Maximum LAN connection recommended on top of WiFi?

• 24 May 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

Hi have a couple of Sonos devices:

• Play:1 (S1+S2)
  • Play:3 (S1+S2)
  • Move (S1+S2)
  • CONNECT (S1)
  • BRIDGE (S1)

Most of the above devices are connected via LAN (cable).

All devices show up as devices in the router.

After having some issues with the powerline (PLC) in my house (sporadically high ping times between several computers), I analyzed my home network and found out that if the Sonos devices are connected to LAN, the ping times appear, and vice versa … they disappear virtually completely when LAN is unplugged.

As far as I understood/read, maximum LAN connectivity should be established to Sonos devices?

What is recommended?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Hi. What is recommended is not to use powerline adapters with Sonos.

I am not clear exactly what your question is, but it is generally fine to wire as many Sonos as you wish

Badge +1

What is recommended is not to use powerline adapters with Sonos.

Is this a general statement regarding Sonos devices and powerline?
Meaning “Don’t use powerline’s LAN connection and to feed Sonos devices”?

I am not clear exactly what your question is, but it is generally fine to wire as many Sonos as you wish

Ok, that’s also what I understood so far (connect as many Sonos to LAN as you wish). However when I do that, I get DUP pings, very high pings and unstable LAN with other devices on LAN. DUP pings show that multiple routes are taken. Not good!

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/13254/what-could-dup-mean-when-using-ping

In my case, I see Sonos connections from my LAN switch routing via powerline and MOVE WiFi to my router at the same time! I also have a computer hooked to this switch, which also uses the Sonos and the powerline to route (simultaniously). I need to physically cut all Sonos LAN connections to get rid of double routing via Sonos.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126

Unsupported network setups and devices

• Wireless internet connections such as satellite, mobile hotspots, or LTE routers
  • Guest networks or networks that use a portal login page
  • Networks using wireless range extenders 2
  • Ethernet over Power (EOP) devices
  • WPA/WPA2 Enterprise

In this instance the EoP is  probably blocking STP packets. Some makes do. This would cause loops to go undetected and uncorrected.

Badge +1

@ratty

Many thanks. I believe (?!) this explains why I have DUP on some ping packets for a computer connected to the LAN of a Sonos device, where some Sonos devices are connected using EoP. If I don’t use the Sonos w/ powerline, these DUP disappear.

Can you confirm that EoP is the reason for these Dups?

@ratty

Not absolutely, but it seems likely. The symptoms suggest intermittent storms triggered by a loop. 

Badge +1

@ratty

Not absolutely, but it seems likely. The symptoms suggest intermittent storms triggered by a loop. 

After some days of testing without EoPs, it seems that you were right. No DUPs anymore.

However I could not determine the reason for the high ping times, but Sonos doesn’t seem (?!) to be the culprit.

Thanks for previous answers!
Helped!

@ratty

After some days of testing without EoPs, it seems that you were right. No DUPs anymore.

However I could not determine the reason for the high ping times, but Sonos doesn’t seem (?!) to be the culprit.

Thanks for previous answers!
Helped!

JOOI, what make of EoP adapters were/are you using?