 7.2.