Answered

Maybe I’m not cut out to own Sonos - so many connectivity challenges

• 26 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge

I own a Playbase, Soundbar, Sonos One, three Play:1, two Connects and I live in a 1,500 SF house with an Eero mesh network. I struggle all the time to have them work. I spent two hours yesterday had them all connected and then unplugged a Play:1 to move it; plugged it back in a three speakers dropped. This morning I only have two showing up again. I go through the “Find as missing product” and push the Play + Plus and it’ll flash orange until the “Searching for Product” finishes and then the blinking orange goes Solid white and the prompt is asking for Flashing Orange. I try connecting The speaker I work mainly through my phone for setups. I hook a speaker straight to the router and it won’t notice it (them). I try Altenrnative Set Ups as directed, nothing. I try the set up a Sonos WiFi when prompted to do so and it doesn’t appear in my Networks. I try a complete reset not the speakers and it’ll see the speaker but won’t allow it to set up; says it can’t connect. I’m so frustrated; I’ve invested for years hoping I’d find a solution and love the system but right now I want to abandon the whole system and go Bluetooth. I want to love it and when the system does it’s great, but that is less than 25% of the time. Maybe I’m not cut out to own Sonos. Or what do I not know yet that everyone else does?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 26 November 2020, 21:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Sonos, being a network based product, requires a stable network to work well. It also tends not to play well with some mesh networks based on the fact that all Sonos devices need to be on the same subnet, something that some meshes don’t support. 

So, I’d do a couple of baseline things in your situation. First, wire one of your Sonos devices ( not surrounds or a Sub) to your base Eero device with an Ethernet cable. Do not use an extender puck, it needs to be the central hub of the network. This can be temporary, for testing purposes only, if needed you could use a Sonos BOOST fro the same purpose. You’re moving the Sonos from your WiFi to SonosNet.

Then, unplug all the Sonos devices from power, and reboot the Eero system. Only after the system comes back up should you plug the Sonos devices in to power again.

This should resolve your issues. However, if it doesn’t, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic , and call Sonos Support to discuss it, or post the diagnostic number here for a Community Moderator to pick up. Important to do this after you change the network, of course, and not before. 

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis.

Badge

Bruce, this is helpful information. I hope this solves the problem and if it doesn’t I will connect with Sonos through a diagnostic.

Just remember, it’s not you. It could be your network not working in a compatible way with what Sonos is expecting, but given the right info, that can be fixed ;)

Badge

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner. Connect a speaker right to the Eero base and all speakers and Connects are recognized and active. Thanks for the tips, you did me a solid!